Thor buys DRV

hone eagle

Here's couple of statistics for you guys to "reflect upon". Source, RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association). In 2013 all the companies combined produced 70,500 fifth wheels.

South%2520Bend%2520area018.png

By comparison, in 2009, the "slaughter house" year when twenty companies went out of business, that number was down to 36,800 units

South%2520Bend%2520area019.png

So, in a "banner year" of 70,000 rigs, Continental Coach, New Horizon and Spacecraft, with their less than 150 units combined, "carved out" a whopping market share of 0.2%

In the same period of time Grand Design was catapulted to the fourth spot behind Thor, Forrest River and Jayco, producing 1,596 fifths that gave them a market share of 2.3%. That was an increase of 840% over the previous year and market share increase of 784%

Here's RVIA's take on what constitutes a fifth wheel.

South%2520Bend%2520area020.png

Now looking at the market share of the three top guys and a "high flyer" like Grand Design, you tell me where do you think most of the 70,000 fifth's made are priced, closer to the $18,000 or closer to the $160,000. Are you then surprised that the quality in the RV industry generally sucks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All, I have to say that after two years of ownership of a (SUITE), I'm not impressed. My coach has had every possible problem and it still continues. I'm to much into it and have to keep it now, this is my second failure in five years, it started with a 2010 Cameo (JUNK) and now this, oh well ,my loss. I'm sure they all have some problems, but it seems to me that the whole industry has failed miserably!
Have a great day!
Bob Q

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Care to share?? My suite is a few years older than yours but I have been happy with mine.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I must admit I was disappointed in our 06 Mobile Suites. Some issues we had, that should not have been, and was DRV not appliances, left us this way. I felt that later years would have been improved. I would have bought another if they had not changed the slideout mechanics. Our Teton is a much better coach though. No one could have convinced me before I checked them out though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hi Big, if you want to go over to the DRV webb sight you can read the many post that I have made conserning Mobile Suites (mine), to many to write again. Other than that there just seems to be many more complaints and problems than years past with trailers, I've been pulling for a long time now, in fact this is my sixth fiv'er and it just seems as though they don't make them like they used to. Of course this is just my opinion.
Have a great day!
Bob Quinn

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

30 years Retired USARMY

Hi Big, if you want to go over to the DRV webb sight you can read the many post that I have made conserning Mobile Suites

Hmm, I know some will find it hard to believe but I got thrown off that site years ago :rolleyes: and have never returned. Just wasn't worth going back. <_<

Curious ,I am wondering if -'they don't make them like they used to' started when you bought the F550?

Does it have a air ride hitch or pin?

Good question...

2014 smart Fortwo

Hi, I guess I'm missing your point, what does anything have to do with the 550? and yes I do have an air ride hitch with air ride suspension.
Have a good day!
Bob <_<

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

30 years Retired USARMY

If it was a solid hitch it could explain stuff coming loose and other damage /failures ,they are after all pounding down the road in a cat one hurricane with a earthquake thrown in for good measure.The F550 - if it replaced a pick up with a softer riding axle and then suddenly stuff started to happen it could point to a solution.

Which you already have ........so never mind :D

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Hi Hone, well let me first explain that even though I have had problems, none of them are structural and as far as the 550 contribuiting to any problems that I have had, I don't believe that at all. This truck rides as smooths as anyhting I ever had, it is built right for what it has to do. I see that you have a Newmar, thats a good choice, I had a 2000 Kountry Star and never had the problems that I have with these new coaches. Like I said they just don't build them like they used to! I just think they build them cheaper and charge you more for them. Oh by the way if they would have still been building Newmars when I was looking , thats where I would of went.
Have a great day!
BobQ :)

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

30 years Retired USARMY

OK cool just trying to add 'fresh eyes' to the issues,if they are built bad ,designed bad,they will be bad and too many are.

I think they (builders)are caught between a rock and a hard place ,she who must be obeyed wants solid counters, 2 airs, washer dryers etc. etc. - all the goodies,which pack on the pounds , on the other hand a lot of the spouses will not drive "that giant truck" (duelly)or the guy needs the truck to do double duty (daily driver to work and vacation ) compromises are almost always unsatisfactory.

Marketing knows after a certain weight the number of buyers they can sell to gets smaller and smaller.

My trailer sat unsold for 4 years because its heavy and duellies are such a small part of the RV population up here.

good luck

woot woot

Curious ,I am wondering if -'they don't make them like they used to' started when you bought the F550?

Does it have a air ride hitch or pin?

Very interesting question... Can you enlighten me? What's the train of thought here? Thanks

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Very interesting question... Can you enlighten me? What's the train of thought here? Thanks

Very stiff suspensions will pound the trailer to pieces inside and out ,broken welds are a real possibility .If the problems started after the purchase of a truck that is a lot stiffer then before and then issues began........thats what I was thinking- shot in the dark.

However the op has already said his issues were not in that area, and he has a air hitch .

woot woot

We had an older Cardinal which we took to Alaska this summer and the roads did a number on it, time to trade. While in Alaska we saw our first Newmar Kountry Aire and fell in love. It took months to find one used in Lincoln NE, when we got there with the Volvo, they would not let us leave without the Newmar, had it for a year and could not sell it because of weight. They did every thing possible to make the deal work, even new tires (USA) & pay for RV site for a week, we love the new to us 5er, Only found 5 used one in the USA and only 3 we could afford. (2006 Newmar Kountry Aire)

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Very stiff suspensions will pound the trailer to pieces inside and out ,broken welds are a real possibility .If the problems started after the purchase of a truck that is a lot stiffer then before and then issues began........thats what I was thinking- shot in the dark.

However the op has already said his issues were not in that area, and he has a air hitch .

Thanks! Makes sense

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Ralph,

Does the F450 and F550 have the same suspension stiffness?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This might be "more than you need to know", but! We've been married for over 52 years, and have camped all that time, like many folks here, the whole route, bedroll on the ground thru tents, popups, slide-ins, MHs, 5ths (4-all new). 92 Hitchhiker II, 95 Snowbird Legend, both great units, that is after some tweaking. Then, 2000 Hitchhiker Premier w/flat floor slide, and I think for us at least is where many of our problems started. It was a piece of junk. Broken slide, wouldn't seal properly, in or out. Then, after looking at most of the options(New Horizons 60 miles from our home at that time didn't offer much) thinking 2003 Teton Laramie Grand was the one. Ordered it new, cash deal(no trade-in), major remodel 2010-ongoinging, now have about $160K in it. Still like it, but we use it hard. Boondock, desert camp most of the time, etc. We have always had trouble with the slides, and seals. I think when the industry went to a flat floor slide, it was a mistake. Now I'm wondering if I should keep spending more to finish the project, or if I'm just pouring sand down a rat hole? We have looked at some nice units, New Horizons, Forks, Space Craft, and Space Craft has done some great work on our Teton, but we can't find one we like as well as our Teton. We don't need or want fireplaces, dishwashers, 3 TVs, French doors, etc. If I could only fix these crappy slides. What to do??? Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I have and old (really old) unit with four slides which glide on top of the floor and carpet. Yes, it's an inch and half ridge that you can trip on if you are a stumble bum. I looked at flat floor slides and the extension and retraction sequence to see how they "git it done" to drop it into the void and then drag it up out of the void, idiots. I looked at slide out mechanisms and their "integration" into the frame, idiots and half idiots with few exceptions. Even on my 100% custom unit it was not done well and I had to fix it. Sealing slides in an out has been a "challenge" for the industry for a long time, although I see some innovative ideas on some rigs recently. I can fix anything and don't mind "improving things", but there are rigs like this one I had,

012.jpg

which was a pure garbage, after 4 years of pulling it it literally was falling apart. See that bulge in the front cap above the hitch, aha, a broken frame, waiting on the insurance company "decision". They decided to total it. I was a "happy camper" when this piece of junk was taking it's final journey.

026.jpg

Oh' a little bit of "history", Cobra was owned an ran by Mr. Peter Liegl, who sold it, stayed on for a year, got fired from Cobra and Cobra went bankrupt soon after, Liegl bought Cobra's the assets at an auction and started guess what, Forrest River. When we bitched about the issues to Forrest River, there was a total denial of responsibility. I didn't expect any satisfaction just wanted to see their reaction. There was a California law suit in 2011 against Forest River (which Forest River lost), http://www.fearnotlaw.com/wsnkb/articles/trealoff_v_forest_river-43792.html which makes for fascinating reading (long article but the synopsis is in the beginning). Forest River is now part of Warren Buffet empire. Buffet was recently embarrassed for letting Liegl pull some financial stunts at Forest River selling parts (allegedly) to the company from his "personally owned" company at inflated prices. Once you get to know some of the "major players" in the industry you get the sense that the last thing they want to discuss in their boardroom meetings is quality and innovation.

Oh, one other thing, remember that "investigation" by government (FEMA) about the cheap FEMA trailers loaded with formaldehyde making people sick, Liegl was "invited" that hearing too.

Hi All, my 550 has auto air ride suspension and a air ride hitch, rides very well with a load on it and is confortable without a load. You can get them built the way you want them, just get a chassis cab and go for it!
BobQ ;)

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

30 years Retired USARMY

Sealing slides in an out has been a "challenge" for the industry for a long time, although I see some innovative ideas on some rigs recently.

Have you seen this one yet, Phoenix? The front cap slide out?

main.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

Have you seen this one yet, Phoenix? The front cap slide out?

Terrible idea! If my Teton had a front cap slide out, my wife would just buy more clothes to cram into the closet and I'd be stuck having to tow with the front slide out "out". And I'll bet that I wouldn't be the only one here with that problem.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil, luckily it is the head of the bed that is in that slide out, not the typical closet. :)

It is a Crossroads "Hill Country". Strangely enough it is not on the Crossroads web page, but my little sister is in the process of buying one of these.

18423758-1e26-4431-b4a6-23602684352a_zps

2014 smart Fortwo

Pretty good layout for a 32 footer, the front bed slide gives you a more decent closet/entertainment cabinet and an ability to walk around the bed. I always liked side isle "full bathrooms" regardless of the size of the rig. The "open concept" of having part of the bathroom integrated with the bedroom is really hokey, you wouldn't build a house like that, then it necessitates a "private" head of four square feet where you sit with your knees against the wall in front of you. Most outhouses and portable toilets are bigger than that.

Archived