When you get frustrated with RV forums take a look at the alternatives...

docj

Because I understand the science behind the average "technology" questions that arise in the RV groups and I know that many people don't, I try to provide easily understandable explanations especially when I see threads meandering down paths that are "out of touch" with the facts. However, if the dominant individuals in a thread refuse to listen I sometimes will simply note that "this thread contains a lot of misinformation and I urge no one to take advice from it without verifying the information" and then I will remove myself from the discussion. Even though I doubt that anyone will take my advice, I feel better at least warning people that they may get into trouble if they follow the advice being given.

However, advice given without understanding the technology underlying the issue isn't limited to just RV forums. I've heard so-called RV "technicians" tell people things about electricity that make me just cringe. But as long as what's being said doesn't risk anyone's safety, I've learned just to disengage and walk away.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can a sticky be put at the top of each forum that has a few hints and tricks for navigating and searching? There are the "Important Reminder!", "Contacting the Admins" and Angie's "Welcome". How about a "Using and Searching the Forum" section?

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Guest ticat900

• actually I don't mind when people ask a question here instead of looking it up them selves or asking a dumb question etc or even arguing a bit

with you even after you have gave them a reasonable answer

the people on forums that bug me are posters whom post a answer after about 3 others have already posted the correct answer

people whom don't even read OP post and then offer opinion

people that give a opinion or suggestion when in fact they have no idea what there even talking about

if you don't know the correct answer don't reply with some dumb ass suggestion

• actually I don't mind when people ask a question here instead of looking it up them selves or asking a dumb question etc or even arguing a bit
  • with you even after you have gave them a reasonable answer
  • the people on forums that bug me are posters whom post a answer after about 3 others have already posted the correct answer
  • people whom don't even read OP post and then offer opinion
  • people that give a opinion or suggestion when in fact they have no idea what there even talking about
  • if you don't know the correct answer don't reply with some dumb ass suggestion

Totally agree.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I find all RV forums to be a asset including the face book forums. There is always something to be learned. It is good that folks on the Escapees are near perfect. This thread should discourage any new member or new Rv'er from asking questions or trying to learn from others more experienced.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I own a few RV related Facebook groups and admin a couple of others and a page.

Except for the Escapees related group and page, I've found that I seldom comment on posts asking questions. It's amazing the variety of answers that pop up, most of them inaccurate.

I've ended up having to remove members who either got into a pissing contest or their language use was inappropriate.

rvnetwork.com is a nice, generally calm forum to visit.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

One thing about this forum that is kind of funny to me is how different people will line up to give the same answer without even acknowledging one another. For instance, someone might ask if there's an RV park in Smalltown, IA. Some helpful user will respond, "Sure is, it's Mom's RV Park - as you enter town from the east, at the first stop light turn left and it's on that road."

So - question asked and answered. But people will go on responding - ignoring the fact that the answer has been given. "Yeah, there's on on the east side of town." - "Yes, there's a nice little park, I think it's called Moms or something like that."

I generally don't do posts without at least scanning to see if anyone has already provided the answer. Then, depending on how the thread is going I either (1) don't post, (2) provide additional information, or (3) just support the correct post.

For instance I might say, "Joe is right about Mom's - you might want to know that they had 30 amp only when we were there."

Or, if someone has disputed the correct post I might say, "X2 on Joe's post on the location of Mom's - we drove by there last year."

As it is here, the threads are often filled with posts by individuals who are narrowly focused on only the OP, not acknowledging that the answer was already given.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I have pulled back from the FB sites sometime back. Reason being I corrected someone for giving bad information that could possible cause a fire. That person was an administrator of the page. I got over 100 messages that I was rude and a general bad person. I was more strait forward than rude but having someone say to put a dryer vent over a propane vent to keep out critters was a death trap didn't go over well. MY BAD!

Scott

There's a great thread going on right now in which one person is adamantly claiming that you can use an "adapter" to go from a 3-wire 240V dryer outlet to a 30A RV outlet. I wish him well.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Joel, I saw the furnace post and just moved on.....as I typically do in those instances. So I'm very happy you have the patience to help people as you do. I'll help people, but I do want them to at least understand what an RV is, before getting involved. The Facebook discussions are downright scary. iRV2 is not a whole lot better, IMO. But it has improved some.

I realize people have to learn someplace. But a LITTLE effort on their part would go a long way. There are plenty of basic RVing books out there.

This could be a reflection of the Google it society. The upside is that YouTube, Facebook, forums, etc. provide a seemingly endless supply of information on just about any subject matter. The downside is that YouTube, Facebook, forums, etc. provide a seemingly endless supply of information on just about any subject matter.... much of which is worthless, and worse :D. I do agree with the OP that this is a really good forum and it's my opinion that the information shared is quite good.

There's a great thread going on right now in which one person is adamantly claiming that you can use an "adapter" to go from a 3-wire 240V dryer outlet to a 30A RV outlet. I wish him well.

See if you can find out where he is, I wanna see lightning arc across the campground!

We will have the defibrillator standing by of course...

Going on the post above,

Every Camping World has a reading section, RV.Net has stickies at the top of every forum telling and showing how to camp. Multiple lists, ideas, how to's, everything but what brand of TP to buy..... Wait the cover that too..

I realize I ask a bunch of questions, but most of my answers are not easily found unless directed by someone how has the same interest, in my case it would by the HDT conversion, and Smart Car Hauling.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Its got to be a little discouraging though for young people wanting to get into rving and going out and buying a TT for example and discovering that the trailer is as complicated as it is and they have no knowledge of how things work. He might work in a bank and she is a health care worker or whatever and now all of a sudden they are required to basically know how every component works and how to maintain it and up to this point have barely been able to mow a lawn. Then they go on to the internet which of course has the answer to everything and get bombarded with a multitude of opinions most of which are wrong. Its a wonder any newbies are sticking with the rv lifestyle.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I went and visited a couple of the suggested FB groups and did find some interesting reading. I have not yet added any to my friends list. I have had some of the unpleasant experiences mentioned in this thread just by visiting selected RV forums. From my superficial look at them I could easily see much of what others here have mentioned. I also found that series about the furnace in an RV. :rolleyes:

Joel, I'll have to look for that three pin 240V one just for entertainment value. As I am sure that you know, it is possible to do that but you had better know what you are doing and you will be taking significant added risk even then. Because of that, I'll not say anything about what method I refer to as those who know electricity well enough already know what I am thinking of and those who don't are probably better off not knowing. To me, doing that is rather like darting across a busy, multi-lane highway just to see if you can do it. You may get away with doing it several times, but it only takes one time when luck isn't with you to wake up dead.

It really doesn't bother me to see several people explain the same answer in most cases, particularly when it is a technical question as the same answer put several different ways can be helpful to one who is not technically well informed. We probably each answer the questions in a slightly different way. I usually read most of the answers because I believe that it often helps me to be more clear when I attempt to explain things and there are also times when I learn something new. There have been changes in some technical aspects of the RV which are not well known, at least when they first come to the market.

Like Joel, I do tend to be rather more aggressive on things that I consider to be safety issues. And there are a couple of forums that I no longer contribute to because there is too much incorrect or dangerous advice given and too much resentment if one corrects it. Over the years, I don't recall seeing much posted on these forums which was risky if used and most people here are also open to correction when documentation of the correction is given. We don't always agree, but I think that we do always have the best interests of those reading our post at heart. I am very proud to be a part of the group who hang out on these forums!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What I don't like about some of the FB fulltiming groups is that some of the admins are not even RVer's. I don't suppose that is a requirement, but I like it better when the admins and moderators are knowledgeable about the topics they are moderating.

Just my 2 cents.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Teacher's Pet
Mom to 1 Scottie, Brendon

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT

Travel summers and whenever else I can

http://skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

Kirk:

I've suggested that the easiest NEC-acceptable approach would be to take one of the "hots" in the 3-wire circuit and connect it in the breaker box to the ground bus. Then the remaining hot could be connected to a 30A 120V breaker. That would provide the proper 3 wires-hot, neutral and ground (the ground would be oversized but that's not an NEC issue). Then the outlet can be replaced with one of the proper configuration and the outlet would be safe and legal. I have a hunch that what you were hinting at would be to create a 2-wire circuit (hot and neutral without ground). Since this is being done in a garage it would be easy to put in an earth ground which would create a reasonably safe situation even though it violates the NEC. I didn't discuss that one in the thread because I was afraid someone would kill themselves doing it.

You can read the whole messy thing here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ftrving/976763255672033/?comment_id=976826982332327&notif_t=like

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Far better than any form of "cheater" or adapter. I doubt that rewiring is what the "adapter" advocates are thinking of. ^_^

I find all RV forums to be a asset including the face book forums. There is always something to be learned. It is good that folks on the Escapees are near perfect. This thread should discourage any new member or new Rv'er from asking questions or trying to learn from others more experienced.

x2 I guess there really isn't any question about rving that hasn't been asked and answered. So we have no need to ever ask anything again. Just do the research.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

If that's how you choose to interpret the OP then you missed my entire point which was to provide a comparison between this forum and the level of expertise (or lack thereof) found on the FB Groups. You may feel differently about the RV FB groups but IMHO they are largely frequented by people who barely understand the basics and who would rather post questions than read the simplest of introductory guides.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I think some are missing the point - or perhaps not.... :)

There is nothing wrong with asking questions and I encourage people to learn things and discover how things work. But there is at least a "minor" amount of responsibility on the part of the question asker to make a trivial effort to learn things. There are lots of GOOD resources available. As to the question of how do you distinguish good from bad if you don't know anything (yet). Well, you can start with a book or ebook. Generally anyone going to the amount of effort to produce such work will be somewhat of a subject matter expert, or research it enough to present good information.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

.... But there is at least a "minor" amount of responsibility on the part of the question asker to make a trivial effort to learn things.

It is a fine line, no doubt about it. Thats a call that each person must make and I try to err on the side of the uneducated, but I do often suggest some books for the least informed to read as a part of any answer I give. I do think that there is a danger for those of us with a lot of experience to forget just how lost and overwhelmed we probably were at some point. I think also that is is probably more of a challenge for those who jump in at midlife or later by getting one of the modern, fully equipped RVs than it was for people who enter the way that Pam & I did, moving from a tent to a popup, to a small travel trailer and so on over many years. Our first RV had no appliances, the second only a refrigerator, furnace and hand water pump. As a result we eased into things and learned what we know in smaller doses than the person who first explores RVing as they near retirement and want all of the amenities.

Fortunately, we seem to have a range of people responding who cover the gambit of answers and patience with new folks. I don't think that every contributor needs to respond to every question, especially if someone else has done so. I do try to watch for questions that didn't get much response and make more effort to help then.

I think some are missing the point - or perhaps not.... :)

There is nothing wrong with asking questions and I encourage people to learn things and discover how things work. But there is at least a "minor" amount of responsibility on the part of the question asker to make a trivial effort to learn things. There are lots of GOOD resources available. As to the question of how do you distinguish good from bad if you don't know anything (yet). Well, you can start with a book or ebook. Generally anyone going to the amount of effort to produce such work will be somewhat of a subject matter expert, or research it enough to present good information.

I think nowadays folks want an instant answer. They are used to everything being at their fingertips via the computer, Smartphone, etc. Even kids in school don't do research the way we had to do it years ago. It takes a lot longer to research a problem with a RV component on our own then just asking using a few words.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Personally, I like doing searches for any questions that I may have. Found this forum that way.

I do have a problem in getting sidetracked and learning new things. Drives my wife nuts. :)

If I cannot find an answer during a search, it's probably not out there.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

Should questions be prefaced with a listing of the search processes and filters used? If not, how would the search police know that the person asking did not look albeit unsuccessfully?

If you don't like a question that someone asks, don't respond. When I hear responders with their pompous "you should search because it has been discussed previously" I also look for that helpful person's link to the data mine. Funny how a link is most often not included.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

When wife and I working for dealers selling RV's at RV shows we were asked all kinds of stupid questions. The thing is some folks have no idea what kind of questions to ask. They know nothing about RV's so how can they ask a reasonable question. Now maybe each and every one of us were outstanding researchers and never had to ask a stupid question. Yes I see some really dumb questions asked on the Facebook forums but they are not really dumb these folks are just not as smart as everyone here. There are really no stupid or dumb questions these are folks trying to learn. They just sound dumb or stupid because we are so "censored " smart. If we do not want to be bothered ignore the posting. Or try to help.

Oh and there are people not as educated as people here are on the use of PC's particularly older folks.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Finding stuff with the search tool can be frustrating here, you can use Google instead and bypass the built-in search by starting your Google query with a site tag.

site:rvnetwork.com water pump

The link is a bit ugly and varies by browser:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=site%3Arvnetwork.com%20water%20pump

and the forum trims it down a bit

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=site%3Arvnetwork.com%20water%20pump

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived