Thor buys DRV

hone eagle

I'm ready to help you Rick... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you gonna help with financing too Jack :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Are you gonna help with financing too Jack :D

I've just gotta know what would a 38 ft nice but "no excessive frills" spacecraft or Majestic cost me?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Spacecraft will be cheaper if it is pretty much "standard".

You have to be more specific on the NH - there are too many variations to guess a price without more guidance.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

It's going to be a few years I hope.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I've just gotta know what would a 38 ft nice but "no excessive frills" spacecraft or Majestic cost me?

Carl, A typical 34 foot SpaceCraft with 3 slide outs starts at $90,000. I think it cost us about $2K per foot. My 44.5 foot trailer (no slides) was less than $90k, before options. As Jack said, the options are where you can add money quickly. For example, if you are happy with Oak cabinets (the standard) then you will pay less than someone who wants Cherry or ironwood or mahogany, or ... same thing goes with floor coverings, etc, etc, etc.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

Guess we'll go sell our '13 Landmark... Apparently it's going to fall apart, the frame will crack and it will just plain fall apart.

That darn 10K we pulled it last year was just lucky I guess. Hey Raquel, yours falling apart also.

If you have the funds to buy a custom rig or order a high end unit that is great. There are some beautiful 5vers out there some we've been in are built with the same quality of our friends Newmar coach.

But, we buy what we can afford and like and it's a Landmark and we love it.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Dave, I have said many times I believe the Landmark is one of the best mass produced units out there. It doesn't have the frame work of a DRV but It doesn't weigh as much either. I have not read where anyone downed a Landmark either. Yes it is owned by Thor but most of Thors units aren't this quality.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Dave, I have said many times I believe the Landmark is one of the best mass produced units out there. It doesn't have the frame work of a DRV but It doesn't weigh as much either. I have not read where anyone downed a Landmark either. Yes it is owned by Thor but most of Thors units aren't this quality.

I certainly don't want to get into a coach war but when we purchased our Redwood it was being marketed as Thor's "Cadillac". An awful lot has happened at Thor over the last year which now calls that marketing strategy into question. Even though we couldn't be happier with our RW purchase, it will be extremely difficult for me to ever consider another Thor product again. Why? I have to believe that these changes will ultimately weaken the resale value of our Redwood.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I'm not dissing anyone's choice. Like Dave said you buy what you can afford. We never intend to be full timers so our RVing will consist of lots of miles pulled with short stays at varied locations. That's why I'm less concerned with interior (don't tell my wife) and more concerned with frame and suspension. Unfortunately those substructure items add a lot of costs and attention to those details seem to be more reliable on higher end trailers. In reality my next 5er will probably be a newer used model. On edit need to add DRV uses Lippert frames speced to their standards. You have to admit Lippert doesn't have the best reputation. Their defense is they are specing to their customers desires but there have been numerous examples on this and other forums of shoddy and amateurish welds. I'm just hoping Thor would not spec less robust frames on the DRVs coupled with poor welds. As Terry posted above DRVs quality may have been going downhill before the purchase which prompted the sale since quality costs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite, you are always better off with a high quality used unit, IMO. Even if you have to renovate the interior or upgrade the running gear you will end up with (arguably) a better coach for less money. If you start with a "best in class" infrastructure, the "glitz" can be added to your own tastes.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Suite, you are always better off with a high quality used unit, IMO. Even if you have to renovate the interior or upgrade the running gear you will end up with (arguably) a better coach for less money. If you start with a "best in class" infrastructure, the "glitz" can be added to your own tastes.

Wow. You two expressed my sentiments to a tee. I went to the Tampa show last year just to look and see what I want to buy in the future, in terms of "structure". In my eyes, frame and axles trump counter tops and cabinets. Like Suite, we'll never full time, but I hope to spend perhaps half of the year on the road in 3-4 week chunks.

Just yesterday I was poking around on the net, looking at 4 to 10 year old units. There are a couple of nice Mobile Suites close to Suite....only 5 hours from here. And a toy hauler New Horizons out in KS..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Glenn,

I know what you mean and I used our rig as an example of the Thor conglomerate (Heartland) not being all bad and Lippert not always being crap. Since it's the Heartland division of Thor, I would expect and hope that they may well keep the quality up and perhaps market the DRV as their top of line, or a step above Landmark...

All that said, I have also seen the totally amateurish welds on Lippert products and know one that had similar issues as others have reported.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I really believe the welding on chassis will get worse. Quality professional welding wages are thru the roof. I make 40.00 per hour and all over time double pay. With wages like this manufacturers won't be able to hire quality welders. jfyi

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have to agree... some of the non-critical welds look like first day tech school students. Or mine on a really shaky day. Most others look pretty good but nothing like a truly professional weld.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

frames

I really believe the welding on chassis will get worse. Quality professional welding wages are thru the roof. I make 40.00 per hour and all over time double pay. With wages like this manufacturers won't be able to hire quality welders. jfyi

Other than companies like Country Coach, Space Craft, or New Horizon who weld their own, frame welding "never got better".

2794209050096176628dLIpjP_fs.jpg

017a.jpg

As long as they can sell tens of thousands of entry level junk fifths for south of $20K,

2119475220096176628UkJBUw_fs.jpg

2933745180096176628PWvDqG_ph.jpg

2398923530096176628pZlVNO_fs.jpg

they can happily go and ignore few "fussy guys" who read and learn from this forum.

Not only Lippert frame shops couldn't afford you, you wouldn't want to work for a shop that puts out crap like that. But they have no fear, few night at the local vo-tech and a picture glued to the top of the welder,

2201468660096176628UuJcTo_ph.jpg

how to "do it right" (a reminder) and you got yourself a "certified Lippert frame welder"

I have a Grand Design trailer and I love it. That being said I have the 99th trailer that they ever built. Some might stay away from such a new product but I am glad I went with one of their earlier trailers. I just went this past week and looked at some 15's and I'm not as impressed with the newer trailers. Just like any major manufacturer they have started trying to make more money by charging more and saving on quality and extras. I'm not saying that there quality is bad, it's just not where it was when my trailer was produced. My trailer has lots of extra features the new ones don't come with anymore but the price has gone up almost 10K from what the asking price of mine was. Now would I buy from them again, absolutely. They have made improvements to the trailers that I really like too. If I we're purchasing a non custom built trailer again I would own another Grand Design. BTW, they have some of the nicest toy haulers on the market in my opinion. Check them or at show near you. Typically one of the owners of the company attends the big shows and is more than happy to chat with customers.

When DRV left hydraulic slide outs, this was the factor that caused us to leave them. They went to a less costly system and raised prices. There are posted on various forums problems with DRVs that previously had not been there. Not bad mouthing DRV just believe this has been coming for a while.

I've got one with the troublesome Schwintek bedroom slides. And the constant problem oil-bath hubs (no problems now since switching to grease-pack last year). And problems with just about every other component on the RV in the past two years since I've owned it (bought new). If I even suggested another DRV my wife would kill me.

Suite, you are always better off with a high quality used unit, IMO.

I agree but am curious as to your recommendations for finding them. So many used units we look at are inundated with pet odors. Or air freshener trying to cover up said odors.

I agree but am curious as to your recommendations for finding them. So many used units we look at are inundated with pet odors. Or air freshener trying to cover up said odors.

On the topic of high quality used units.....

There is not magic bullet to this. It is difficult and requires a nationwide search, as anyone who has found one will tell you. You just have to be persistent.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Grand Designs aren't bad but are not in the DRV class. Cheaper construction and less storage. Better than most "vacation quality" vehicles, though. Probably a good "part-timing" choice.

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Archived