How Slow is Too Slow?

Kevin H

"How Slow is Too Slow?"

Depends on who you talk to. Me or my darling DW. She thinks that the speed limit is the speed you are supposed to drive. I, like many others tend to drive 60--65. Normally around 62. I am VERY aware of what is going on in front and especially behind me.

I can't conceive how horrible it would be to have a high speed accident. I started to say a serious high speed accident, but ANY would be serious. I don't know about YOU, but it would totally change my life and lifestyle if I had a serious accident, even IF no one was injured.

There used to be a mantra for RVers. It was, "222--- Drive Two hours at a time, stop by two, and stay for two days."

This is as much about safety and awareness as it is about taking it easy.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife & I try and drive our motorhome between 55 & 60 mph most of the time. We also try and avoid freeways as much as possible. In Utah some of the freeways have recently raised the speed limits to 80 mph.

When we are on the freeways marked 80 mph we are very uncomfortable with traffic coming upon us when we are doing 55 mph. The closing rate is very fast if the approaching driver fails to notice our slower speed. In addition tractor trailers would be forced to slow and would have to drop gears if they could not pass at their traveling speed. Most of the people on the higher speed freeways are involved in driving for some type of employment and most often have to get somewhere at a certain time.

Therefore, my wife and I have elected to place on the rear of our motorhome a noticeable and bright separate emergency flashing system that alerts drivers that they are approaching a slower moving vehicle.

We understand that in most jurisdictions the driver that runs into an other vehicle from the rear is most often responsible. However, this fact does not make up for a shorter motorhome or our pain and suffering. In addition, we feel like we are helping out a fellow driver that we are sharing the road with.

We also use this separate flashing system going up or down steep grades or anywhere else we feel we can help another driver enjoy their travels more.

As always travel safe.

Ma and Pa Bear.

Layton, Utah

62 to a max of 65 mpg while towing. On the interstate with multiple lanes, they can easily pass...just remember...speed on brother, Hell ain't half full.

I do not like to move to the shoulder to let people pass as there is usually a lot of trash on the shoulder. I have in the past picked up a nail and ruined a tire due to debris on the shoulder.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

That toll road is 183. While expensive to build, it does cut off having to go thru Austin and comes into I-10 just east of San Antonio. It saves a bunch of time and frustration.

Just to help folks keep things straight:

The toll road that parallels IH-35 to the east and bypasses Austin is SH-130. The southern end is a bit east of Seguin, TX at IH-10, and the northern end terminates at IH-35 north of Georgetown, TX.

There is a totally different toll road that parallels US-183 northwest of Austin, and bypasses Leander and Cedar Park. That one is US-183-A.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Just to help folks keep things straight:

The toll road that parallels IH-35 to the east and bypasses Austin is SH-130. The southern end is a bit east of Seguin, TX at IH-10, and the northern end terminates at IH-35 north of Georgetown, TX.

There is a totally different toll road that parallels US-183 northwest of Austin, and bypasses Leander and Cedar Park. That one is US-183-A.

Thanks, wrong numbers in my head this morning :wacko:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Sweet spot on the Volvo is 62-63 and that is where we run 90% of the time. I may push the cruise up to 65 occasionally, but not often. 62-63 puts us at a speed where we do not often have to pass trucks and only some of them come around us.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Sweet spot on the Volvo is 62-63 and that is where we run 90% of the time. I may push the cruise up to 65 occasionally, but not often. 62-63 puts us at a speed where we do not often have to pass trucks and only some of them come around us.

I dont know where you drive Dennis but I was travelling all day today at 65. (Verified by GPS) and was passed all day long by Semis and a few motorhomes as well.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

For me the sweet spot on the interstates was 63 and had several attributes, it was a speed I could run in 5th or 6th gear without the transmission hunting between gears, it was near the bottom of 6th gear so the engine was turning about 1500 RPM so it was quiet and fuel efficient and it was slow enough the passenger didn't keep bugging me about my speed. :-)

Off the interstate 55 was just fine, near the bottom of 5th but I could drop to 4th if I needed a bit more power for a hill.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Texas law does allow you to move out onto a paved shoulder in order to let others pass when one is provided but it does not require that you do so. I can't recall if there is a law about pulling over when some number of vehicles is stacked up behind you, as some states have but it is the courteous thing to do and we do so whenever possible. I don't make a habit of driving on the shoulders but have learned to move there when traveling well under the speed limit if the shoulder is paved and amply wide with good viability. Since that is where stopped vehicles would be found, I don't do that as I crest a hill or on a blind curve unless I also stop.

I do not like to move to the shoulder to let people pass as there is usually a lot of trash on the shoulder. I have in the past picked up a nail and ruined a tire due to debris on the shoulder.

I agree with TXiceman. Driving on the shoulder to let people pass is a bad idea. I have come up behind slower traffic on two lane roads in TX and had them pull over to the shoulder to let me pass. I refuse to pass under these conditions, and actually back off unless I can pull completely into the left lane. The big problem is the junk, trash, sand and small rocks that accumulate on the shoulder. The driver thinks he is doing a good thing but in fact he is throwing missiles at my windshield. I've had my windshield rock chipped in these exact situations. Either speed up, slow down, or pull over and stop. Otherwise, just let me worry about how and when to get by.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

I have yet to see a minimum speed greater than 45 mph.

FYI Texas Toll 49 around Tyler TX has a posted minimum speed of 65. We drove ~63 and no one bothered us.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We both drive and for us it is 56 mph. It allows us to relax as we are driving and still see what beautiful country we are passing thru. We pass some RV'ers and others pass us. 99% of the time we are in no hurry at all. It's what works for us and the improvement in fuel mileage doesn't hurt either. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I usually do 60 on multi-lane roads which is 1500 RPM best fuel economy and easier on my toy hauler tires. 55 on 2 lane roads if the speed limit is that high. I do recall a time in Nebraska being pressed from behind buy a trucker who made a comment on the CB if I new there was a speed limit. I never bothered respond as did not want to argue but I did feel bad for the man making a living. I did boost up the speed from 55 to 60 though for awhile and he still was not happy he did later pass and I was back at 55. I also don't like running on what I call the break down lane as has been said about trash and the associated problems that can cause.

I have heard(lawyer speak) that if you pull over in a 2 lane road but those behind you still have to go into on coming traffic. An accident happens you share responsibility because you invited then to pass unsafely same asd if you stuck your arm out the window and motioned them around!!!! <_<

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Driving towards Livingston from the Austin area I encountered 75 mph 2 lane roads with no shoulders. Not fun.

Nothing says you have to drive 75 on such a road. In fact in Texas you have to keep alert as the smaller the town, the lower the speed limit is going through the town and the shorter the notice - towns need income. :P

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

An interesting observation was made some time ago in a publication that, based on surveys, the maximum average distance to their destination that a vehicle traveling on a two lane U.S. or State highway was less than 50 miles. A bit of calculation finds that if a person is going to that maximum distance of 50 miles and they can average exactly 65 miles per hour, they will reach that destination an astonishing 6.4 minutes quicker than the motorist who averages only 60 mph for the same distance...... 6.4 minutes! Must be a very important destination if 6 minutes is going to make that much difference.

That may be true if you are only traveling 50 miles/day, but if you are traveling 750-1,000 miles/day (as I sometimes do) a 60 mph average (you must do over 65 to average 60) adds 1.5-2 hrs. to an already long day. Now if you are driving straight through from Louisiana to California, as I have been known to do on occasion, then we're talking about adding another 4 hours on a 30+ hour "day" which just might put me over the edge (and in a ditch.) Now once I'm retired and don't have to live my life in one week intervals, it will be an entirely different story - whatever speed over 50 that I get the best MPG will be my speed of choice. If it takes me a week to get to California, I won't have to go to work the next day in Louisiana so who cares? :)

Chip

If your trailer tires are rated for a maximum of 65 MPH does Texas not allow them on the roads that have a minimum speed limit of 65?

If I was near Paris, Texas and an LEO pulled us over for having more than 3 cars behind us and not going the speed limit over 65, I would point out the maximum speed limit indicated on the tires and the space required to allow our rig to move over and take pictures of any trash that was on the shoulder and be prepared to fight the ticket if we got one.

We do move over put only when it is safe and will allow our set up to be able to merge safely back into traffic.

