Has anyone ever had their RV rig weighed or measured by DOT enforcement?

noteven

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was one that I personally know of in Houston that got a ticket for being 68' (3' over the 65' limit).

And one in Kansas that I know of that had to disconnect his toad, like Mark.

And then there are the guys on here that tow regularly at 75'+ that have never been stopped.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Never once in 15 years fulltiming. 13 years with an HDT and trailer. 8 years double towing.

In all that time I know of four overlength issues. Mark was one of them. And the other three had HDTs. Of the others, all got tickets. One ticket was killed....two were paid. None were forced to go out of service.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

90k with the HDT and never been weighed (other than when I do it) or measured.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Dennis, what could you possibly have that weighs 90,000 lbs? Your Volvo can't weigh more than 20,000 lbs at the absolute most and that is a REAL heavy guess (I figure closer to 18k in reality). Your Mountain Aire, loaded and again being real generous, maybe 18,000 lbs. 2,000 for the smart, so being real high I guess 40,000 lbs max. That is nowhere near 90,000 lbs.

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er, I think Dennis is talking about 90k miles on his rig.

Chip

DUH!! The topic was weight,and that is as far as my brain processed numbers.Thanks for pointing out that I'm an idiot Sushi :lol:

2014 smart Fortwo

DUH!! The topic was weight,and that is as far as my brain processed numbers.Thanks for pointing out that I'm an idiot Sushi :lol:

OH, you're not an idiot (but let's not take a vote :blink: ) but you are just experiencing what a lot more of us do sometimes! And since your numbers to retirement will be getting lower, your chances of misconstruing everything will increase :o:D .

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

HHHMMMm I am wondering. I am currently at 67 feet so lets say I am stopped and measured. Since I have a full blown Class A CDL(even though I don't keep log books have to get one, etc) rather than having to get a driver licensed to tow this I would be able to do so. Though I would probably be ticketed, forced to get and over length permit(even though I don't think you can because it is a RV, that would be interesting). I guess would depend on LEO and State laws where you where stopped.

Sorry to the OP but his question brought this to mind for those of us that have a real class A CDL which I don't think are to many. What think everyone? :unsure: Oh I have nevber been stopped just looked at a few times. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

The restriction is on the vehicle not the license. You would need a commercial plated truck to leave the scene.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If you get stopped and you are over length for an RV you will get a ticket and you will have to reconfigure yourself to a legal limit to proceed. CA has the most complaints filed with various RV clubs and forums. Just keep in mind that just because one or two posters say they have done things considered illegal in some States an they have never been ticketed does not make it legal. You must be willing to accept the risk of the ticket if you choose to take changes.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

In Texas anyone can purchase the required permit. When I was stopped for over width (not towing 5th wheel) it was triggered by hauling outside of curfew. In the end I was told not to move it until after 9 am and that he was going to find a commercial driver to stop.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

In Texas anyone can purchase the required permit. When I was stopped for over width (not towing 5th wheel) it was triggered by hauling outside of curfew. In the end I was told not to move it until after 9 am and that he was going to find a commercial driver to stop.

Yeah, anyone can get a permit in Texas. You must either be a commercial carrier OR post a $10,000 permit surety bond with the Texas DMV. I have no idea what a bond company would charge you for that, but I bet it would kind of make getting a permit a wee bit pricey for even a 30 day permit, and that is just to run around in Texas. Every state has different fees and requirements.

2014 smart Fortwo

If you get stopped and you are over length for an RV you will get a ticket and you will have to reconfigure yourself to a legal limit to proceed.

How does that REALLY work? If you get stopped for a burned out brake light do the police make you fix it right there on the side of the road to proceed? What if you have no brake lights? I know some states are different but in Texas (and I bet many other states) there is no law that can force you to fix it. Sure, they can write you another ticket the minute you pull back on the road but that is all. People get tickets for no insurance and then drive away, right? Expired inspection? You can't get it inspected on the side of the road? The one actual overlength citation that I personally know of, the citation was written, and the violator drove away. There is NO WAY to shorten an overlength RV. Do you think the officer will force you to get a smaller truck to tow your 44ft, heavy as hell, New Horizon trailer and accept the liability for making that smaller truck overweight? What authority does he have to make you hire someone to come get your trailer? What authority does he have to force it towed? The commercial regs allow certain officers to place a commercial vehicle out of service, but where is that authority over personal vehicles?

Now I know the cop will tell you to fix things, or to park it but other than writing you another ticket, can someone please show me the law in your state that says you MUST correct a violation before moving the vehicle from the side of the road.

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er,

I think you're right on the mark--and two of the interstate compacts have a lot to do with it. The NRVC is the big one--its primary purpose is to require your home state to suspend your license for ignoring a citation in another state, while also prohibiting collateral/bond collection by the outfit issuing the citation with the express purpose of reducing the inconvenience to the motorist and getting you back on the road (they just want your money!). It outlines two options: personal recognizance (i.e. you sign the ticket and promise to respond), or immediate appearance in court if that's not permitted. The consequences back in your home state only apply for failure to comply with the "terms of the citation," which "means those options expressly stated upon the citation".

Article VIII says "The provisions of this compact shall not apply to parking or standing violations, highway
weight limit violations, and violations of law governing the transportation of hazardous
materials." That would suggest that it does apply to over length/width/height violations, which would mean you'd have to pay the fine, but could continue on your way.
The caveat? Not every state is a member: MI, WI, CA, OR, and AK are not. A different agreement, the Driver's License Compact, requires the jurisdiction issuing the ticket to report it to your home state, and for your home state to treat it as if it occurred at home under your home state's laws. GA, WI, MA, MI, and TN are the only non-members--CA would report it to your home state. Actual implementation tends to vary quite a bit--some states don't bother with minor stuff--and the home state has to determine if there's an equivalent law. Operating a 68-foot long vehicle in CA when your home state is SD? SD doesn't care, as that's a legal length, and it doesn't go on your record. Don't pay the CA citation? SD doesn't suspend your license. Do the same thing with TX as your home state, and it could be attached to your driving record, even if there were no points associated with it, but CA would still be on their own (at least as far as the NRVA) to collect. If an officer sees a prior ticket, I'd have to think your chances of playing dumb about your length go out the window.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I don't really care how it ACTUALLY works. All you law breakers just keep doing what you are doing and let us know how it works out for you. I only know of the multiple Prevost owners who were pulled over in CA, ticketed and required to disconnect their toads before proceeding. YMMV.

Think of it as "civil disobedience". :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I think there is a big difference between a toad that can be disconnected and driven by a passenger and a fifth wheel that has no power to propel itself down the road.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I only know of the multiple Prevost owners who were pulled over in CA, ticketed and required to disconnect their toads before proceeding. YMMV.

"Required" how? The cop said "do it" and they did. What happens if they "don't" or "can't"? I travel alone. If I had a toad I couldn't drive it too.

So, I am back to my original question. Other than writing the operator another citation as soon as he pulls back into the roadway, what can he really do?

You, Bill, have answered nothing. The only thing you have contributed was to come into this forum and call people names. All of us "law breakers" wish to thank you for your discourteous and uninformative post.

2014 smart Fortwo

Yeah, anyone can get a permit in Texas. You must either be a commercial carrier OR post a $10,000 permit surety bond with the Texas DMV. I have no idea what a bond company would charge you for that, but I bet it would kind of make getting a permit a wee bit pricey for even a 30 day permit, and that is just to run around in Texas. Every state has different fees and requirements.

I've purchased surety bonds from my insurance agent before. They usually cost about 2% and are good for a year. So in this case, about $200.

Chip

I've purchased surety bonds from my insurance agent before. They usually cost about 2% and are good for a year. So in this case, about $200.

Chip

And it looks like the maximum fine (assuming it's a first offense within the last year), at least in TX where this would apply, is also $200 (plus courts costs). I suppose that would suggest rolling the dice!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived