Driving light ?

alan0043

What kind of connector do you have there now? Most of the terminals on these trucks are already Metri-Pack. For some reason I was thinking you were going to be running all-new wire. If you're able to send me a picture of what's already there on the gen-1s, I might be able to figure out what it is.

It would take 10 sets for me to be able to get (and pass on) a decent discount, but yes, a group buy is possible. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail at david@deepspacelighting.com and we'll go from there.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Hi David,

You got me thinking about the wiring. It probably would be best to run all new wire and a relay to a separate switch.

Thanks again David for your help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing yet. Even if there's no group interest, I can still get them for you--there's just a much bigger discount (that I can pass on) if we do 10 or more sets at once.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Nothing yet. Even if there's no group interest, I can still get them for you--there's just a much bigger discount (that I can pass on) if we do 10 or more sets at once.

Hi David,

Are you planning on going to the ECR this year ? If so, we should get together about the fog lights. I am still interested in doing this mod.

Thank you for your help,

Al

You want light - For $108.00 How about a 300 watt 50 inch wide light bar with 100 3 watt High Intensity LEDs. [Here]

Have you actually tried that particular light? My issue with these bars is some of the ones I've seen are really bad....they do not throw much light....kinda like the WalMart LEDs. I'd get one of these for a backup light source If I thought they were really bright and would actually light the entire area around the truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Have you actually tried that particular light? My issue with these bars is some of the ones I've seen are really bad....they do not throw much light....kinda like the WalMart LEDs. I'd get one of these for a backup light source If I thought they were really bright and would actually light the entire area around the truck.

I'll let you know - I just ordered one.

Hi David,

Are you planning on going to the ECR this year ? If so, we should get together about the fog lights. I am still interested in doing this mod.

Thank you for your help,

Al

Yes. I have a set now that I'll bring. We can power them up, and if anyone wants a set I can have them shipped there within a day or two.

You want light - For $108.00 How about a 300 watt 50 inch wide light bar with 100 3 watt High Intensity LEDs. [Here]

Mount that puppy on top of your bumper and it should nicely light your way. But at 25 amp draw, a relay certainly is in order.

I'll agree that there are a lot of light bars that can put out a lot of useful light (no idea on that particular one), but they shouldn't ever be used on the road. While the law varies from place to place on auxiliary lighting, they're not safe with traffic. Unlike your normal high beams or driving lights (which would also cause glare), a light bar tends to change the perception of how far away you are. If the optics are good, 300W of LED power is significant enough to cause serious vision problems for an oncoming driver in the time it takes you to notice and switch them off. But on a low-speed dirt road/trail, they can be fantastic, especially when placed high enough to light up overhanging branches/limbs.

The quality of light from a light bar is also all over the map. Some of them produce a lot of light, but can't throw it any distance. I'd be hesitant to buy long distance, without a chance to see the actual output firsthand. I've seen cheaper brands preform really well, with higher price units being only marginally better.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The quality of light from a light bar is also all over the map. Some of them produce a lot of light, but can't throw it any distance. I'd be hesitant to buy long distance, without a chance to see the actual output firsthand. I've seen cheaper brands preform really well, with higher price units being only marginally better.

This has been my observation as well, thus my comment. I have seen some pretty pricey stuff that was what I'd consider in the "junk" category. But I'll admit that was a couple of years ago and things have definitely improved in the LED world since then.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On that EBay ad it lists the uses as :

• Application:
  • camping
  • boating
  • Off Road vehicles, trucks, utes, engineering vehicles (excavator, tree dozer, road roller, bulldozer, crane and mining truck, etc.)
  • special vehicles (fire engine, police car, rescue vehicle, communication vehicle, military command vehicle) forklifts, trains, buses, tanks, and more…
  • public buildings, hotels, gardens, stages, garden lighting, outdoor billboards, outdoor landscape and more

Notice that nowhere in there is there any "on road" usage? That is because they are not DOT approved for street usage. I personally know half a dozen or so citations that have been issued for using them on the road. Just imagine how many I would know about if I worked night shift.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

alan0043, on 24 Jan 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hi David,

Thank you for your help,

Al

Yes. I have a set now that I'll bring. We can power them up, and if anyone wants a set I can have them shipped there within a day or two

David,

That sounds great. It sounds like we have a plan.

Thanks again David for your help,

Al

• 4 months later...

Driving lights probably make more truckers upset than anyting else. It may look "cool", but someone coming towards you wishes he could take a hammer to them. If you are on a 2 lane road in Kentucky at 3 in the morning with nobody on the road...... have at it. Don't you get upset with someone driving around town coming at you with them on? They shine right into your mirrors on a truck when you pass. We might like to bring this up at the rally. Call it "Semi truck proticol when using alternative lights on your truck".

Just my opinion after 35 years coast to coast.

Bigtrailer

Driving lights probably make more truckers upset than anyting else. It may look "cool", but someone coming towards you wishes he could take a hammer to them. If you are on a 2 lane road in Kentucky at 3 in the morning with nobody on the road...... have at it. Don't you get upset with someone driving around town coming at you with them on? They shine right into your mirrors on a truck when you pass. We might like to bring this up at the rally. Call it "Semi truck proticol when using alternative lights on your truck".

Just my opinion after 35 years coast to coast.

Bigtrailer

Hi Bigtrailer,

Welcome to the Dark Side and the forum. I can understand what you are talking about. There are some people on the road that think they are the only people driving. I think the big problem is that they are just inconsiderate.

Al

Hi Al,

How about RVing from a truckers viewpoint. Not being negative, just informative on real life scenarios that pop up on the road. I have just joined Excapee's, and see there are a lot of non truckers buying these semi's. I would think it would be fun to answer questions that people may have. By the way... can you explain the "dark side"? I was an owner operator my whole life and always felt something was wrong with me!

Bigtrailer

Well Big5er,

I should fit right in somewhere. Political correctness never has been one of my attributes, pushing the "envelope" in past years offered challenges, and having a couple prior spouses sharpened my ability to be close to a door during discussions.

As for trucks, you can never have enough........

Chrome

Big rubber

Bigger horsepower

Longer wheelase

Louder horns

Chicken lights

Fuel tanks

Parking space

Longer hood

I think I will quit while I am ahead. Thanks for the comeback!

Bigtrailer

Well Big5er,

<<snip>>

As for trucks, you can never have enough........

Chrome

Big rubber

Bigger horsepower

Longer wheelase

Louder horns

Chicken lights

Fuel tanks

Parking space

Longer hood

Bigtrailer

Guess that leaves me out. I've spent a lot of years maneuvering equipment, up to 80' long and 16' wide (three hinge points) through and around traffic. I like my relaxation unit to be as compact as practical.

Someone earlier remarked that a black truck is a part time job. So is chrome....... :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you have that experience, we have something in common. I ran heavy haul for years, some stuff 110 feet long, 65 tons in load weight, and like you 16-20 feet wide. My nerves are shot, I just quit bitting my nails, I kinda stopped swearing and now stop to eat 3 meals a day. Being normal isn't fun, I miss the challenge but I have fingernails.

Hey, what color is your rig? Look in the "Does color matter" site. I expressed my thoughts on paint, but not on chrome. Polished aluminum is the worst, and most costly thing to keep up. Look under a fellow RV'er and if his fingernails are black chances are he just polished his aluminum. It will start a conversaton at least.

Just what were you hauling, sure wasn't a boat!

Bigtrailer

Just what were you hauling, sure wasn't a boat!

Bigtrailer

I am a (Trying to get retired) farmer. I move large , unusual pieces from one farm to another, sometimes through small towns, on state and U,S, routes, just west of Cincinnati. The city folks don't have a clue what the traffic laws are concerning farm equipment, and just do stupid, and dangerous, stuff.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Check out this other thread for an explanation into "the dark side".

Thanks Phil for posting the explanation of the Dark Side. I didn't know how to answer the question with a good answer.

Al

Archived