Does anybody here have Good Sam RV insurance?

Laara

We are getting our first RV and checked BlueSky, Good Sam and Geico insurances. All are pretty much within same range for coverage but Good Sam offers some money return if you are going to park your RV and do not drive it, say, for a month or two. They say it is $68 per month. That makes this insurance very appealing. I wonder if anybody used this option and how was your experience.

All of these insurances gave us quotes, not policies, so we cannot read "the fine print", is there anything we have to worry about?

2009 Dynamax Isata 26ft

Honda Helix scooter

We use Good Sam and sometimes put our RV and other vehicles into storage which reduces the charges. The changes if I remember correctly are for a minimum of 30 days. The transfer of money back and forth is kind of messy. They charge you the additional premiums when a vehicle is put back into service and with some delay return premiums when a vehicle is put into storage. Overall it works for us and saves a little. We have not had any claims so I don't know how that is. They have insured our HDT and let us put it into storage when needed also. The rates are competitive with others. I don't have any reason to change.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I recall when we set up our insurance with Progressive that the rates were partly based on how many days per year we would be using the coach. Might be worth a comparison...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have had Good Sam (GMAC) for 8 or 9 years. Had several claims - windshield, both sides, Hail damage to car and motor home. Claims were handled quickly and with no problems.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Thank you all for taking time to answer! I really appreciate it!

Something is bothering me about "storage" business. Do we HAVE to put an RV into storage or it can be staying in our yard?

They charge you the additional premiums when a vehicle is put back into service

Do you mean they charge additional premiums IF you take RV out of storage before 30 day?

I recall when we set up our insurance with Progressive that the rates were partly based on how many days per year we would be using the coach. Might be worth a comparison...

Yes, others too, only Good Sam considers full year and then return money if you do not use RV for a while. We might check Progressive, it is just I've read many times that they like to raise premiums every year a lot.

Thanks again!

2009 Dynamax Isata 26ft

Honda Helix scooter

When a vehicle is as they say put into storage the vehicle needs to be at the home base and the collision and liability is suspended. The premiums for the remainder of the insurance period for these items are refunded. When the vehicle is returned to service these fees are billed for the remainder of the term. For instance if I buy insurance on Jan 1 for all of my vehicles and then put 1 in storage for March the collision and liability fees for the remaining 4 months are refunded. Then in April I return the vehicle to service I get a bill for the fees for the remainder of the term [usually 6 month term] or about 3 months. This can go back and forth multiple times and with multiple vehicles. Good Sam sends new coverage papers each time. We have a vehicle we don't use during the winter and put it into storage all winter. We use to put the RV into storage for part of the year but we use most of the year now.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Interesting, did not know GS provided this kind of discount during storage. To clarify, does storage mean you are not "using" the RV at all? In other words, if I have my trailer in an RV park and I'm living in it for a month but don't take it out on the road at all, is that considered "storage"?

'

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

You might be wise to also check with one of the companies that specialize in RV coverages before you commit. There are probably other companies that offer the same coverage as Good Sam does not write insurance but acts as an agent for one of the underwriters. I don't know if it still is, but when we were with GS a long time back the actual policy was with National General Insurance. Here are some places I think you might be wise to get a quote or two from.

Miller Insurance

Explorer Insurance

PoliSeek Insurnce

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have the good Sam insurance and really cant say a bad thing about it. Have had one bad hailstorm that even cut the rubber roof and a blowout that took out the inter fender on an older trailer.

You may be able to save a few bucks by using another company but I just don't believe you could get better service than GMAC that underwrites the Good Sam policy .

Both times with us they paid like clock work and only a few basic questions about the claim.

Guest ticat900

Its very commen for insurance companys to reduce your insurance costs per month if your parked in a RV park all the while living in it and don't drive it for several months

A friend of mine from Idaho has done this for years. All your reimbursed is the liability portion they assume attributed to the driving on public roads

Something is bothering me about "storage" business. Do we HAVE to put an RV into storage or it can be staying in our yard?

Laara, I believe the location of storage is immaterial to the Insurance Company. However, Home Owner Associations and townships, cities may have rules/laws that govern what can be stored in your yard.

Good Sam Club MH insurance is now National General, name change from GMAC. While hoping we never use it, I'm confident it's a reputable firm.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I know nothing about them. But RV Insurance works with 5 different Insurance company's to get you the right policy.

I think National General is the main one they use.

So they could be one stop shopping.

I have National General through Good Sam. And since I Full Time I drop my collision only for 6 months every winter.

Just happens to be my 6 month renewal dates when I do it.

I can't drop liability because if you do in FL you need to turn your plates in to the state.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its very commen for insurance companys to reduce your insurance costs per month if your parked in a RV park all the while living in it and don't drive it for several months

A friend of mine from Idaho has done this for years. All your reimbursed is the liability portion they assume attributed to the driving on public roads

OK, I find this very interesting.

I just switched to Good Sam from another company. My 5er has been in my back yard for a couple of years and this coming March I'm moving it to the coast. It will be at an RV park there for a year.

Do you think GS provides a discount for this long term use?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

OK, I find this very interesting.

I just switched to Good Sam from another company. My 5er has been in my back yard for a couple of years and this coming March I'm moving it to the coast. It will be at an RV park there for a year.

Do you think GS provides a discount for this long term use?

If they do, I wonder if you'll have insurance on contents, and personal injury for visitors.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have been with Blue Sky insurance for the last year. This year at renewal time they hit me, and everyone else, with a huge increase (almost 50% in our case) with no claims history. I started looking elsewhere. We found several less expensive, but they did not have adjacent structure coverage. As FT RVers, we own a lot in Florida as our home base, and do have a shed and nice gazebo. The adjacent structure coverage is important. We called Good Sam and talked to Patrick Flanigan (216.592.7110). He was actually able to write a policy through Blue Sky and saved us over $300 off the original renewal price. The original agent, and a different Blue Sky agent said they could not do anything for us about the increased price.

Bottom line is that the Good Sam agents can write other companies as well. In our case National General (the normal Good Sam company) was not the least expensive for the coverage we needed.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

If you contact an independent agent to obtain cost comparisons that is a good idea. most agents write the Good Sam Product through National General, they also write with other carriers. The agent can do all the "shopping" for you. Thum Insurance Agency is licensed in all states, give them a call 800-866-0777 or go online www.thuminsurance.com.

Crystal

Let's say you have a 5th wheel that never moves that you live in. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a homeowners policy?

That is hard to say, but I don't believe that most insurance underwriters would sell you a home owner's policy on an RV. Most insurance policies are specific to the type of structure that is being covered.But certainly would not hurt anything to check and find out.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived