Best and Least Modifications

GoldRush

Would do - best bang for the buck, greatest satisfaction is the LED turn signals on my mirrors, followed by my "keyboard" jake brake.

Wouldn't do- single and change gear ratio. I singled using the rear-rear and then changed the gears in THAT rear. If there is a next time, I'll sell the whole tandem to a salvage yard as a matched set, and buy a "factory single" axle with the right ratio. Rated 23K, tandems are 20K each, brakes etc.

SIBERNUT,

What gear ratio do you have in your truck now ? If you could do the gear ratio over, what ratio would you go with ?

LED turn signal for your mirrors, where did you get your parts from ? Was to hard to do ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

For thos asking about the mirror-turn-signals: I used a hi-mounted brake light from an Astro Van or S-10 blazer. I get a LOT of respect when I change lanes. Look like they belong there, smooth. If you want pics, PM me with an off-forum address. I don't have them on a photobucket site or anything

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I looked, Denver, but did not see anything on the neck extensions....I must have missed them.

I did see some super singles, though. Are you running them on a singled rear? You realize Michelin has said not to do that, right?

Jack-

What was the issue with the Michelin X-One Wide tires on a singled rear? We have spoken to Volvo and they have no problems with a singled 20K rear end and "super single" tires (Michelin X-One).

Thanks

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Jack, Thank you for your input. After discussing this with my builder, we decided not to run them. Sold them to a guy from Eastern Ohio that is building a rat rod. I'm sorry I thought the filler neck extensions were on there. I'll go through my pix and see if I can find them. If not, I'll get to a couple of pix this week and try to get them up here for everyone.

Sibernut, I too are interested in the turn signal lights. PM me or at dngeitgey@gmail.com

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Jack-

What was the issue with the Michelin X-One Wide tires on a singled rear? We have spoken to Volvo and they have no problems with a singled 20K rear end and "super single" tires (Michelin X-One).

Thanks

Who did you speak with at Volvo - a Volvo engineer, or a parts counter guy? The answer for Volvo would be is if the order entry system lets you order a singled truck with them. Rick S might know the answer to that, or Gregg might, but he may still be in Alaska.

I'm going by what Michelin published at one time, but have not looked recently. I'm also going by what Kenny Doonan has said at various Rallies - which was consistent with what Michelin was saying at the time. I can guess at the reasoning, but it would be a guess, so I'm not speculating.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack...I don't have your reputation on this Forum so allow me to both guess and speculate. :D

Wouldn't you be dead on the side of the road with a failure to a super single? If you blow a tire in one of your dually pairs, the weight of your rigs doesn't prevent you from continuing to your next stop. I hope I don't embarrass myself completely before the ECR. :ph34r:

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Jack...I don't have your reputation on this Forum so allow me to both guess and speculate. :D

Wouldn't you be dead on the side of the road with a failure to a super single? If you blow a tire in one of your dually pairs, the weight of your rigs doesn't prevent you from continuing to your next stop. I hope I don't embarrass myself completely before the ECR. :ph34r:

You could also have a safety issue depending on the weights involved. Remember, most trucks operate in the commercial world, not the RV world. I still won't speculate, and someone that is more interested than I am can dig out if Michelin still recommends against using them in the fashion we are discussing... :) They are pretty nice tires, though....and look cool on the truck. IMO.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

When I ordered my truck I was asked if I wanted super singles with the 23K rear axle and just said no. I was not interested since I could order more aggressive tread pattern in the dually setup. I also know it is not an option in the salesmans ordering guide and he would have had to ask Volvo engineering if it was possible. I gave him a call and he will get the answer for us. :)

Thanks, Rick. It will be interesting to see if they allow it. I must say, I think the SS look cool. That is not a statement about function, though.

www.jackdanmayer.com

My guess is its purely a Liability issue for them. With either tandem axles or tandem tires on one axle you will have at least one tire maintaining stability. Now you say, why don't we rum Tandems up front? Because no one does so you aren't opening up your company for liability concerns of the companies lawyers.

I drove SS on commercial HDT's. Better mileage, but lose one & you're dead on the side of the road. From experience, a tire servisc bringing you one is going to call for an armored car to take away the charges. NO MERCY.

I personally feel the SS on a lightly loaded RV/HDT rear will inhibit sipe'ing of water and it may float on braking in the wet.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I love the look of the singles.. Reminds me of a 75 Camaro I had with super slick tires on it.. They were 20" wide. My worry about the singles if you blow one, your truck and RV are going to feel the pain too.. PLUS you are out of service until its repaired.

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Singled or tandem, blow a super single you are dead where you sit. Either way you still have one rim on the ground and you don't want to drive on that.

No different than blowing both duals on one corner...rare occurence to blow two at once but it does happen. Usually happens when one is flat and the other gets overloaded and driven on for too long.

Jack,

As practical matter is it possible to use your cameras as a recordable security system? I've read so many posts on Facebook about truck and trailer thefts?

I am setting up a security 16 channel DVR for my HDT. It will be used for my HDT/trailer camera system. Used systems are available on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars, with cameras. Even on the old systems, the picture quality is fantastic. The DVR and the cameras are 12VDC powered.

Driver display will be a 13" inch monitor that will be switchable to my GPS computer. The computer has a SSD (twirling disk drives don't like bouncy, bouncy) and is powered by 12VDC. The passenger will have a 20" monitor.

Regarding Intrusion Alert: I like the idea! I just have to figure out how to do it. GPS tracking would be too kool (like a lojack system). Let's see, thief steals the Volvo, a message is sent to me. I track the Volvo, as it is being driven away by the thief. Me and my cousin "Bubba" "meet and greet" the thief, at the next stop light. LOL! Oh, we call the police and alert them to HDT location.

What are you using Ron.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

When I ordered my truck I was asked if I wanted super singles with the 23K rear axle and just said no. I was not interested since I could order more aggressive tread pattern in the dually setup. I also know it is not an option in the salesmans ordering guide and he would have had to ask Volvo engineering if it was possible. I gave him a call and he will get the answer for us. :)

Our salesman for Volvo checked with the factory engineer. X-One wide base tires are not on the normal spec sheet. It is a request. Volvo will allow it but Michelin "recommends" that 4x2 trucks outfitted with the SS tires have the stability control (VEST) as an option due to any "rapid loss of tire pressure" condition. IT is a potential issue but they REALLY look cool.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Jack, I use Passtime. It is what the credit unions use.

Call

Tyler Rich

Account Manager

(303) 962-3163

Tell him Ron Corwin referred you. I don't get anything but he will know what you are doing. He will set up your account for you and send out the devices. I think it was $125 for the tracker and 3 yrs of service. after that I just pay for service.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Same story for a 4x2 KW. It isn't a published option on a 4x2 but you can go into application engineering where they analyze your soul. Most likely you'll need to be straight truck (bed), have stability control, no high cg drom, probably over 200" WB, and probably severely restricted on how far behind bogie your 5th wheel can be. But they are the ones that get into the details on what you want your truck to be, what you are all about, and hopefully come up with a truck to match. So yes, it is possible but painful.

So yes, it is possible but painful.

Sounds like a bad idea if it is that hard to get the Manufacturers to agree to it.... JMO.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived