Has anyone ever had their RV rig weighed or measured by DOT enforcement?

noteven

Several years ago when I was pulling an enclosed trailer behind the 5th wheel I was stopped about 8 miles north of the Iowa border in Minnesota. The first words out of the officer's mouth were "how long are you" I told him I was 64' 11" which was true. I had my enclosed trailer custom built from H & H trailer so I could keep my overall length under 65'. He did pull out his tape measure and confirmed what I told him, however, at that time maximum length for my configuration was 60'. He proceeded to inform me that it is legal to tow a second trailer with a recreational vehicle on it behind the 5th wheel in Minnesota, however, the 5th wheel cannot be longer than 28.5' I believe it was and the combination cannot exceed 60' and the second trailer can contain a boat, snowmobile, motorcycle, or four wheeler, but you can't carry a gas can on that trailer, or a tool box, or a barbecue grill or anything but the rv. He made me unhook the enclosed trailer and called a wrecker to tow it off the highway and wanted him to take it to their impound lot. I asked the officer if the driver could pull it to the next exit where there was a truck stop and I would unhook my 5th wheel and pull the second trailer into Minneapolis and leave it in my cousins driveway and come back for the camper. He didn't seem to like the idea but he agreed. He then told the wrecker driver to stay there and watch me leave with only the enclosed trailer or he would not get any more work from them. The officer kept telling me he could give me a commercial ticket that would require me to appear in court but he was going to give me a break and not make it a commercial violation. I had to wait about two weeks then call a phone number he had written on the ticket to find out what the fine would be then I could pay it by mail. It has been long enough that I don't remember for sure what the fine was but I think it was around $185. It is my understanding that the overall length has been increased to 65' for that combination now but I believe the 28.5' length for the 5th wheel is still a requirement.

Overland Park, KS

Link to photos from first HDT rally in 2004

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/volvo-toyhauler/library/2004%20HDT%20Rally

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, stupid laws are not just like those above......

In TX, even today, you cannot have a legal 5th wheel at 101" or a 5th over 40'. There is no registration form for those 5ths. Right Phil's???

Texas, and a few other states like it that prohibit recreational trailers in excess of 40', or define such trailers as mobile homes are, indeed, the reason that the RV manufacturers' largest offerings are nominally 40' models, regardless of their actual physical length.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

So a 64 foot 12 inches rig featuring a 39 foot 10 inches trailer should be big and clumsy enough for 2 people and 8 motorcycles and still fall into Can Am standard RV dimensions ...

Just 8 motorcycles? Some folks think we' re nuts when we take 4.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 4 weeks later...

How does that REALLY work? If you get stopped for a burned out brake light do the police make you fix it right there on the side of the road to proceed? What if you have no brake lights? I know some states are different but in Texas (and I bet many other states) there is no law that can force you to fix it. Sure, they can write you another ticket the minute you pull back on the road but that is all. People get tickets for no insurance and then drive away, right? Expired inspection? You can't get it inspected on the side of the road? The one actual overlength citation that I personally know of, the citation was written, and the violator drove away. There is NO WAY to shorten an overlength RV. Do you think the officer will force you to get a smaller truck to tow your 44ft, heavy as hell, New Horizon trailer and accept the liability for making that smaller truck overweight? What authority does he have to make you hire someone to come get your trailer? What authority does he have to force it towed? The commercial regs allow certain officers to place a commercial vehicle out of service, but where is that authority over personal vehicles?

Now I know the cop will tell you to fix things, or to park it but other than writing you another ticket, can someone please show me the law in your state that says you MUST correct a violation before moving the vehicle from the side of the road.

If a truck gets stopped at a CA scale and there is a problem with the load being too heavy or over axle the CHP will write a ticket and if the defect can be corrected by shifting the freight then the driver may proceed. If the load can;t be shifted the over weight cargo must be taken off before the driver can proceed. When stopped on a road over length the driver gets the ticket and has to drop the trailer and get a shorter tractor to haul the trailer off the highway. (This is what happens where they have a length restriction of 65 feet overall and someone has a conventional tractor with a sleeper cab and a 53 foot trailer.)

Other times in the discretion of the cop they just get the ticket, like a small amount over gross or a minor violation.

I worked for a trucking company that had to take off a cotton bale as they were over weight. They hired a tow truck, transfered the bale and I had to pick it up as I was going that way.

As long as your trailer is 53" or less there is no overall length restrictions on rigs with longer tractors, but if you try and go off the designated STAA route you can be in big violation.

See: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/trucks/truck-length-routes.htm

If a truck gets stopped at a CA scale and there is a problem with the load being too heavy or over axle the CHP will write a ticket and if the defect can be corrected by shifting the freight then the driver may proceed. If the load can;t be shifted the over weight cargo must be taken off before the driver can proceed. When stopped on a road over length the driver gets the ticket and has to drop the trailer and get a shorter tractor to haul the trailer off the highway. (This is what happens where they have a length restriction of 65 feet overall and someone has a conventional tractor with a sleeper cab and a 53 foot trailer.)

Other times in the discretion of the cop they just get the ticket, like a small amount over gross or a minor violation.

I worked for a trucking company that had to take off a cotton bale as they were over weight. They hired a tow truck, transfered the bale and I had to pick it up as I was going that way.

As long as your trailer is 53" or less there is no overall length restrictions on rigs with longer tractors, but if you try and go off the designated STAA route you can be in big violation.

See: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/trucks/truck-length-routes.htm

RRoger, first, it would be easier to read your response if you would type your reply UNDER the quoted text box. And secondly, the things that you are speaking of, stopping at the scales, "working for a trucking company", a 53ft trailer, etc are COMMERCIAL issues and do not apply to the non-commercial RVer's in this forum.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I will add my 2 cents which is worth just that. I think a LEO can shut you down if he believes you pose a threat to public safety if you continue. Now that can be his judgement you may not agree with but are you going to argue? I might some but in a calm open manner and when it becomes obvious my choice is handcuffs I will be done arguing and try and figure way out of the predicament. What do I mean threat to public safety? Would be say brakes out of adjustment such as auto slack adjusters not working. Which you probably would be allowed to manually adjust(if you cannot do it call a mechanic in mobile service) and be on your way probably with a ticket. Generally would not think over length would be considered a threat to public safety. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Generally would not think over length would be considered a threat to public safety. :)

Clearly not if looked at factually. Since commercial vehicles run over the length of RVs, and are pulled by the same equipment (assuming an HDT).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I got measured once in Canada, overall length, trailer length, tire width/weight, this was at a scale and I was hauling commercial. Anyone driving down the road is subject to being inspected and measured whether in a RV or a Commercial rig. If found in violation of the law the vehicle could be required to be adjusted to be legal before proceeding, depending on the state/province statutes.

I was found to be inside all specifications at the above stop and allowed to proceed. This was in June when Canada runs extra inspections and can be really strict and I have seen them pull RVs into scales and inspect them as well as Commercial. I got a special sticker to put on my windshield indicating that I had the inspection so other Canada scales would not repeat the inspection.

They even crawled under the truck and checked all air lines etc.!! Some of the new scales in US are doing enhanced inspections but I have only seen them do commercial trucks.

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

As far as a treat to public safety........if only you knew what some of the farmers get away with. :ph34r: Well, probably best some of you dont know that.

Hmmm, did you by chance mean to type THREAT? And, as a farmer, I resemble that comment. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

RRoger, first, it would be easier to read your response if you would type your reply UNDER the quoted text box. And secondly, the things that you are speaking of, stopping at the scales, "working for a trucking company", a 53ft trailer, etc are COMMERCIAL issues and do not apply to the non-commercial RVer's in this forum.

Big 5er,

I will endeavor to get the posting quote thing corrected in any future responses, thank you for correcting me.

As to the weight issues, and the length issues and other such things, the rules apply to both commercial uses and personal uses.

Should an officer discover that your rig is overloaded you are entitled to proceed if you can correct the problem, if not you have to make other plans. Some things like log books are required if you are engaged in commerce but not if you are in an RV. What particular issue do you believe I was in error on?

Big 5er,

I will endeavor to get the posting quote thing corrected in any future responses, thank you for correcting me.

As to the weight issues, and the length issues and other such things, the rules apply to both commercial uses and personal uses.

Should an officer discover that your rig is overloaded you are entitled to proceed if you can correct the problem, if not you have to make other plans. Some things like log books are required if you are engaged in commerce but not if you are in an RV. What particular issue do you believe I was in error on?

RRoger, yes length and weight are state laws that apply to every vehicle, but the length limits for commercial vehicles are massively different than those allowed for RV's. You also specifically mentioned stopping at scales which is required of RV's in extremely limited situations. You also specifically mentioned a 53 ft trailer which in the case of an RV would more than likely put the entire combination over length since the majority of states limit an RV combination to 60 or 65 ft where a commercial vehicle would not fall under that restriction. These issues have been discussed here numerous times. The search feature on the forum can help you locate them. Also I believe that the link you posted refers to commercial truck lengths and routing, not motorhome registered HDT's.

Your experience as a commercial driver is invaluable but there is a major difference between your commercial experience and the RV world.

2014 smart Fortwo

I don't know for sure about our brothers to the north but down here, should Leo start to question weight on a vehicle, he would look for the mfg label. For instance the 4,000# of coal on my 1/2 ton ford might be a safety concern for some and the squat might draw attention. :rolleyes:

I looked into this a little and found that those mfg labels must be on the vehicle until it is first sold, after that I can find no law or rule that requires them, a lot like the tags on your pillows. I only know that if they are there, you might be required to live by them. Don't think paint will work, but drilling out the rivets does. Don't see weight ever becoming an issue with HDT' motor houses, length is another color horse and is well discussed here. Should my thinking be incorrect, I am open to education.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

In all of the posts I've read/noticed I haven't seen this mentioned.

If your truck I'd Registered in State A and the legal length is 65FT and you Travel to State B where the Legal Length is 60FT are you in violation of State B's Law or are you Legal because your States Limit is 65FT?

I got pulled into an major inspection on a local road this past summer on my way to pick up my RV. The officer saw the RV decal on the side and asked for the registration/ insurance and my drivers license. I am registered as a motorhome here so that was quickly looked at and handed back. They said that the main thing they are looking for from RV's with air brakes is that you have your air brake endorsement (Q) code on your drivers licence. I'm just glad I didn't have my trailer on. The length may have been harder to get past. :)

In all of the posts I've read/noticed I haven't seen this mentioned.

If your truck I'd Registered in State A and the legal length is 65FT and you Travel to State B where the Legal Length is 60FT are you in violation of State B's Law or are you Legal because your States Limit is 65FT?

Length is not reciprocal. If State B is 60ft, then you are limited to 60ft no matter what your home state allows.

I got pulled into an major inspection on a local road this past summer on my way to pick up my RV. The officer saw the RV decal on the side and asked for the registration/ insurance and my drivers license. I am registered as a motorhome here so that was quickly looked at and handed back. They said that the main thing they are looking for from RV's with air brakes is that you have your air brake endorsement (Q) code on your drivers licence. I'm just glad I didn't have my trailer on. The length may have been harder to get past. :)

Rick, what state? Texas does not have an air brake endorsement for a non commercial Class A license. That may be something that people want to be aware of and carry that info with them.

2014 smart Fortwo

Length is not reciprocal. If State B is 60ft, then you are limited to 60ft no matter what your home state allows.

Rick, what state? Texas does not have an air brake endorsement for a non commercial Class A license. That may be something that people want to be aware of and carry that info with them.

South Dakota doesn't have an air brake endorsement either. We carry our folder with all the pertaining info concerning our truck for our state licensing requirements.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Phil,

This was in Alberta, Canada. I believe that all Canadian provinces require air brake endorsements if the vehicle is equipped with air brakes. It is a two part system here that requires you to have in class training then a practical test. Then if you pass the practical exam they give you a completion form which allows you go write the government exam. Once you pass that the "Q" is put on your license showing you have you air brake training completed.

Archived