Smart Bed

kfrimr

I don't know about building beds but Cliff's Welding did a lot for us when we needed things tweaked, even did a couple things for the house. If they can't help you they may have a suggestion or two.

http://www.cliffswelding.com/index.html

Good German food nearby so it won't be a wasted trip:

http://zurkate.com/?page_id=5

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I don't know about building beds but Cliff's Welding did a lot for us when we needed things tweaked, even did a couple things for the house. If they can't help you they may have a suggestion or two.

http://www.cliffswelding.com/index.html

Good German food nearby so it won't be a wasted trip:

http://zurkate.com/?page_id=5

I agree with Cliffs Welding as I have had them put in hitches and male custom fuel tanks for my pickups. I don't think I have ever heard of them building or modifying HDT beds for Smart's however.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Smart is a unique automobile. The track width (front axle width vs. rear axle width) is different. The tire diameters (front vs. rear) are different. The axle center and therefore the tire patches locations are different vis a vis front bumper and rear bumper. This is important to tie it down properly and position it properly within legal limit of 102 width (legal limit. it's over that anyway). Then there is an issue with break over angle, winch location, cable location and height, etc., etc.

So, beyond just being able to weld and build a bed or a deck there is substantial additional knowledge which requires "study" or experience of having it done previously.

There is nothing like experience for a smart build. Be very particular about who you choose to build the bed, or you will end up spending hours and dollars on modifying it. It is difficult to get a refined bed from a novice smart-bed builder.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Agree with Hero and Jack. Many people can weld a bed together but the smart brings much more design and consideration to the table. I have relentlely studied specs, forumns, and put in hours of Inventor drawlings refining design. All before I even began to build our smart bed that is still in design mode! It is also critiical, in my opinion, to have a shop that understands hd trucks, not just welding. Experience with HD's in this situation should not be overlooked. I design, fabricate, and engineer our beds. However, hundreds of years of combined HD truck experience in the shop is my number one resource with these beds because lets face it, these guys have seen it all and know what will hold up and last the test of the road. We know that can be a chore at times. One thing is for sure, if you turn your builder to this website and he is willing to put the time in, I am possitive a hd truck/ fabrication shop can figure it out.

So is there a formula as to how far behind the axle the 5th wheel can go? I need first of all to decide if I need to move the axle back. Looking through the bed pictures there are at least three that I find that have singled in the short position and have the car straddled the tire and moved the 5th wheel further back. How is that for stability?

Thanks for your helpfulness

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Putting the hitch back will remove some weight from the front axle and transfer it to the rear axle, as long as you plan for that in your design it is a non-issue.

I'd put the hitch back myself, it makes backing much easier as the trailer will react to steering movements faster allowing you to get into tight spots you couldn't or would have problems with if the hitch was forward. A second benefit is that when driving the fiver will track closer to the truck, with the hitch over the axle the fiver tends to track inside the turn, not good when you are trying to fit through a narrow turn with an obstacle on the inside.

I went two feet back on my MDT, would have gone further if I'd had more bed to work with. Folks with HDTs have mentioned four feet or more here.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 5 months later...

I'm in Phoenix AZ and wondering if any one knows a bed builder here. I want to put a smart on the HDT and need someone to do a little welding. :D

Thanks

Kent

http://mountainmaster.net/smartcarloaders.html

Mountain Master Truck Equipment:

9609 D N 21 drive

Phoenix, Arizona. 85021

Phone: 888-686-6278

Local: 623-451-7121, 602-678-5050

Fax : 602-216-6406

The Few

I like the moutain master very cool.

The 2nd one that idea has been used for years with The military giving the option of having different beds whether it be a flatbed or a dump bed or trash recycling been able to all fit on one truck.

Curious what the price is?

Sure would be nice to buy something that's almost bolt on it might fit on my truck bed without having to rebuild an entire new one.

I like the moutain master very cool.

The 2nd one that idea has been used for years with The military giving the option of having different beds whether it be a flatbed or a dump bed or trash recycling been able to all fit on one truck.

Curious what the price is?

Sure would be nice to buy something that's almost bolt on it might fit on my truck bed without having to rebuild an entire new one.

They specialize in custom build products, so I am more than certain they would build something to your specifications and needs!!!

The Few

Archived