TrailSaver Hitch Head Side to Side Pivot

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Thank you!

The way the current deck is designed is a step configuration. I just want to make sure that I can move my pin up 2 inches and still have enough clearance from the bottom of the overhang to the top of the step if going thru a sloping driveway entrance.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If it looks like space is going to be tight you can always add air to the hitch and get a bit more clearance that way.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The amount of side to side articulation that you actually need in normal pulling and maneuvering is minuscule compared to the max head movements. If you were ever at the max you would be in the ditch and the fifth still on the road.

I kept 7" of clearance on the old Dodge and still kissed a bed rail getting backed onto one of these oil rig sites. No damage but a little paint transfer that got my attention. I think I can move the pin up 2 inches and still have 4 1/2-5" of clearance over the step up portion.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

A few of the sites we have been on. Notice the drop-offs on some..... makes parallel parking fun!

We were on one site, where we were on dirt. The road bed was 18-20" high so I did a long slow angle off the road down onto the dirt, the truck would start to level out first creating some tight clearances on the bed rails before the trailer would level out.

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/James111/slideshow/Rig%20Sites

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You need at least 6" clearance at the bed edges. And that is the bare minimum....and is debatable if it is enough. You "can" touch in normal use with 6", although generally you would not. I would want to design for 8" on a heavy hauler. That is my opinion, based on experience, but it is debateable.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If I remove a recently installed tie down point, I could gain another 2.25 inches in clearance bringing the total up to 6.75 to 7 inches, and then do what Stan suggested if I know its going to be tight.

This also lets me level the trailer to within an inch while towing but will still give some clearance.

All of this is just until we can get the bed modified or a new one built.

Speaking of which, I sent Herrin an e-mail before Christmas explaining what I had hoped to do. Never got any reply back. Is it better to call or ?? before we make a trip to the facility. We do understand the holiday issue and that many business shut down for the duration. Just wanting to get a feel for the type of company they are.

Thanks Gentlemen..

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It is best to call Herrin.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived