YUMA AZ TO EUGENE OR QUICKLY

Dave O

There's not really any other way other than west on I-8 then up I-5.. but gads.. what a boring drive. I wish I had something to suggest, but if you don't have time to take the coastal highway it's just a whole lot a nuthin... Safe travels though. :)

I agree on the route and since you are traveling directly, I suspect that you want to stay close to the highways. If so, I suggest in Redlands, CA you stop at Mission RV Park but if you want to go off route a few miles, Yucaipa Regional Park is a very nice place to stop. I would call ahead for either one to be sure that you can get a spot.

Even though we love the place we go in Eugene to get work done, Carrier RV Service, I don't think we would drive there just to get a new fridge installed, especially in winter. There should be places in Arizona that do good work. For example friends were happy getting a residential installed by RV Renovators in Mesa.

We don't travel in the snow or rain and try to avoid LA but in the summer we would go this way. It has been 4 years since we made the last trip so I would refer to RV Park Reviews for current RV park ratings: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Approx: 1250 miles according to Microsoft Streets and Trips

Yuma, AZ

Needles, CA

Beatty, NV

Hawthorne, NV

Susanville, CA

Canyonville, OR

Eugene, OR

vs: approx 1150 miles thru Central California according to Google Maps

I would a least go up to Q, then take I-10 across and pick up I-210 and go north around LA until hitting I-5 just south of the Grapevine. Or even better, stay on Highway 95 until you hit I-40, then go west to Barstow, then Highway 58 up over Tehachapi pass and into Bakersfield, then north to Eugene.

Barb

JMHO, but although I agree that taking 5 is the "best" route, if your object is getting from one place to the other as quickly as you can, I suggest that doing 250 miles per day is not going to accomplish that. I suppose "fast" depends on one's definition, but even if the weather and traffic conditions cooperate, the trip will still take you about 5 days, possibly more, to cover the roughly 1150 road miles at that rate of mileage per day. That's not "fast" to me, but it may be to others. :unsure:

Or even better, stay on Highway 95 until you hit I-40, then go west to Barstow, then Highway 58 up over Tehachapi pass and into Bakersfield, then north to Eugene.

Barb

This is without question the best option in my opinion. It avoids the entire Southern California area and involves much less mountain climbing. It avoids the mountains by San Diego as well as the Grapevine north of LA.

JMHO, but although I agree that taking 5 is the "best" route, if your object is getting from one place to the other as quickly as you can, I suggest that doing 250 miles per day is not going to accomplish that. I suppose "fast" depends on one's definition, but even if the weather and traffic conditions cooperate, the trip will still take you about 5 days, possibly more, to cover the roughly 1150 road miles at that rate of mileage per day. That's not "fast" to me, but it may be to others. :unsure:

Since it normally takes us 2-3 months to do that route, that is fast. It isn't like someone died and they have to be there for a funeral, they are just getting a refrigerator replaced (though why Eugene and not Mesa escapes me) and thus a relatively fast trip. A lot of us practice the 2-2-2 plan, 200 miles a day, stop by 2:00 pm, stay for 2 days.

Barb

Hi All

I forgot to mention that Marie (DW) wants to stop in San Clemente on the way, if we go north.

This to visit a dearly loved family member that is on Hospice and we had planned to visit in Mid Jan.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Dave O

Hi All

I forgot to mention that Marie (DW) wants to stop in San Clemente on the way, if we go north.

This to visit a dearly loved family member that is on Hospice and we had planned to visit in Mid Jan.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Dave O

Well, that changes everything. That change gives you the opportunity to enjoy all the traffic of both the San Diego and Los Angeles areas. Now your only option is I-8 to I-805 to I-5. (There are some alternatives to I-805 in the El Cajon/San Diego area but none are all that great.) Depending on what time you leave San Clemente I would take I-5 all the way, or I-5 to the 57 to the 210 and back to I-5.

If you are still in Yuma, check out the RV remodeling (can't think of the correct name) on 32nd (north side) going east toward the Foothills Wal-Mart. Also CJ's at 2606W. 32nd St does renovations also. But they will be busy this time of the season. There should be other several other repair places in the Yuma area that can handle this.

While I tend to agree with the comments about getting the refrigerator replaced, if that is the only reason for the trip to OR, it also changes the suggestions on where to stop as you won't be anywhere close to the suggestions that I made.

Well, that changes everything. That change gives you the opportunity to enjoy all the traffic of both the San Diego and Los Angeles areas. Now your only option is I-8 to I-805 to I-5. (There are some alternatives to I-805 in the El Cajon/San Diego area but none are all that great.) Depending on what time you leave San Clemente I would take I-5 all the way, or I-5 to the 57 to the 210 and back to I-5.

Hi Rif

I was thinking about the 405 around south of LA. I5 straight thru is called "blood alley" and I don't plan on that way. Comments on the 405?

Dave O

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We leave tomorrow (Sat) for OR to go to Elite RV for the refrigerator replacement and other work on our coach.

I looked at all the local options and none of them have the reputation for the quality level of work that we really want for this much $$. We have personal experience with Erik, before Elite and have read nothing but positive reviews about them on multiple chat boards over the last 5-6 years.

Thank You again.

Dave O

Hi Rif

I was thinking about the 405 around south of LA. I5 straight thru is called "blood alley" and I don't plan on that way. Comments on the 405?

Dave O

No, no, a thousand times no! The 405 is no place to be with any kind of RV. It is one of the most heavily traveled freeways in Southern California and there is no reason to go over Sepulveda Pass if you don't have to. The Ventura Freeway interchange with the 405 at the bottom of the northbound pass is a mess most of the time. The best way is the I-5, 57, 210 route I mentioned. I've done the I-5 all the way many times as well. If you go through between 10 AM and noon is it really not bad. The biggest issue would be trucks in the Santa Fe Springs and City of Industry areas.

No, no, a thousand times no! The 405 is no place to be with any kind of RV. It is one of the most heavily traveled freeways in Southern California and there is no reason to go over Sepulveda Pass if you don't have to. The Ventura Freeway interchange with the 405 at the bottom of the northbound pass is a mess most of the time. The best way is the I-5, 57, 210 route I mentioned. I've done the I-5 all the way many times as well. If you go through between 10 AM and noon is it really not bad. The biggest issue would be trucks in the Santa Fe Springs and City of Industry areas.

Hi Rif

I GOT the message and am changing the routing. Guess things have changed in the ten years since we did LA.

Thanks

Dave O

Hi Rif

I GOT the message and am changing the routing. Guess things have changed in the ten years since we did LA.

Thanks

Dave O

Hi Rif

We did not take the 405, but did go straight thru LA on the 05.

Got on the road from San Clemente at first light about 0630 and had very few problems.

Only two times of stop and go and that for only a couple miles each.

Having the new reefer and Advantium MW installed by Elite R&R in Harrisburg OR on Monday the 12th.

Dave O

Be thankful you weren't in Eugene the week of 2 January 2015. We were stuck in the area for a leaking fuel fitting and it was very cold!!! We are at SKP Park Sierra east of Fresno and headed back north on the 15th. Long range weather predictions say we can go via Bend to central WA but we'll make that decision at Redding. Otherwise it's I5 to I205 to I84 and then 395.

WDR

Hi Rif

We did not take the 405, but did go straight thru LA on the 05.

Got on the road from San Clemente at first light about 0630 and had very few problems.

Only two times of stop and go and that for only a couple miles each.

Having the new reefer and Advantium MW installed by Elite R&R in Harrisburg OR on Monday the 12th.

Dave O

Glad that worked out for you. As I said above, depending on the time of day that is not a bad way to go.

Archived