Help Please

Dutch&Di

I scanned a document and it appeared on my screen. I saved it and it was still there. I went to attach it and it was all letters and symbols. Bummer. I tried several things and even went to a friends computer,scanned it and sent it to me. It opened fine on her end but still all gobbly de goop on my end.

Later that night I plugged my scanner in to my spare laptop and it went through just fine so it has to be somewhere in a file conversion {?} or something in my computer. Thinking it might be Adobe, I did uninstall and re-install but that wasn't it.

I did notice it last month when I tried to do the same thing but was too busy to really get into it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might resolve this?? I know it is very hard to try and fix things this way but any help would really be appreciated.

Just before I started to post I received an e-mail with an attachment and after downloading it, it is all scramble too.

Thanks so much for any help that may be coming my way. Hugs, Di .

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Di, I'm a poor person to offer anything resembling advice, however it sounds like something is amiss with your text editor settings. Wonder where Stan, Derek, Jack, and the rest of our experts are hanging out right now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks RayIN. It is early yet and someone should reply. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

Hi Di

While you're waiting for an Adobe user to help out.....(if that's what is causing the problem).

I'm not sure what is causing your problem (not a big user of office software) but I can offer something to try , and see if it is a problem with your Adobe.

How about trying a different reader program ? Libre Office is free and easy to install (and uninstall too) here's a link .

http://libreoffice.org.

I've been using this software to do my word processing and pdf stuff for quite a few years and it hasn't given me any problems...yet !

stay tuned

popeye

Thank you for the link. I will try it in the morning but the reason I don't feel it is the Adobe reader is that I also have that on my laptop and the scanned items open there as do any e-mails that have attachments. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

Your scanner software should give you an option of saving the scanned document to several different file formats (.jpg, .pdf, .docx, etc.). A little more information on what you "told" the software to do might be helpful. If you scanned/saved it as a JPG file and subsequently tried to open it with text editor (MS Word for example) it will most likely be all mumbo-jumbo, however, it you open it with a photo viewer it would probably be just fine.

Can you tell us what the file extension is? What software are you trying to view it with?

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I'd try to help but it really sounds like a Windows or Windows program issue and I am way out of practice with Windows, XP is the last version I used for much at all.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Foxit reader is a small download and if that works it is .Adobe.

Do you have the ability to read pdf in your browser? If so, email it to yourself and open the email from the online site and then open themattachment.

Look at the scaner options in your scan program. Something may have been reset or changed.

Sorry for the delay. When the A-fib kicks in, it knocks you for a loop for a bit.

I uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Reader so that's not it.

I can't use Foxit-which I prefer-as the PO online shipping will only allow me to use Adobe. I scrolled through all of the scanner settings and didn't see anything ususual.

I can open these attachments on my phone and on my laptop {saved the same way & using Adobe} so I don't think it is the way I saved things or Adobe.

I did try this morning to save a few of my {non attachment} files to my flash drive and the word corrupted file came up several times so I just cancelled out of that.

I don't know if this is related or if my computer is going down. I did replace the hardrive last February so now I'm really not sure what to do next. Hugs, Di.

SKP #48048

I dumped adobe as a reader and use Sumatra. You can have both, just use adobe for that one purpose. I dislike adobe products because of their huge size, constant updating and security issues. Sumatra is tiny and opens very fast, without having a "helper" running all the time in the background.

Maybe try removing adobe, run ccleaner to get as much of it as possible, reboot and download fresh copy and defaults should be fine.

Thank you for the input. I am fine using Adobe as I only want to use one reader but am still trying to figure out if Adobe is the culprit or if my computer is going bad. I did use your suggestion to remove adobe, run cc, reboot and download a fresh copy but unfortunately, it didn't change anything. Canon did work with me and after checking all my settings and they are good. She had me try opening a scanned item as a jpeg and it opens fine but won't open as a PDF.

It is also very strange that the same Adobe works on my laptop opening the same item as PDF. The only difference I can see so far is that on my laptop when I click on download, a screen automatically opens and says:You have chosen to open with Adobe reader & it does open. When I try to download the same item in my desktop, it automatically goes to the download folder, no message like on the laptop, then when it is finished the "file Coversion" is not in English.

Any suggestions? Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

• 3 weeks later...

Still trying to figure this out but not very successfully. Does this do anything for someone wanting to help. I'm afraid if I just tried this on my own, I'd probably not even have a computer. Any help will be appreciated. Hugs, Di

Acrobat/Reader: PDF files not displaying in the browser

If you are having problems displaying PDF files in the browser using Adobe Acrobat/Reader in an enterprise environment, there are 3 things to check in your environment.

1. Check the registry path for Acrobat or Reader
  2. Repair the HKCR\AcroExch.Document registry key
  3. Change the content-type header on the web server

If these suggestions do not help, then you can try the general suggestions outlined in this technote: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-view-pdf-web.html

Disclaimer: These procedures involve editing the Windows registry. Adobe doesn’t provide support for editing the registry, which contains critical system and application information. Make sure to back up the registry before editing it, or contact a qualified computer service professional to do it for you. For more information about the registry, see the Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

1. Check the registry path for Acrobat or Reader
  1. Go to Start > Run.
  2. Type regedit and click OK.
  3. Browse to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe.
  4. Make sure that the (Default) value is set for the path where Acrobat or Reader is installed.
    • The default path for Reader is “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe”.
    • The default path for Acrobat is “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe”.

Note: If Acrobat or Reader isn’t installed in the default path, make sure that the key’s (Default) value points to the actual location.

If the above registry item doesn’t exist on the system, do the following:

1. Go to Start > Run.
  2. Type regedit and click OK.
  3. Go to Edit > New > Key and create the missing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe.
  4. Go to Edit > New > String Value and name this key (Default).
  5. Select (Default), and then go to Edit > Modify. Type the default path (listed above) in the “Value data” for your product.
  6. Restart the computer.
2. Repair the HKCR\AcroExch.Document registry key

It is possible that this key is damaged, is pointing to an obsolete version of Acrobat or Reader, or is pointing to a third-party PDF viewer.

1. Choose Start > Run, type regedit in the Open text field of the Run dialog box, and then click OK.
  2. Back up your current Registry file:
    1. In the Registry Editor dialog box, choose File > Export.
    2. Type a name for the file and choose the location.
    3. For Export Range, choose All.
    4. Click Save.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.
  4. Right-click AcroExch.Document and select Delete; make sure that you have the correct key, and click Yes on any prompts.
  5. Right-click AcroExch.Document.7 and select Delete; make sure that you have the correct key, and click Yes on any prompts.
  6. Repair your Acrobat or Reader installation using one of the 2 methods below:
  • Repair using Control Panel (Windows).
    Although you can repair your product installation by choosing Help > Repair
    [product]
    Installation, the Control Panel method sometimes provides better results. Close Reader or Acrobat.

1. Click Start > Control Panel.
        • (Windows 7/Vista) Click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
        • (Windows XP) Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
      2. In the list of programs, select Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
      3. Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application.
      4. When the process is complete, click Finish.
  • Repair from within Reader or Acrobat.
    • (Reader) Choose Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation.
    • (Acrobat) Choose Help > Repair Acrobat Installation.

SKP #48048

Archived