Headlight upgrade

rdickinson

Jack, Gregg worked on your truck, why no HID lites?

Good to know driving lites make no difference.

I found LED worklites bright but didn't.t light up an area as well as halogens. Maybe trucklights are similar.

A guy at Lordco gave me this site. www.lumenshid.com

I was picking up some cotter pins to replace a wire sandwich bag tie the previous owner used to secure a clevis pin. The Lordco rep said his HID's in his '86 Volkswagen light the road up about 100 yrds. My lights would be almost his roof level.

This seems to be going in the right direction.

Are the bulbs available in blue? White is not the best in snow.

Blue isn't legal for headlights--only white light (and what that is has been defined in FMVSS108) is permitted. Further, most jurisdictions have laws on the books prohibiting blue light specifically--that's reserved for law enforcement and/or emergency vehicle use. The key to good snow performance is minimizing the light directed upward from the headlight. As you look down the road, you want the spot you're looking at to be the first thing between your eyes and that spot that's lit up.

Jack, Gregg worked on your truck, why no HID lites?

Roger, I don't think Gregg had started installing those lights yet, when he found Jack's truck.

That's exactly correct. Jack actually deserves a fair share of the credit for prompting me to make this stuff an easy-to-install kit. He and Gregg saw the setup on my truck at the 2013 HDT Rally, which I wrote up a how-to for a few years ago on this forum, and both made a few comments about the setup. Let's just say that the original version still looked like work. Somewhere in the 1,000 miles or so I drove right after the rally, it dawned on me that there was an approach that might make it pretty easy. It has certainly been a learning process, but this crowd in particular has been very supportive and has given me lots of valuable feedback.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I meant the faded blue BMW's use, not a dark blue. It's been a couple of years since last driving in snow & remember high beam was not the way to go. It was like looking at a curtain of white. However, after the house sells, no need to drive in snow anymore.

I'll be picking a set up in the New Year.

Roger, I think your question was answered.

As a followup, Gregg and I had a discussion some time ago about "required" items on a truck....Davids headlights are one of the items, and fender mirrors are another. One might be "shocked" that some trucks actually are spec'ed without fender mirrors. A necessary safety item in my mind. And all standard now on Gregg's conversions. Gregg builds his trucks right. Kinda like Mike Holmes with houses. "Do it Right" (sm)

Greggs beds are now the "standard" in my mind for a hauler bed/smart bed. Take a careful look at how he does stuff if building your own. Small things matter. Like for example, how he ties all the bed lighting into a central splice box for easy bed removal. But also for more reliability. And how they fill and "block" the bed sides so they don't have "any" ripple in them from welding. Stuff like this matters.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The truck is complete, the deck was done right after yours by Herrin. It is just add on items now. Better backup lights, headlights, back up camera system, battery charging system and generator autostart etc.

Gregg didn't do my truck but I see what he does and as mine goes in for service, I have those items addressed if they need doing.

We came to NE Kansas for Christmas like always, but this year we drove the whole show home. After two years in a row driving back South through 3-5" of Black Ice a few years ago, we have been leaving the Volvo, RV, Jeep, etc., and renting a car for the drive back. Save enough on fuel to pay for the rental, and we love the Jeep, but not for a 1,000 mile one way drive. I never plan on night driving, but got caught this year trying to beat the snow (6"), so had to drive the last 100 miles in the dark, with a heavy mist. Had to make a choice, high beams, and blind the on coming drivers, or drive blind. I did a little of both, and thank the Lord, we made it OK. Enough of that FOREVER! I went to order one of David's kits, but "Out of Stock". All I want for Christmas is a kit. I'll check later. BTW, we hope you all have a safe, blessed, marry CHRISTmas!! Dick & Susan T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Whoops! Looks like I have a problem on the website--it's showing 20 sets in stock on my end...

I'll post back as soon as I have it fixed.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Alright--it's fixed.

I actually have quite a few sets on hand--any orders placed before mid-day Tuesday will ship before I hit the road for Christmas. As of a couple of weeks ago, they're shipping with a new Morimoto ballast design that I had a hand in--start-up currents right in the sweet spot for the Volvo LCM, and they get to full brightness FAST!

Alright--it's fixed.

I actually have quite a few sets on hand--any orders placed before mid-day Tuesday will ship before I hit the road for Christmas. As of a couple of weeks ago, they're shipping with a new Morimoto ballast design that I had a hand in--start-up currents right in the sweet spot for the Volvo LCM, and they get to full brightness FAST!

Thanks David, for the fast reply. Got the light set, and extra bulb set ordered this AM(12/22/14). Now, how about the 2 Front teeth? Thanks again.

BTW, I'll bet it takes me more than an hour to install, like I've said before, I'm old, slow, and dumb! Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Hi Roger,

Here's where you'd go: http://www.deepspacelighting.com/shop/2004-2014-volvo-vnlvtvnx-bi-xenon-hid-headlamp-kit-v2-0/, assuming you have OE Volvo headlight assemblies.

Thanks David, for the fast reply. Got the light set, and extra bulb set ordered this AM(12/22/14). Now, how about the 2 Front teeth? Thanks again.

BTW, I'll bet it takes me more than an hour to install, like I've said before, I'm old, slow, and dumb! Dick T

Christmas arrival will be cutting it a little close--under normal circumstances, it would be 2 days to get to you (arriving Wednesday), but Priority Mail doesn't guarantee an arrival date. It's on its way though!

• 2 weeks later...

Lighting is coming up on another thread but mine refer to the new HID system. What I would like to know is using hiway sized dots, how many does the HID system light up? I think the stock Volvo ones are around 2 to maybe 3 max. Tomorrow night I will pull the truck out of the yard and find a dark road with no traffic or ducks and count when stopped. I'm hoping the HID is several more on low beam, hi beam doesn't get used much so it doesn't matter.

Roger

I think it about 5 on mine. I'm not stopping in the middle of the hwy to count (just kidding). My aiming might be a bit conservative, I never get flashed by on comming traffic.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Thanks Nigel, double is huge. I did qualify my statement by saying 'no traffic'. I'm not comfortable looking beyond where the road is lit especially after driving all day. It seems fog or driving lites are not beneficial after HID installation.

Is 5 dots enough in your opinion when travelling @ 65 mph...maybe a little less at night?

My typical speed is about 63-65 mph @ 1450 rpm. That gives me the wineglasses and driver bonus on my ECM.

I think they are as good as any car I've driven and better than most. No DOT legal low beam is really enough at highway speed in my opinion. The way I can best describe the difference is if there is something on the road you will see it and possibly avoid it (not likely) but with the stock lights you will never know it was there unless it was big enough to stop the truck. You might be seeing one second ahead but certainly not two at 60mph.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Nigel,

You're right on the money. We could do a lot better with our headlight standard--there's been a long-standing debate over US vs. ECE (basically everywhere except North America) lighting standards. A large part of the difference when key parts of the standards were implemented 50 years ago was due to differences in overhead signage--it was argued we needed more upward lighting to be able to see road signs, where Europe mostly used illuminated signage. That point is no longer relevant with retroreflective signs--they're legible with just a very little bit of light. A large part of our standard is also designed to accommodate dual-filament sealed beam designs, where you're pretty limited in how much you can make the high beam different from the low beam.

David,

Got the light kit the day after Christmas, and went to work right away. I had the lenses all polished, and ready so I got the install done

just in time for us to leave for Puerto Rico for a few weeks. My wife couldn't believe I was working in the barn, and outside with 15-20*F temps, but I wanted this sucker ready to head back South when we got back in the USA. Have not been able to figure out a way to drive to any of the islands. Thanks again for your fast reply, and the effort you put into this upgrade. BTW, the water temp here is about 80+*F (just sayin') Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Our daily drivers range from 2008 to 2013. Last night I was driving the '08 home and even on low beams at 80 mph I wasn't over driving the lights. Flip it on high beam and wow.

If the headlight conversion kit is that good, I think I might get it sooner than summer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived