Test photo from Google Photos

Al F

It would be nice if we had more storage space here on the Escapee forums but that costs money and that money has to come from somewhere, usually member's dues. Escapees doesn't run any external advertising, just the little internal ads at the top of the page so there is no income to support the forum operation.

I have to agree with the Escapees management when it comes to many of the changes and choices they make.

We used to have free e-mail as a member benefit, the world changed and providing e-mail became a big expense, not just the server and software but all the anti-spam filtering that was needed. Then there were members who kept abusing the Escapees server by forwarding the mail from it to some other service and reporting it as spam there. That of course got the Escapees server blacklisted and all the users unable to send e-mail until hours were spent clearing the blockages. With the advent of all the free e-mail options and the declining number of actual users having the Escapees continuing to offer it just wasn't an effective use of resources.

Sort of the same thing here, they give us enough space to allow a small number of pictures for folks with limited needs but to hold down expenses, storage space as well as bandwidth, they allow linking to external photo storage places.

I miss my old escapees e-mail address and find posting pictures from remote sites to be a bit of a pain but I sure like not having a bunch of advertising and trackers to block when I visit here.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand all of that. My biggest complaint is that problems just don't get attended to for very long periods.... This posting pictures is a good example.

Most blogs and places one can post pictures will accept shortened URLs but not here.

Even when I capture an image, have it saved to a proper place, get the long URL link to it and paste it into the insert photo URL field and have it actually show up in the preview of the post, I still get an error message that this extension is not authorized for this forum and it will not let me save the post. This interruption in workflow really kills one's ability to respond tersely by image to questions others have. it also makes it less likely that future help will be attempted by that same author.

I do have some experience solving problems and have to constantly rise above these kinds of problems to be of any significant assistance to anyone. Eventually, I have to take a sabbatical from these forums when the frustration just gets to be more time consuming than I can afford. Of course, I am assuming that anyone cares much about what I post, anyway, but that is irrelevant.

People are becoming graphically centered in their daily lives and that should be the go to technology base for the communications that they participate in.

I know, I know. I should put this post in the bugs and suggestions forum and I have on numerous occasions with no response whatsoever... and the issues still exist across multiple OSes, platforms, browsers, tools and years. The shear amount of focus that participation in these forums bring to Escapees ought to be worth something to the bottom line. As such, it should be taken more seriously by those making decisions and counting their revenue streams.

I am just saying that a large value to Escapees organization has grown in these forums and better attention ought to given to this value.

That is all.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

You can always contact the admins and discuss things with them. If they have the time and/or budget you might get something done quickly, if not it may well be tossed onto the wish list and gone over at budget time to see where it fits in.

Keep in mind the admins do not normally visit the forum unless they get a report or e-mail asking them to, or a phone call.

-------

I answered your error message question in the topic you started about it.

It is a matter of using the proper method to post pictures, whether from Google+ or OneDrive or Photobucket. All of these services however do have storage limits as well. Plus if, let's say, a photo I have posted on Photobucket somehow gets lost there, only a placeholder will show up here. Fortunately I do not need to post pictures very often so I can live with the limitations. If I get to my storage limits on the cloud storage sites I will start to trim files. If I happen to trim a photo that I have linked to from any of these forums, I guess anyone reading that particular thread will not see the photo.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Thanks Stan. I saw your post under Bugs. I sure hope the new site is going to be a lot more user friendly.

Google Photos has unlimited photo storage as long as they are no larger than 2048 x 2048 in size.

Google photos is about the only mechanism right now that does not impose a lot of mechanical manipulation to get an image, whether a photo, screen clip or whatever, to post properly in a topic on SKPs.

I do a lot of "by example" clips to attempt to clarify the text. Going from a screen clip to SKP is about the most involved of all of the processes but the one I need to use the most.

Like in past years when an update or a platform change was pending.... I guess I will just have to wait and see to find out whether this will be any better or not.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

2014-02-24_10-27-52_328.jpg It looks like it finally worked.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Have to try my test, as well! :D

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+jMichaelHill/posts/FVh8WF1Mrra?pid=6092457906932657858&oid=102582777968864789490

Guess I need to go back and re-read. Oops!

Photographer on the go! Visit my website @ www.jmhillphoto.com or visit my blog

@ http://jmhillphoto.blogspot.com/ to see what we've been up to lately!

Open the image in a new tab if the URL ends in .JPG or the like just click the image button (little shrub thingie here) and paste it in.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-aooOtV1XXqg/VIzCL-e9rsI/AAAAAAAAEMk/jKSkD7Cs3fA/w1107-h702-no/trailer-7883.jpg

trailer-7883.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Post the link in a code block and we'll look at it. That is the little button with <> on it.

Code: (from your image here)

http://www.rvnetwork.com/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-26880.jpg

As an image: (the little tree button)

photo-thumb-26880.jpg

Ok and thanks for the offer. I got this url from photobucket by clicking on "IMG" which copies a link to your clipboard. For this test I pushed the "image" button and pasted the copied link information. I left in intact and did not trim off the stuff trailing .jpg and received the following error message. "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." So I went back to photobucket and collected the same link but this time deleted the stuff that followed .jpg and the stuff that preceded http. The result in here20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg

Below is the full link.

Later,

J

20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

The link you posted as "the result is here" that isn't working is this one: (you can only see the link if you use the CODE button (<>) to post it)

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Kodiakgringo/Landmark/20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg'>http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Kodiakgringo/media/Landmark/20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Kodiakgringo/Landmark/20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg

The working one is:

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Kodiakgringo/Landmark/20130826_120711_zpse151fda7.jpg

Photobucket forum use:

open photobucket and select picture

right-click the image and open in new tab

Copy the URL up to the ?=00000 part

On the forum click the little tree icon, image tool-tip and paste the URL in the pop-up

• 2 weeks later...

From another topic:

The really easy way to post photos here is to go to this site and follow the directions. The site was developed for another forum, but the links it generates work here as well.

Archived