Power Steering Hose Goes BOOM!

RandyA

Sometimes you can be unlucky lucky.

We had driven a thousand miles thru horrible stop and go traffic down I-95 to Ft. Myers, FL without any incidents with the Volvo.

Then, as I was backing the fiver onto the RV pad and cut the wheels hard to the right the power steering hose blew with a loud explosion like boom. Red fluid flooded the roadway and I could not turn the steering wheel. My first thought was the trouble I would have been in if the hose had failed out on the Interstate. Of course, the hydraulic pressure climbed like a rocket when I turned the tires to full lock backing the fiver up but still it was scary thinking about the possible consequences on the road. With great effort I managed to get the Volvo off the road onto a vacant RV site. By great effort I mean it took all the strength I had to turn the wheel and I could only turn it a little by little while moving. Forget turning it sitting still.

The nearest Volvo parts dealership was back in Tampa a 120 miles north. The hose was $102 and would have to be shipped overnight via UPS, which would add another $48 to the cost.

On a fluke, I asked Siri on my iPhone if there were any places that made hydraulic hoses near me. To my surprise she gave me one only 4 miles away. The place is AAA Gear in Ft. Myers. I called and was told they could make any hose I wanted.

So, this morning I started to work on the Volvo. The alternator/AC belt had to come off. Then the two bolts on the idler. Once the battery was disconnected the wires came off the alternator, the mounting bolts out and I was able to snake the alternator out around the steel air brake line and the cooling fan. This was necessary to get to the hose fitting on the power steering pump, which is snuggled above the fuel pump behind the alternator on my D12D. My hose did not have the quick connect fittings some later engines have (according to the manual). Fortunately all the fittings and bolts came loose without breaking.

I got a ride to AAA gear where they made a new 4800 psi line with new fittings for $65. I picked up a gallon of Dextron at an auto parts store next door and started reassembly as soon as I got back to the RV park. I had a nice group of geriatric advisors standing around as I got down and greasy with coal black grime up to my elbows.

All is back together and steering is easy once again. I am anal about PM on the Volvo and routinely replace anything that is suspect. I had considered the PS high-pressure hose but did not replace earlier. My old hose was dated 2007, which indicates it was replaced before - probably 7 years ago?

Anyway, after this experience I encourage any HDT'er to consider this hose as a routine replacement item. Loosing PS on a HDT is very, very scary!

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Mine were weaping so I changed them before I headed south.

On another related note a very strong friend lot his power steering in New York and drove back to Albert before changing the pump.

Yes he has the arms of a gorilla.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

To add to what Bill said.....I would flush that system. I forget the service interval on it, but it is something that should be done.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If u do blow a power steering line at high speed they are still quite steerable just heavy, there will be no loss of control just two hands required to pull over, ther is a direct mechanical connection between steering shaft and gearbox

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

After you get some time on it, probably should change the PS filter / strainer also. Give it a bit for any particles from the new hose to work through and be caught.

Thanks Bill - But I do not believe my Volvo has a power steering filter - not sure about a strainer. If it does it is not visible nor where the manual indicates it might be. I assume flushing would entail disconnecting the return line, putting it into a bucket and running the pump while adding clean fluid at the same time?? Yes, I am sure it would be much more steerable at speed with PS failure than sitting still or at slow speed, but I don't want to test the physics of motion and steerability. In my situation not having a ready replacement hose in hand I would have most likely been calling Coach Net for a tow to a garage that could take a significant amount of time to either get a new hose or have one made. I have one bum shoulder and rotator cuff repair on the other. It would be difficult for this old man to handle with any degree of emotional safety. "If" I had a spare gallon of Dextron I "think" it may have been possible to put a patch and gear hose clamp over the hole and leaked my way to safety. I now do have that spare gallon on board.

Any additional info on PS filters, strainers or flushing on the Volvo would be welcomed.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Guest Lostinaz

Blowing a power steering hose?

Not a common problem if you keep an eye on things.

Don't know about Volvo but KWs have a BIG paper filter in the STEEL reservoir. Change that and the fluid (ATF) when you are supposed to and there is no "flushing" required.

I have seen some cheaper trucks like Freightliner with a plastic reservoir that actually broke.

I guess a lot of newer trucks have plastic reservoirs with no real filter now to save money.

As for hoses, you can always make them yourself with Aeroquip hose and fittings.

Air lines, hydraulic lines, fuel lines; I have even made an A/C line with Aeroquip.

They work well and you can make them yourself-check it out on the internet.

No need to go and have a hose made if you can find the hose and fittings you need.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Hydraulics/HowtoBuy/AeroquipExpress/Products/index.htm

http://www.hosewarehouse.com/aeroquip

http://aeroquipperformance.com/files/2013-catalog.pdf

Your tired old hose probably gave up the ghost when you in advertantly cramped the wheel over against the turn limit stop or a curb and the hydraulic system pressure went to max or pressure relief and the hose couldn't handle the pressure, usually a low speed parking lot type of failure and even then not that common of an incident, Running down the road thr power assist should never need to go into full pressure mode and cause the relief valve to actuate. Lost is correct aeroquip makes screw together hydraulic fittings that don't need a special tool to crimp them,sometimes they can be to bulky and or the correct end fitting is not available but they do make a splice that can be used to put a hose back together as a patch to get you to the parts to make a permanent repair

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out. I was looking for an external filter.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Well, I finally found it! Exactly where Bill (and not the manual) said it would be - the PS filter. Thanks.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

LOL - It was Bob, not me. Sorry, I assumed (sigh - that word again) that everyone knew it was there. I'll have to look at the manual to find it (or where it says it is).

You also know about the coolant filter, differential filters, trans filters etc locations?

Sorry - it is easy to get confused when you get old - now that it is 2015 I guess I am even older. Coolant, oil, fuel filters, air line dryer all OK. Change those as required. I do not believe my truck has a trans filter (Meritor 10 speed) or a diff filter. If it does, they are as well hidden as the PS filter was. I ordered a new PS filter last night.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Ya power steering is an every day pre-trip check. Those plastic reservoirs like to suck in water when they cool on humid days either between the reservoir/base o-ring or the dipstick threads - I've never quite figured it out. Regardless, an every day check keeps the pink milkshake away....

Ya power steering is an every day pre-trip check. Those plastic reservoirs like to suck in water when they cool on humid days either between the reservoir/base o-ring or the dipstick threads - I've never quite figured it out. Regardless, an every day check keeps the pink milkshake away....

I'm not sure how the water gets in either. I know on my 610 once I started to get a squeal in the steering that a flush totally resolved it. Even though a certain Volvo mechanic at a certain dealer said I needed a new pump. :( Which I may have. But 5 years later it was still working fine.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived