question about coyotes

Simplepleasures

BTW, coyotes like cats too. The feral cat situation in this county is nil now.

Good for the Coyotes....

And I LIKE cats, have always had one. While the family farm often let the coyotes get away to be taken care of at a more opportune time.... Feral cats were ALWAYS dispatched immediately. The barn cats were safe, as were the house cats.... As long as they weren't more than 1/4 mile from a dwelling.... Any further and they were turned into crow food.

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are in far greater danger of your pets being injured while you are traveling with your RV and getting into an accident than you are from coyotes! Just be sure to keep your pets on a short leash and stay with them.

It is extremely unlikely that a coyote is going to come up within 5 feet of a human and try to grab your pet.

Don't go out of your way to look for things to be afraid of. Do be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions to do the best you can to be safe.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Coyotes are becoming more brazen; less fear of humans and urban environment. Small canines and felines are easy prey for the coyotes. Lately I have had encounter as close as 10 to 15 yards. The concern of them carrying diseases and attacking is very real. Keep your pets on a short leash and do not leave them unattended outside.Also, get a bigger dog that cannot be eaten in one bite.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

We are surrounded by coyotes here in Northwest Arizona. In fact this morning while I was drinking my coffee on the porch I watched one roam the beach across the river from us. Many gave good advice. A short leash and don't let them out alone at night. With all the coyotes around us and all the snowbirds waking their dogs, in the 11 years we have lived here I have never heard of one being taken off a leash, but many have been let loose to, as Barb said, to do their business and don't come back. When we walk Ruby at night we carry a large can of pepper spray just in case.

I don't think most people are in "great danger" hiking with their dogs ON LEASH. But I do carry pepper spray with me when doing so. Either bear spray or a smaller personal size in campgrounds. I typically am more concerned about aggressive loose dogs than a coyote. Been there, done that. Which is why I often - not always - carry pepper spray when walking Poppy.

As far as hiking in the "wilds"....If in bear country and it is allowed, I'd be armed. In Alaska, for sure I'd be armed, since it is never an issue there. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. JMO. It depends on the circumstances what is appropriate....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you DO find yourself out in the sticks with a meat snack on the end of a short leash, it's always a good idea to always use the buddy system as well. That way you never have to worry about having to outrun a charging wild animal... just your buddy. :lol:

I really believe cases like that are extremely rare. Probably just as common as getting struck by lightning. Does it happen? Yes. Should you let it dampen your enjoyment of the outdoors or cause you to leave your little companions at home? Absolutely not! A little common sense goes a long ways. Like another poster mentioned.. I am MUCH more fearful of a domestic canine off leash than I am over any critter I've ever met in the wild.

If Kathy can publish some tasty recipes on the recipe forum for free-range coyotes it will help reduce the coyote population.

OK.....

Here ya go: Recipes

:) :) :)

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Jack if you are going to carry a gun for bear protection you better make it a shotgun with double ought buckshot or a hunting rifle. A pistol of any kind will only piss them off...it definitely wont kill them. Not to mention the terrible inaccuracy of a pistol especially with a charging animal coming at you faster than a horse. The noise of a pistol might scare them away. The best thing for bears is a flame of some kind. A road flare works real good. We have used firecrackers with very good effectiveness.

As far as the coyote problem I believe its getting worse. A friend of mine was walking his dog , a small breed, in the desert by Wickenburg a couple of weeks ago. He turned around and caught a coyote stalking them. Would it have attacked with the dog on leash....I dunno but he said it took quite a bit of effort to even discourage the coyote and make it move off.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

When you consider millions, if not billions, of people walk their dogs every day with no coyote attacks I think the chances of being attacked by one is probably less than the chance of being stuck by lightning. Sorry, folks, I think this is all just scare tactics. Keep your dog on a leash when walking it, which should always be done in any case, and I just can't believe you will ever have a problem.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Don't go out of your way to look for things to be afraid of. Do be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions to do the best you can to be safe.

I really believe cases like that are extremely rare. Probably just as common as getting struck by lightning. Does it happen? Yes. Should you let it dampen your enjoyment of the outdoors or cause you to leave your little companions at home? Absolutely not!

When you consider millions, if not billions, of people walk their dogs every day with no coyote attacks I think the chances of being attacked by one is probably less than the chance of being stuck by lightning. Sorry, folks, I think this is all just scare tactics.

These all fits with our experience. Those who wish to be frightened can always find something to fear and antidote stories to support their fears. Those with a little bit of common sense just go their way, enjoying life and following proper pet care practices, which is all that is needed. If you wish to find something to fear, you will always be able to do so with just a little bit of imagination. :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Truth be told I too am more leary of stray dogs than I am of coyotes. To answer the OPs original question if common sense is used while walking your dogs everything should be fine. However its not just coyotes to watch for. Owls, hawks and eagles would find a chihuahua a tasty meal. So keep that in mind if you have dogs outside on a leash. Our dog is not much bigger than yours and I have observed birds of prey circling above us when taking her for a walk. If she is outside on a leash while we are boondocking I pretty much need to stand guard with her.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Here at our park in Tucson, AZ, it is a city ordinance against tieing your dog outside unattended. Coyotes can knock over untable cages. We had a coyote walk right by our site at 8 AM a couple of days ago. Then he walked down the streets and among the RVs as if he owned the place. So they are NOT 100% nocturnal. When in Texas several years ago, a hawk swooped down and picked up a small dog that was let out to do his business unattended. Very sad. Being cautious and aware are the operative words.

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

Jack if you are going to carry a gun for bear protection you better make it a shotgun with double ought buckshot or a hunting rifle. A pistol of any kind will only piss them off...it definitely wont kill them. Not to mention the terrible inaccuracy of a pistol especially with a charging animal coming at you faster than a horse. The noise of a pistol might scare them away. The best thing for bears is a flame of some kind. A road flare works real good. We have used firecrackers with very good effectiveness.

Not to lead this topic astray, but to answer this post....typically if in heavy bear country I'd be carrying a 45/70 in lever action...otherwise know as a brush gun. But that is a rare occurrence. And really needs no discussion here.

The coyote issue is dependent on where you are. In some areas it is not an issue at all. In others it "may" be an issue if you are neglectful. To dismiss it as something that does not happen is avoiding the facts. It does happen. Just not often, as I said above. Take reasonable precautions and you will not have an issue. In fact, as others have stated, it is not an issue MOST places at all. It is more of an issue dealing with other loose dogs, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I never really worried about coyotes until there began to be a problem with rabies in the AZ county where we stayed in the winter. Fox were also affected. A woman was bitten by a rabid fox over near Parker.

I then began carrying a gun on my belt when out walking in the desert.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Coyotes seem to be all over the country in varying amonts. Back in Wi. there were a handful of reports of people losing their pets to a coyote when they left them outside. Even fenced yards did not keep the coyotes out. One news paper report was of a toy poodle that was let outside. The owner heard a yelp and went to the door just in time to see a coyote running away with the toy poodle in it's mouth. In Az. we heard them almost every nite. They are around, just use common sense. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

A .25 calibre air rifle will do the trick. Very quiet, and no one will even know that you shot it.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

There was a case recently of a woman surviving a grizzly attack with a pistol. It was the first one I'd heard of and was only a .25 auto. She was hiking with her boyfriend when a grizzly unexpectedly charged them. She shot the boyfriend in the knee and got away.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

There was a case recently of a woman surviving a grizzly attack with a pistol. It was the first one I'd heard of and was only a .25 auto. She was hiking with her boyfriend when a grizzly unexpectedly charged them. She shot the boyfriend in the knee and got away.

Buwahahaha :lol: I think I just wet myself...

I was reading dead serious.. thinkin bout where you might hit a charging bear with a .25 that would make a dent.. lol I don't care who ya are.. that's funny right there. Good setup!

LOL. It takes talent to tell a joke like that in written form. Perfect written timing!

Clarkie
Dick & Linda, hosting Abbie, our miniature Dachshund.
23.5' Lazy Daze MH
Newberg, Oregon

Deja vu. This thread brings to mind the many folks I have met over the years that worry so much about bears that they are afraid to enjoy a walk in the woods. That stated they do have some very real concerns but in general unless certain circumstances are involved the odds of a close encounter of the most miserable kink are few and far between. Simply be aware of these circumstances as related to your surrounding and prepared for them. The suggestions herein appear sound. Keep them in mind and enjoy the desert with your dogs.

Later,

J

PS Most of the Trooper's I responded with to the missing hunter/wounded bear SAR carried 12 ga shotguns with "slugs". Myself I had an 18-inch Mod 70 in 458 Win Mag made up for that purpose.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Archived