Winching up smart car

jambro

Can anyone help me? I would like to see pictures of your smart car and what you have going through the tow hooks to winch it up onto the hauler bed. I was told you cannot hook the winch directly to one of the hooks and just pull up, seems like it would cause damage.. I will probably pick up the car when I get to Fla next week, I figure there will be more available there than here in NJ.

If you can't get the pics to post on this site you can send them to my email: Jambro@embarqmail.com

Thank you all, Have a merry Christmas.

John

John & Mariann

2014 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB3

2004 Volvo 630 W/ smart car hauler bed

2015 Smart passion

When I first loaded the smart I used a nylon strap between the tow hooks - not a good idea as the aluminum crash bar behind the bumper cover started to deform. Toterman made me a bar like the one he uses and it works great.

Don't have a pic, but it is a piece of hollow bar stock with slots on each end to slip over the tow hook eyes, holes for pins to retain them, and an eye bolted and welded to the center for the winch hook.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We aligned our winch with the right, front tow hook and elevated it so it was a fairly straight pull. We have always winched our Smart up onto the bed using only the one hook and have not had a problem in three years.

I unintentionally stress tested the tow hook one time while unloading the Smart. I backed the Smart onto the ramps and temporarily set the brake. I attached the wench line but forgot to tighten it before releasing the Smart brake. When the wench line snapped tight it broke a weld on the wench arm but didn't bother the tow hook at all.

Walkerl

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

Ok. To answer your question. Most of us have a bar that attaches to the rear tow hooks. Mine has clearance for the tow hook to pass through and then you attach the winch to the bar.

Some buy an after market hook that has threads you can bolt a bar to. And then tow from that.

No right or wrong answer. Just personal perferance. Mine tilts with the angle of the Ramps. Others wants a solid mount that cout put stress in angles not good during the loading process.

Loading my car tomorrow and will send a photo.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Photo album of my truck build HERE covers it. Look towards the end. Comments on the photos are best viewed on a computer - not phone.

Materials list is HERE.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like said previous can do this a few ways, see pics on what I did. Used a pipe, large washers and two large nuts and bolts. Welded washer and nut inside end of pipe. Easy to set up been using for 5yrs no issues. I have changed the winch pulley arm and other things though last year. See other albums.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112516511238375316586/albums/5362503574829080769?banner=pwa

Bill

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I use just the one front tow eye and connect the cable with a turning block and winch hook. The turning block is used to slow down the car as it is loading. I am more comfortable with half speed that the turning block gives me than I was with the faster speed without it. I can't seem to get pictures small enough to load on this forum. Merry CHRISTmas and a happy New Year to all. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I don't like the hitch setup - as Rocky knows. But it does work if you build it right....

Why don't I like it? 1) cost - you have to add the hitch 2) the riser has to be built pretty stout. The amount of flex in some I have seen is pretty scarey. 3) you cannot offset the pull point if you need to. 4) There is a lot of leverage (twist) exerted by the rise on the mount points on the car. Far more than a straight pull from a hitch would give you since the riser has to be pretty tall. I don't know if this is an issue with structure - over time - or not. Perhaps not, since people have been doing it for some time. But it does give me "pause".

The only advantage I can see to the hitch method is the fact you clear the bed edge with the cable. And that is not really an issue with the tow eye method....it is easily resolved.

Gregg's two piece pulley system is the best out there at the moment. I keep meaning to build one like that. It is easy to handle and works well.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't winch. I just drive it on.

Brad

Brad, that makes at least two of us that drive on. Do not know how many more, but I am still satisfied doing it that way. Been loading that way for three years.

Jim

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

We also just drive on and off, been doing it for about 18 months. If it looks scary, I just close my eyes :D

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Don't have a pic, but it is a piece of hollow bar stock with slots on each end to slip over the tow hook eyes, holes for pins to retain them, and an eye bolted and welded to the center for the winch hook.

So Dennis, where did you get the tow hook eye bolts?

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

We drive ours on & off but that's the way the previous owner had it set up for. Yes it was scary the first few times but I have got used to it, I might later go the winch route.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

"So Dennis, where did you get the tow hook eye bolts?"

One eye bolt under the passenger carpet. At the time I had a gray market smart, so I had one of my customers in Canada purchase another and send it to me. Now you can probably get one from a Mercedes dealer.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Yes you can get the bolts at a Mercedes dealer

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We aligned our winch with the right, front tow hook and elevated it so it was a fairly straight pull. We have always winched our Smart up onto the bed using only the one hook and have not had a problem in three years.

I unintentionally stress tested the tow hook one time while unloading the Smart. I backed the Smart onto the ramps and temporarily set the brake. I attached the wench line but forgot to tighten it before releasing the Smart brake. When the wench line snapped tight it broke a weld on the wench arm but didn't bother the tow hook at all.

Walkerl

Google the word wench, you have a winch.

Since he spelled it both ways in his post, maybe he has one of each?

Edited for spelling. Don't wanna teacher to tell me to use spell check or Google.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 5 months later...

I went on E Bay and bought the eye bolts for $19.00. They seem to work. I use a piece of round stock, have holes with "farm tractor" lynch pins inserted in the holes at each end of the round stock, (Tractor Supply, Bigger Ace Hardware stores, and every farm tractor place in the country).... and large fender washers at the ends, and welded an eye bolt in the middle for the cable hook. Works great, stores in my tool box with the winch.

Bigtrailer

Archived