Defrosting Frigerator.

kathydavidb

Will dfrosting the frig. help it cool properly? Mine had ice build up on the fins and the thermometer in there said 34 where it is normally around 40. Thanks, Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Yes - the ice can keep the thermistor from working properly especially if it's iced over where it fastens onto the fins. It's cold there, so it won't call for it to cool like it should. You should be defrosting a couple times per year (if fulltiming) but in warm, humid weather the frosting will happen faster the more you open the door. Also keeping food covered and drying moisure off before putting it into the frig will help as will letting foods/leftovers cool before putting them in there.

I need to do mine too. It's been wet and warm so mine has frost starting also.

Pat DeJong

It is important to keep the heat transfer fins clear of ice for proper cooling, mostly due to good air circulation. The symptom is usually that temperatures rise inside of the chill box area rather than to fall however. Since the temperature is sensed by the thermistor it can be covered in ice and so fail to call for cooling even though temperatures inside are too warm, or it may just have too little heat transfer area left for good cooling of the entire refrigerator. If the temperature is being measured near the cooling fins then you could see what you are experiencing due to pooling of the cold air near the fins and a lack of air circulation but in general the symptom of iced up fins is too little cooling.

Anytime that the refrigerator doesn't seem to be working properly and the fins are coated with ice, the first step should be to defrost it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Once you defrost it, a refrigerator fan might help keep the temperatures more uniform. They are available at camping stores and Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2606-FridgeCool-11-28-Switch/dp/B002N5W8Q4

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I would rather have the inside around 34º then 40º if that is the air temps.

If the iced fins are in the refrigerator part not the freezer.

Then just move the cold setting down one setting, that usually takes care of the icing problem.

It does in my Dometic.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Once you have defrosted the unit pay attention to see if the cooling will cycle on and off as needed. It may be that the thermistor has quit and then the cooling unit will run continuously. That mite be why it has frozen over now, but worked properly before.

The easiest way to test the system for operation is to run it on gas until you have determined if the system is cycling properly. If you have a electric meter you could check the ohm reading on the thermistor. But there could be something else wrong with the unit. Watching the unit operate on gas will tell if the unit is functioning properly with out having to watch an amp meter on the AC heater wire. Watching a meter is a pain to check compared to learning the sound of the propane operating if you can hear it inside your camper. Or if needed go outside to the fridge and listen for the noise of the propane operation to see if the unit will cycle off or not.

Also it might be good time to inspect the burner area to see if there is any problem with the cooling unit leaking.

I have also seen where the fridge compartment was packed too tight for proper air flow in the cooling box area and caused problems. But since it was working before that is probably not the issue.

Vern

Thanks for all of the info. I defrosted the frig. and melted all of the ice off of the fins. I think my thermometer was just below the ice in the rear picking up that temp. Also from the Holidays we had it loaded up with food. Now it seems to be OK again. I'll continue to check it. Thanks again, Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived