Any guesses what it's worth?

HD_RIDER

After much agonizing, I have reached the conclusion that I will likely never see the use of my rig as I had originally planned. Life has a way of changing such things, and now it seems that my RV project has become just an expensive driveway ornament. Finding the value of the 5'er isn't difficult, similar models seem to sell for "just under" what I continue to owe on it, so my goal will be to be able to just get out from under the debt. The HDT is a little different story, though. Prices dropped the year after my purchase, so I have no delusions about breaking even on it. I don't owe anything, though, so it will be a matter of finding a fair price to start with.

I installed an ET hitch, and have only moved it around locally since. I have the Jackalopee converter, and last year added an inverter. Basically, there's been no use of it other than testing things as I went. I know the tires are aging out, so at least the steers should be replaced even though they appear fine. It had 800k+ on it when I bought it, and only added a few thousand miles in the time that I've owned it. It will need serviced, just due to the time that has passed, but I hesitate pouring more money into it since I will be taking a loss anyway. I've considered just running it across the auction block, and may do so if the trailer sells first. At this point, I don't know whether the conversion to RV will be an advantage or disadvantage.

Any opinions or advice from the vast amount of knowlege available here would be appreciated!

Jess

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

I'm assuming your talking about 2001 Volvo 610 listed in your signature. I would scroll through the for sale section http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=25 . While I'm researching a Hdt for myself I scan through there regularly. From what I have seen you might start around 20 or maybe up to 25k. As I'm sure you have read here before post some pics on photo site like photo bucket so folks can see some more detail or general condition.

Try the sites like Escapees first that don't charge for the ad, even if it doesn't sell you'll probably get some questions that will let you do a better paid ad.

1. Lots of information, more is better than less.

2. Inside and outside photos, no such thing as too many, use Photobucket.com as it is the least hassle of the ones I've tried.

3. Good contact info, e-mail ( replace the "@" with " at " to deter spammers) and a phone number (use six zero two or the like for the area code) to keep down web scanners.

4. Follow the topic (up at the top right) so you get notified of any posts via e-mail.

As examples:

E-mail: snuffy at example.com

Phone: (six zero two) 555-1212

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stan, thank you for the tips. As a long time member of this forum, I've looked at many of the items for sale, but this is the first time I've really considered selling mine. This is the unit listed in my signature, and I've just recently made the decision that I should sell both units. I'll get some pictures together once again and get them listed soon in the "for sale" section, along with more details.

Jess

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

In case anyone is curious, I have uploaded several photos to photobucket. These are some that I had taken previously, but give a general idea of what it all looks like. When I get my numbers together and officially list it for sale, I'll add a few more. This should get you to them, I've not done this before , so we'll see how it works...: http://s665.photobucket.com/user/HD_RIDER92/library/RV%20photos

Jess

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

Jess,

I totally feel your pain, as I went thru the exact same thing a few years ago....tough decision indeed.

My 2001 Volvo 610 was spec'd very similar to yours, with the exception of being a factory single.

My 5th wheel was older so didn't expect too much for that. I also had very little in it. Fortunately both the Volvo and 5th wheel were paid for.

After a lot of lookers, most without any money....as well as several "deals" that fell thru, I finally sold the whole unit for just under $30K.

I was satisfied, and the new owners were thrilled...

Just my story Jess. Hope this gives you some starting point.

Cheers,

Bob

Here is a picture of one of the sadder days of my live....it leaving my home for good... :(

410633725.jpg

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Bob,

I've had a couple of offers to sell the Volvo, but they were looking to add to their small fleet of commercial trucks. It could easily be converted back, as the commercial 5'th wheel is still in place. I imagine it's in the neighborhood of 10K that way, perhaps a bit less. Since it's paid for it only costs me insurance & tags, so if the trailer sells seperatly I would have to really be in a pinch to sell it for that little, as I could still use it to move my cargo trailer around. Bottom line on the trailer would be the amount owed to the bank, which seems to run pretty close to appraised value. I've never viewed it as an "investment", but since I haven't used in 4 years, it doesn't make sense to keep it. It's all part of the "moving on" process, plans that made sense before I lost Lana. The future looks different now, and doesn't include many of the former plans. Such is life, Huh?

Jess

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

Archived