Best and Least Modifications

GoldRush

What is the single best modification you've made to your HDT and what is the one you wouldn't do over again?

This could be about anything mechanical (Gearmaster, power upgrades, genset), creature comfort (computer mounts, stereo, seating) or Cosmetic (repaint, bed fabrication).

Hopefully this will be fun and not beat up anyone's product type of thing.

Chito

There is really no reason to make mechanical modifications to most HDTs.....meaning gearing, engine, etc.

I think the best thing I've done to mine is to single it. That would be true of most of my trucks....single is what I prefer for various reasons. That does not apply to everyones needs, though.

Of course the hauler body is a necessity for the smart.....

I also like the monitor and cameras. I have a total of 6 cameras - three on truck and tree on trailer. Nota all are "necessary" but I do find them all useful from time to time.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

As practical matter is it possible to use your cameras as a recordable security system? I've read so many posts on Facebook about truck and trailer thefts?

Sure, if you were to set them up in such a fashion. But it is not trivial.

First you have to provide power to them ALL the time if you want a recordable security system. Solar comes to mind, or plugged in all the time.

Second, and more difficult, is you have to get the "footage" out of the truck on a live feed. It does no good to have an onboard recording device if it is taken with the truck. So that means a mechanism for "cloud" storage....on a constant stream, or at least on an "alarmed" stream. Not cheap or easy to do, but possible in a number of ways.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Would do - best bang for the buck, greatest satisfaction is the LED turn signals on my mirrors, followed by my "keyboard" jake brake.

Wouldn't do- single and change gear ratio. I singled using the rear-rear and then changed the gears in THAT rear. If there is a next time, I'll sell the whole tandem to a salvage yard as a matched set, and buy a "factory single" axle with the right ratio. Rated 23K, tandems are 20K each, brakes etc.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Bob,

A modified Bunk Bed is one mod I'm considering. What I'd like to do is add seats for more passengers where the current bunk is and if there is enough head room left move the bunk above the seats.

I won't know if that's practical until I get the measuring tape out but that's project 157 on the list.

Other than the smart bed,

Number one would be the new HP Series seat with BackCycler from National Seating for the DW - no more complaints about long days. In fact the usual response to "Are you good for two more hours?" is "I am if you are.";

Number two would be new headlight lenses with NAPA StreetGlow bulbs;

Number three the Hadley trumpets mounted through the front bumper to replace the wimpy factory air horn.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Best: Upgrading to the 2006+ style side mirrors, adding LED strips for turn signals on mirrors, air hose reel behind passenger side fairing, WheelSkinz leather steering wheel cover (the size is 17.7 x 4 for the stock Volvo wheel), and (go figure!) headlights.

Least: Added factory fog/driving lights. Maybe the driving lights still add something, but the fog lights don't do much. I also lost about 1 mpg by fixing several exhaust leaks (including a pretty large hole in the muffler).

On edit, I guess I didn't read the question. Single best thing, not including headlights, would be the mirrors.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Oh yeah, the WheelSkinz was one of the first things I did, big improvement over the stock rubber wheel - which was filthy!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Bob,

A modified Bunk Bed is one mod I'm considering. What I'd like to do is add seats for more passengers where the current bunk is and if there is enough head room left move the bunk above the seats.

I won't know if that's practical until I get the measuring tape out but that's project 157 on the list.

That is what I am doing now. I have the 670, I removed the lower bunk and gutted the back, even the carpets. I am installing new carpet/underlay and installing three more Volvo air ride seats. I just got the seat bases today. Also adding two 15x25 sliding windows for the rear bunk.

Not much to look at now, just a bare floor, but I will get pictures taken of the progress.

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I haven't installed it yet, but the best mod would be the camera system. 4 Camera's, 3 on the camper, 1 on the truck.

Least mod would be one that was already installed on the truck. Its an Ample Power system DC generator system. Expensive but not what we need.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

From my standpoint, just having our HDT a year, into the conversion. I'd have to say the filler neck extensions that make it so you don't have to reach clear over the bed to wrestle with the cap to fill.

The least...don't know yet, We're still pretty giddy about the move ...

Oh and by the way, Why didn't someone tell me this is a never ending project?...

Denver and Judy

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Selling the 1 ton and getting the truck :D

The best modification was the custom Gooseneck hitch,

Other things that are almost as high on the list, Singling, 12' flat deck, 250 gallon custom stainless steel water tank that sits behind the axel and wraps around the frame.

Hard to list the single most as all the mods where required for what I needed to do with the truck, the deck allows me to haul the car and when unloaded allows me to haul the hay and water to dry camp.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Would do - best bang for the buck, greatest satisfaction is the LED turn signals on my mirrors

How would someone do this ? What product would you use ? Is the LED attached to the glass on the mirror ? Does anyone have any pictures of this mod ? This idea sounds like a good safety idea. I know that my truck could use this mod.

Sorry for the highjack,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Bob,

When I sold my HDT, the new owners wanted me to make a few changes for them...including seating in the back...A friend helped me do it. We did lots of head scratching, but managed to add two seats, and leave the factory bunk bed in place...it worked real good, and the new owners loved it..

Here are a few pictures of what we did..

We used Lincoln Continental Leather seats, cut approximately ~2" off the lower bunk platform, then replaced with 3/4" plywood to hold the seat tracks so they still could be adjustable.

We then made an angle adapter that bolted solid into some factory threaded holes in the back of the sleeper, and bolted on the seat belt holders.

Not the exact layout I would have done for myself, but exactly what the new owners wanted...

They also wanted some small windows, so I took an old pair of real boat windows and put them too.

Cost was minimal....

Cheers,

Bob

410642386.jpg

410642387.jpg

410642389.jpg

410642388.jpg

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Train air horns. Have already prevented one accident. Plus, the kids love them.

Captain, U. S. Marine Corps (Retired)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan VMI Equipped For Mom

2001 Dodge 2500 SLT V10

1977 M151A2 Military Jeep "Ma Deuce" & M416 Jeep Trailer

1965 Jaguar 3.8 S-Type aka "Miss Kitty"

http://www.mofrenchbulldogs.com

Train air horns. Have already prevented one accident. Plus, the kids love them.

Had train horns on my F350.. They did prevent a few accidents too, plus I am sure a few other drivers had to make a beeline home for an underwear change. ;)

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Gold Rush,

I'll try to get a few shots of the filler neck extensions and put them on here. I usually don't have much luck, so I add them to my Facebook page ( Denver N. Geitgey Announcer ) under Photos / Albums / VOLVO build.

If you have any other questions just ask !

Denver and Judy

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

I looked, Denver, but did not see anything on the neck extensions....I must have missed them.

I did see some super singles, though. Are you running them on a singled rear? You realize Michelin has said not to do that, right?

www.jackdanmayer.com

I have seen Ron's turn indicators on the mirrors and they are fantastic. I would like to do it one day.. I will let him share the details if he has time.

I also would like to see the fuel filler neck extensions! With the Smart bed I could also use them.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

As far as LED turn signals go, I used a couple of these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/side-emitting/side-emitting-led-light-strips-with-single-color-leds-outdoor-led-tape-light-with-18-leds-per-foot-1-chip-335-smd-leds/1542/ They're stuck on the outside edge of the mirror housing, and the wiring is spliced into the repeater on the side of the cab near the door handle. In my case, that repeater is all but blocked by the motorhome body unless you're right next to it. I'll try to take a few shots of them, but it'll be late tonight.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived