Thor buys DRV

hone eagle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, they are on a buying spree aren't they!! Guess they want to be the biggest and baddest!We'll see how it unfolds. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

That's depressing. That means quality will probably go downhill.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I knew when others did. I get the RV Daily newsletter and they had it in there....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Now, now Carl, good value alway trumps quality. Just imagine what leverage Thor will have over Lippert, anything Thor bought for buck fifty now they'll be able to get for buck forty nine.

Point taken ;)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Who's bigger now Thor or Forest River?

Forest River makes 1.6 billion annually, Thor about a tenth of that. What is important to understand is that companies making high end quality trailers, New Horizon, SpaceCraft, Continental Coach, etc., exist on annual incomes of between 5-10 million per year. So what's the point. Both Forest River and Thor manufacture few millions of dollars of high end trailers to satisfy their high end customers. Subtract that from 1.6 billion or 180 million and figure out how is the "balance" of their annual income made? I would venture to say, lots of luan plywood and Lippert parts. In big corporations with a span of products, from expensive to cheap, the preeminent question is? Does the quality migrate down, or the cheapness migrates up?

I hate this!! We were looking to go with another DRV product in a couple of more years. I'm thinking we'll be looking elsewhere, but we shall see.

Joe

2017 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 dually 4.10 Aisin trans. Rear factory air suspension.
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta

Look up Grand Design trailers. The company literally exploded onto the scene with units catering to the "upper quality" crowd. In two years they moved into fourth position in these behind Thor, Forest River and Jayco. What is interesting that the three founders of Grand Design were highly placed executives at Thor prior to starting Grand Design. Apparently they felt "too constraint" when in Thor's fold.

It was always my understanding that DRV was a privately held company not one controlled by share holders or an investment group. So if that is true, it would seem that this was not some kind of corporate take over but rather a decision by the owners to sell. Apparently Thor was the one that stepped up with enough cash to make an acceptable offer. No real way of knowing why or whether one of the other high end makers was interested and just couldn't meet the selling price. Perhaps the resurgence in the RV industry is not as robust as some predictions if the smaller companies can not afford to expand. Would it have been better for the owners to just shut the doors or maybe file for bankrupcy? I am guessing that this sale at least provides current owners that have a warranty continued coverage and an availability of parts. When Monaco went bankrupt before selling out we were left with NADA as far as guarantied support.

I hate this!! We were looking to go with another DRV product in a couple of more years. I'm thinking we'll be looking elsewhere, but we shall see.

Joe

That makes two of us. :(

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I for one, have no clue as to what goes on in the RV industry. The former GM of Redwood (a Thor product), who was highly respected by the owners, appeared to have been pushed out at RW. Now he's top dog at Landmark. Go figure.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Phoenix, I'll check out the Grand Design at Tampa. I don't have a lot of knowledge on them. I assume they are akin to the Landmark in positioning?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well the downside will be quality degradation but the upside for many will be the relatively short time it takes Thor to reduce the product to that of a 3/4 ton towable. Haaar!

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

When DRV left hydraulic slide outs, this was the factor that caused us to leave them. They went to a less costly system and raised prices. There are posted on various forums problems with DRVs that previously had not been there. Not bad mouthing DRV just believe this has been coming for a while.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well let me give you heads up on Quality LOL dam the tears in my eyes from laughing make it hard to type. I own a 2013 Elite Suite and for the money I paid it is a freaking JOKE. I am a inspector for the Oil and Gas Industry it is my job to pay attention. When I ordered it I informed them that I was in quality control and expected the best and they didn’t even come close to deliver it. My next one will be a Country Coach or a New Horizons.

That makes two of us. :(

Can I say "crap" on here? Guess I own my first and last DRV. I dealt with Thor professionally and won't deal with them on a personal basis.

Guess New Horizon or SpaceCraft might get my next trailer order.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Archived