In MN in many areas it is against the law to drive on the shoulder and you will see signs to that affect especially where you might pass someone on the right that is making a left hand turn.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

As of Nov 2014 west of Paris Tx, it is against the law in Texas to have more than 3 vehicles behind you if your are not going the speed limit.

I have been researching this and thus far can find nothing in the state highway regulations about it. Still looking so if anyone knows where it may be, please share the information. I'm no legal eagle so it may well be there but eluding me.........

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As of Nov 2014 west of Paris Tx, it is against the law in Texas to have more than 3 vehicles behind you if your are not going the speed limit. You are a traffic hazard. I use that date as that is when I got a warning about pulling over. The county sheriff said that while not all counties will ticket, it is the law. I asked him about not being insured if you drive on the shoulder and have an accident, and his reply was, If you are insured and in Texas you are covered. So now when I am in Texas I pull over when possible. That is the only state I have heard of this being the law. Of course with 75 mph speed limit even on 2 lanes road, I guess it makes sense at least Texas sense.

I would like to hear the conversation between the sheriff and the farmer pulling a 40ft plow ( these plow only fold to around 15' wide) and driving an 8 wheel drive tractor concerning pulling over when 3 cars are behind him. :P

I think that the deputy was misinformed or maybe a little over zealous. I also have not been able to find this in writing .

Too bad that today most people don't know what "Limit" means. They drive as if it is a "suggestion". Especially on the interstate where they just keep bumping up the Limit, yet doing very little to "enforce" it. That is why I have found the slower pace of life, usually all secondary roads and never in a hurry to get to any particular destination. But that's me.

I always like to say that a lot of people have two driving speeds, 0 & 65. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Here is a link to the Texas Transportation Code pertaining to Vehicles and Traffic, Rules of the Road and the Operations and Movement of Vehicles.

Here is the section on driving on the shoulder. Notice it says An operator may drive".

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:

(1)...

(2)...

(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;

After reading a while my eyes started to glaze over :wacko: but I did not see anything requiring drivers to drive on the shoulder. I also did not see where not pulling over is a citable offense. If anyone does see a section that does require pulling over, please point it out.

Me? I will not drive on the shoulder but if traffic builds up behind me and space allows it I will pull completely off the road and stop to allow traffic by. If someone in front of me pulls onto the shoulder I treat them as if they were still in the lane. I do not pass them until safe and I pull completely into the opposite lane to do so.

If traffic is behind me and we come to a passing zone, I may slow down appreciably so everyone can pass while in the zone, but I stay in my lane. That's just my way.

BTW - years ago I drove for Greyhound in Texas. We were trained to handle the situation then just as I do today. smileys-car-driving-496025.gif

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Guest ticat900

I would like to hear the conversation between the sheriff and the farmer pulling a 40ft plow ( these plow only fold to around 15' wide) and driving an 8 wheel drive tractor concerning pulling over when 3 cars are behind him. :P

I think that the deputy was misinformed or maybe a little over zealous. I also have not been able to find this in writing .

don't know about this small obscure county in texas that would allow such a dangerous situation to happen but IN BC Canada had a Farmer tryed that stupid manuver would see him handed a heavy fine and cease and desiste order.He would half to have a wide load permit, remove the 15 blade and have pilot sevice

Guest ticat900

If traffic is behind me and we come to a passing zone, I may slow down appreciably so everyone can pass while in the zone, but I stay in my lane. That's just my way.

your being ridiculous if that what you do and its against the law.why would you do something that blatantly wrong ? for what reason?

FYI Texas Toll 49 around Tyler TX has a posted minimum speed of 65. We drove ~63 and no one bothered us.

We haven't been in the area in a while. Just goggled and found out that the school buses can't use that road because by law in Texas school buses can't go over 55.

"NetRMA, which is the North East Texas Regional Mobile Association, is in charge of Toll Road 49 and said they had no idea about the bus speed limit law. A professional study took place to determine the speed limit requirements for the east and west side of the toll road. The result was to keep the speed limit between 60 and 75 because the majority of drivers were comfortable at that speed on that road.They told KETK they will be speaking to their attorneys to see if they need to make the appropriate accommodations."

Example of really good planning - NOT! And yet, it doesn't surprise me.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived