Blogging on the road

dorrph

We are getting ready to leave in 5 weeks for the open road. I would like keep in contact with friends and them with me. Has anyone found a blog platform that is easy to use? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks for your comments.

Also, I can't seem to put up a picture inner profile. Is there a trick to this?

Also, I can't seem to put up a picture inner profile. Is there a trick to this?

Do you mean you want a picture for your avatar? If so just go to your profile and locate the "Edit My Profile" button and click on it. Under General Account Settings the first item is "Change My Photo."

You might take a look at TripJournal . I find it easy to use, it allows easy integration of a map of your travels and your photos with your journal entry. If you pay for the full feature version they will send you a DVD periodically so you have a permanent record of your Journal. The downside is you don't have as much flexibility as you would with full-featured blogging software.

---ron

I have tried to get a picture in several times, but the response is always the picture is too big.

That means that you need to use a smaller photo. I believe that the size suggested is 100 X 100 pixels. Use a photo editor to crop and size the picture you want to use and then store it on one of the free sites. If you don't use one of them already, there is a link to Gravatar on the edit page. I have not used Gravatar but it does look like a good service.

I use the Google supported BLOGSPOT.COM. The Google support means it is not likely to evaporate one day taking all your memories with it. This happened to me.

I find it is easy to use and free. There are lots of templates to start you off.

The pictures will appear in a separate folder on Picassa which is useful.

I use the Google supported BLOGSPOT.COM. The Google support means it is not likely to evaporate one day taking all your memories with it. This happened to me.

….

This was a real concern for me. I wanted our "blog" to be our own personal journal of our travels complete with our photos and maps. With tripjournal.com we can get a DVD of our journal every year or so. The DVD becomes our personal/permanent record. It can be played back and viewed on our computer using a web browser just as if we were viewing it on the web.

Many of us probably remember full time RVer and blogger "Tioga George". He had an interesting and widely followed blog with several years of entries. Sadly, he lost several years of entries due to some foul-up at the blog host. If I remember right he was using Google's web hosting service when it happened - but it could easily happen with any of them.

Also, if you are using a Mac it is very easy to create a small "avatar" photo from any photo you want to use. Just "export" the photo from iPhoto as a .jpg and set the size option to the number of pixels desired.

---ron

Many companies that offer a web presence also include backups as a part of the service. I've had to use that recovery option more than once when an update went wrong. What I learned to do is to keep the information I'm posting on my local computer and local backup too as well as on the remote site. It is a very small additional effort but if you ever need it it is a lifesaver if you have an issue between server backups.

As far as the risk of losing all of your memories, I write my blog on the laptop (iWork Word) and just cut and past into my blog. Then I go through and create hot links or add pictures. Final step is to copy the blog and past it back into my Word doc. Then I have a full record on my own laptop.

+1 for Google's Blogger platform (formerly called Blogspot). If you've never blogged before, I would steer you away from WordPress. Although it is superior to Blogger in most ways, it is more complicated to use. Blogger is simple, solid, free, and will do what you need.

another vote for blogspot.

and you CAN back ti up to your PC, but even better than that,

I compose my posts using Microsoft Live Writer. It keeps a local copy of each post on my computer, and when I am done composing, i just post it to my blog site. It also allows me to compose when I don't have internet, and post it when I do, which happens a lot.

Sue

While Blogspot is easy to use, a more flexible approach that provides a local copy on your computer is to purchase a domain, choose an ISP, and produce your own website. I do LakeshoreImages with Dreamweaver, hosted by 1&1, but also do a daily update (while traveling) using blogger.

While Blogger is easier, you need an internet connection to use it (if posting directly). With Dreamweaver, you can build daily pages & post them when you get a connection. I also find it easier to control photo layout in Dreamweaver than Blogger. On the other hand, Blogger is a quick, easy way to do a simple blog. Both methods have advantages.

Archived