Winter Time Heat Sources

As we're sitting here in cold, wet, East Texas, hoping all the frozen stuff stays away, several locals have asked if were warm enough. Which brings a chuckle from me.

The heat pump- 15k- is our above freezing heat source, supplemented by the fireplace. If we're busy working the gate (gate guarding) we'll turn on a Broan heater and aim it across the door just help heat loss to a minimum.

Today though the TV has been on most of the day with ball games, we needed ice, so the Icemaker has been running, Alie did a great meal this afternoon, which all seems to contribute to warming this place up..... to about 80* before I realized it!

So the Broan heater was turned off so it wouldn't cycle, the fireplace thermostat dropped another 1/4 turn, and the fantastic fan turned on (vent was open already), and the combination of the TV and ice maker is keeping us at a comfy 71*.

Good thing we don't have a bunch of extra lights on, Might have to turn on the AC!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We are also doing the same as Alie & Jim but in South (Cotulla) Texas. Our temps has stayed in the low 40's with mist. When the wind comes up it feels really cold. We have run the propane heater once this last week.

Right now mud is our biggest enemy. 4 different type outside mats for mud and 2 towels inside. Still it's tracked inside. Now we know what a pig feels like wallering in a mud hole.

Mac

We are also in what passes for nasty winter weather here in east TX and are happy that it has not frozen here, at least not yet! We don't have the all season RV any longer and so are very happy to be snug in our barndominium! With shore-power and a 200 gallon propane tank we should be in good shape!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sorry to hear that guys.....

We are in Mayo, FL (up north) and at 0945 it is 60*. Cold for here,but tolerable. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If it doesn't soon warm up here in AZ, I'm going to look for my spanish book. It was 26 this morning "BURR"
BobQ

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

You don't sound very sorry.................. :(

Oh, I TRUELY AM, Kirk....I've been in the cold weather and am lucky not to be in it at the moment.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are stuck in Fort Stockton, Tx for the last few days. Freezing rain and ice everywhere. Hiways are solid ice and yet there is still traffic. Staying put here in an RV park with electric heaters going. We are trying to get to AZ but the weather forecast changes daily and so far the window for leaving here looks like tomorrow.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

If it doesn't soon warm up here in AZ, I'm going to look for my spanish book. It was 26 this morning "BURR"

BobQ

But it will be in the 70s in just a few days. This blasts of invigorating weather help to keep us on our toes during the winter - too much sun/warmth isn't good for the body. :lol:

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

But it will be in the 70s in just a few days. This blasts of invigorating weather help to keep us on our toes during the winter - too much sun/warmth isn't good for the body. :lol:

Barb

I totally disagree with this theory! :ph34r:

Too much of this rat-nasty cold wet misty rainy frozen mess makes one feel every bit as old as they can be, and I'm not anywhere near as old as some on here! :P

But hopefully the sun will return is a day or so and chase away the cold-induced arthritis.

Until then, it's better living thru chemistry! :D:D

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Until then, it's better living thru chemistry! :D :D

I prefer to think of it as my daily fruit allowance - after all, grapes are a fruit! For others, it would be part of their daily grain intake! :lol:;)

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We are stuck in Fort Stockton, Tx for the last few days. Freezing rain and ice everywhere.

A very wise decision! From time to time I see threads about tire-chains and RVs and it always leaves me wondering what is so important? I traveled enough bad roads for work in my 18 years of WY travels that I just don't see anything important enough to get me out there now that I'm retired and never did use the RV in that kind of weather. Just isn't worth the risk. :huh:

Thanks Kirk. Yes I am sitting here right by the entrance to the RV park and its surpising to see so many RVs coming and going. I guess some have to get back home for school and work but is it really worth the risk? Its 31 degrees and raining steady ....water and ice on everything.

Thankfully they have good cable tv here. The internet is very spotty which sucks. Plus we have lots of good books, cards, games, food. We can just wait it out. And we can work on our weight loss program..?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We had planned to leave the Dallas area today for Arizona, but found ourselves in the same situation. We're sitting tight until at least tomorrow. No reason to drive in rain and/or snow when you don't have to.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Guest ticat900

Sorry to hear that guys.....

We are in Mayo, FL (up north) and at 0945 it is 60*. Cold for here,but tolerable. :)

well your going to be 45 + 58 about one week away looking at the 10 day forcast with a low of 29 ug

All this talk about cold weather makes me feel bad that I had to turn the AC on today.

It really should! A real guilt trip is in order! :(

Actually, as I sit here in east TX I must say that I don't feel that badly about our weather. We have been getting some much needed rain and we have had no freezing weather here at all. Roads are a bit "rain slick" and so there are people having accidents but mostly from making foolish choices. Up to now our home-base has had only two nights that fell below freezing and most of our weather has been at or above the typical temperatures and the TV weather just stated that this area will see no snow for at least the next 7 days.

After spending winters in many different areas I have come to realize that cold weather is when temp gets lower than you are used to and hot is higher than you are used to. We think we will freeze here in TX if temperatures in winter get down to what we considered to be a balmy winter day in WY, MN, or CT. On the other hand, our kids in western WA consider it terribly hot at 85° while we consider that to be a pretty nice summer day. Of course, nothing makes the roads good when they are covered in ice, or visibility is gone from blowing snow. I really think that the southern states have some of the most treacherous of roads when icy as it usually is just around freezing and is ice with a layer of water on top. Not a smart time to be on the highways! :wacko:

Got up to 46 today, here in the central Willamette Valley, in Oregon. Been down in the high teen's lower 20's over night the last few days. It's supposed to warm up and rain this weekend.

People still come to the mill for a tour, even though it's colder inside, than out.

Don

We were happy to see the forecast for Bull Head City, AZ. Next week 3 or 4 days in the low 70's and nites in the mid 50's. After snowing this week here that will be a welcome change. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived