Parking the RV

Reb14

Just purchased a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor from one owner with all the service records. Learned that is great to buy an RV with that in place from this forum and others, so thank you! Pretty much like brand new (even the inspectors said so). I am still in shock it is sitting in my driveway!

Anyway, I have a place in front of my house I would like to park it. It would be on rocks. Is this a problem? It is fairly level with a slight slant. Was thinking of putting boards under the levelers. Any thoughts on this? Suggestions or experience? Thanks in advance. BTW, joined Escapees a few months back. Just scratching the surface on all the great info.

Congratulations! As for parking, the first question is "Is it legal?" I can't answer that for you, but you probably ought to check your community's zoning laws and any neighborhood covenants. Assuming that your proposed spot is legal, the next question is physical. If you are talking about crushed rock or gravel, it is probably fine. Nice flat bedrock would be even better. I'd suggest that you get a sheet of 3/4" marine or exterior plywood and cut to size so that all tires are actually on the plywood. If your coach has leveling jacks some pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 to go under each jack would also be good. A mat to go by the door will cut down on the dirt you track in.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Congratulations! As for parking, the first question is "Is it legal?" I can't answer that for you, but you probably ought to check your community's zoning laws and any neighborhood covenants. Assuming that your proposed spot is legal, the next question is physical. If you are talking about crushed rock or gravel, it is probably fine. Nice flat bedrock would be even better. I'd suggest that you get a sheet of 3/4" marine or exterior plywood and cut to size so that all tires are actually on the plywood. If your coach has leveling jacks some pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 to go under each jack would also be good. A mat to go by the door will cut down on the dirt you track in.

X2

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

I would not put the jacks down for a long oeriod of time when not needed. If you do wipe them down with transmission fluit from time to time to keep from rusting. Have fun and check the air dryer(three years or maybe a bit more) air filter(3 years maybe a bit more if in dry climate) and trans(every 5 years) for service time. If it is aq four slide and the passerger side slide is cable run check the outside as the cable enters the choach for wear and alinement, pain if they break from wear.

LEN

Thanks for the replies so far. I am pretty certain it is ok to park the RV since there are at least 4 on my block and numerous throughout the neighborhood. Albuquerque in general seem pretty laid back as far as those a rules go.

I don't know what kind of rock it is but definitely not gravel. Decorative rock, mostly round. Guess I should find out! It is winterized and probably won't be plugging in although still on the fence about putting on trickler for chassis batteries. They are all new batteries.

So I may not need to level it? Easier for me that is for sure since this is all new for me. I do plan on taking it out so I can learn to drive it and get the dogs comfortable in it. Still trying to figure out if there is a reasonable priced driving class around here.

Keep the advise coming please!

Congratulations on the MH ! Sounds like a good choice. I agree with Barb, if you arent running the fridge when parked you dont need to be level.

Do you have solar panels on it?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Do you have battery disconnect switches for the house and chassis batteries. Throw them so the batteries are disconnected. Then since you should exercise the generator every few weeks so you can flip them on and recharge them. And also fire it up on a Sunday and go find an empty school or other large parking lot, take a lot of orange cones and put them out and practice, practice, practice backing up, doing figure eight turns, getting a feel for where the wheels are when you start a turn and complete it, etc. That's what we did the winter before we started fulltiming - - lots and lots of practice.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I would put the jacks down, just as we did with our motorhome for the 14 years that we owned it. The jacks are designed to be used and with proper maintenance it will not harm them at all and it does help to keep the tires in good condition by removing much of the weight and if a tire should lose significant air pressure, it prevents damaging it. I have always stored mine with jacks down.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We plan on going fulltime sometime next year. Depends on what we do with the house (sell or rent). No solar panels as of yet but definitely something we will be adding in the future. There are battery disconnects so I will use them. The previous owner showed me where they were. Should I be running the fridge? I know it is winterized and previous owner did not plug in and run it. Thanks for the driving school number. I want to make sure we both can drive this 40' rig even though I will be doing most of the driving. Will definitely be practicing in some lots too.

I have been doing a lot of research, but there is so much to learn! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Fridge is heat driven, not compressor drive like the house fridge. Heats the ammonia, which then absorbs heat, chilling the fridge. Running the fridge just burns up gas, etc. not necessary.

If running the fridge, be sure the unit is relatively level. Running a fridge in an unlevel unit can damage it. What we do is turn the fridge on the day before we leave to chill it down.

If you have plastic leveling blocks, you can use them as an alternative to wood blocks under the tires.

Should I be running the fridge? I know it is winterized and previous owner did not plug in and run it.

No reason to do so unless you want to keep something in it for some reason. Most of us just shut it down and prop to door open to allow it to air & dry out inside.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived