question about coyotes

Simplepleasures

I'm a new RVer and will be traveling with 2 chihuahuas. We walk everyday and I'm afraid of coyotes. As we will soon be in desert areas I would appreciate some advice. Will my pups be safe on leash while I am walking them? Do you think coyotes would attack if I would be sitting with them outside. And if so, what can I use for protection?

This is really bothering me. Thank you for any advice.

Linda

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not leave them unattended outside, but you should be fine. Coyotes tend to keep their distance from human scent. Even out hunting and leave a gut pile.. the coyotes will give it a while for the human scent to dissipate before they will approach it.

By way of protection... (I know some won't like this much) it's never a bad idea to at least carry a small .22 pistol when you're out in the sticks. The sound alone will scare off most critters... and if you're out in the desert it's pretty handy for snakes as well.

Although we have occasionally seen coyotes when out walking with our two dogs, they always stay far away from us. As long as you keep your dogs on a leash when walking them and you are always outside with them when at the RV, you should never have a problem with coyotes (you will, of course, keep your dogs contained in some manner when outside at the RV...either on a leash or an outdoor cage...don't let them run around loose).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Your pups are not safe. I have seen small dogs & cats in the mouth of a coyote being taken into the brush here where we live in AZ. They have jumped our wall and hauled off chickens. Don't leave them unattended. Even then if the coyotes are around homes or a town they will not be scared of you. I have threw rocks at them and they would only move out of range. They will stop and watch you for the moment you let down your guard. I agree with the .22 but use snake shot. It will sting but will not kill and should there be homes or RVs in the area you will not put anyone at risk. Also we have had Bobcats try to get in the house jumping at the windows to haul off our cats. We lucked out all three times as they didn't make it in. Now we never leave a window open more than a fist width unless the window has bars. Funny, we barred a couple of windows & doors to keep the critters out, not people. So Bobcats can be a problems depending where you are.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Coyotes can be a problem anywhere in the country, not just out in desert areas. They are great adapters and have become very well adjusted urban survivors. We had a couple trot through the Coach Care facility in Elkhart, Indiana one Sunday morning just as bold as can be. Keep your pets on a leash and you should be fine.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

25-06 will deal with them as far away as you can see them.... 22-250 if you want to harvest pelts.

22 Hornet or 17 HMR if you like to call them in close...

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

For what it is worth: Coyotes have snatched small dogs right off the end of a leash in SW Florida.

When walking do not use a long leash.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Coyotes are becoming a problem here on Mustang Island too. However both Corpus Christi and Port Aransas have laws against discharging firearms within city limits(both cities have jurisdiction over parts of Mustang Island). So be sure you know the local laws regarding carry and discharge of firearms if you decide to go that route. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I hesitate to comment here, but just can't help myself. By now, I suspect the OP is scared to death to go RVing, for fear they will be attacked relentlessly by wild animals. It appears that the more populated areas have "braver" coyotes. They sure don't bother us out here in the boonies. I would not recommend Florida for sure. You can troll for coyotes with dogs on a leash there, LOL. Bobcats jumping through windows? OK, but how often does that happen in more than one place. People and pets also get struck by lightning, occasionally. Simplepleasures, I would recommend you go to the desert and enjoy yourself. Don't leave pets unattended, but don't be in fear of attacks by animals. It just doesn't happen that often.IMHO

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

I hesitate to comment here, but just can't help myself. By now, I suspect the OP is scared to death to go RVing, for fear they will be attacked relentlessly by wild animals. It appears that the more populated areas have "braver" coyotes. They sure don't bother us out here in the boonies. I would not recommend Florida for sure. You can troll for coyotes with dogs on a leash there, LOL. Bobcats jumping through windows? OK, but how often does that happen in more than one place. People and pets also get struck by lightning, occasionally. Simplepleasures, I would recommend you go to the desert and enjoy yourself. Don't leave pets unattended, but don't be in fear of attacks by animals. It just doesn't happen that often.IMHO

+1

Even though there are a lot of yappy dogs that are best used for coyote bait... It just isn't a problem, at least for us, and we have lived solidly in "coyote country" for 60 + years.... :rolleyes:

Dave

1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Seriously, if this were that big an issue then no one with small dogs would ever visit the Southwest desert. Could it happen? Sure. Does it happen? Almost never. Coyotes are primarily nocturnal and do most of their hunting then. They have learned that humans are to be avoided and they keep their distance.

I grew up in Arizona and have spent many months boondocking in desert areas. I've seen coyotes and heard a lot more than I've seen. Have I ever had one approach me or anyone else I know, regardless of whether or not we had a dog with us? No. Do I know of anyone who has? No. This is another one of those scary stories with no merit that gets passed around. Just don't tie Fifi outside overnight and you will be fine.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Coyotes can be as bold as brass. I had 3 walk up on me and my dogs several years ago but then again farm dogs don't brook insolence from coyotes. Still it was scary to be sitting there and look to see them only a 100ft or so away. Don't let your dogs chase coyotes and make sure thy have a good recall or standdown if they are off leash when hunting. Might save you an expensive vet bill.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Coyotes are a problem if you leave your pet outside or on a long leash. Probably worse if your dog is at the end of the leash barking madly at the coyote. A coyote is a smart little beast and a single one is often not really single but a scout for a larger pack that will be called to join it if food is found.

I haven't seen any coyote attacks on people but they are more wary that afraid of you and as was said will hover at a distance they feel safe until they get a chance to run in and snatch some food. How aggressive they are depends mostly on how hungry they are and a hungry one will take a lot more of a risk to eat.

Don't leave food or water outside unattended, keep your dog close and don't go out for a walk in the desert at prime hunting times (dawn and dusk) and you should be fine.

Talking to your neighbors is also a good idea, we stayed at an RV park in Arizona that was on a coyote route from the nearby hills to the county dump. Knowing that there would be several large packs of coyotes moving through and planning walks to avoid them was a good idea. Folks would sit outside and watch the coyotes cruise through the park checking for fine dining opportunities on their way to and from the dump. Folks that ignored the advice lost pets every year which was sad and preventable. Folks that took the minimal precautions never had a problem.

Shooting a coyote is harder than it sounds, they are small fast and hard to hit so if you aren't an expert shot you risk missing and hitting something else. Sprays are safer but again the coyote isn't going to walk up and beg to get sprayed so some skill on your part is going to be needed and you'll likely get yourself and your dog in the process.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It's good to be aware of coyotes, bobcats, eagles, snakes, etc. - oh, and don't forget about javalinas, but to be overly concerned as to not to want to go outside is ridiculous. Just about every house in the desert areas owns a dog and walks their dogs.

The same critters are all across the country, not just in desert areas. Think about it. How often have you heard of an occurrence anywhere in the country? Yes, it 'could' happen but I would guess there to be more dogs killed by a vehicle than an animal.

Carrying a gun to protect you? Ridiculous. It's not necessary to become so paranoid.

Just keep them on a short leash and they will be just fine.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Shooting a coyote is harder than it sounds, they are small fast and hard to hit

For a bigger challenge.... call them into bow range and 'stick em'....

Hard on the pelt but.... It works...

Dave

My thoughts as well. I grew up on the farm, lived much of my life in the city but also had 10 years on an acreage in rural WY as well as having spent a lot of RV time in very rural areas and on wildlife refuges. Not one time have we ever been witness to or aware of a coyote attack on any pet in close proximity to the owners. Our dogs have spent many an hour outside on long leads or tie-out devices when we are out camping and yet there have been absolutely no attacks or near miss situations. What can be a problem is that if the dog is not leashed or tied, as they will attempt to chase or otherwise make contact with free roaming coyotes and once out away from the humans, the coyote feels threatened and attacks. Coyotes seldom hunt alone but in pairs or sometimes, especially in winter in packs. The lone dog will almost always loose. Your dog is not in danger if restricted and in your campground or when out walking, at least not from coyotes. Free ranging cats are said to be in greater danger, but I have no experience traveling with cats.

It is actually very true that coyotes in urban communities are far more threat to pets than they are in rural or back-country locations. That is true for several reasons. Urban areas mean that the coyote is adapted to seeing people and while they will keep their distance, they do not frighten easily. In addition, urban areas and ever more developed rural ones tend to have far less of the natural food supply that back-country coyotes rely upon to survive. The primary foods are small rodents, rabbits, and wild fruits, with later animals less common. The linked study says that the rarely eat pets but like so much of natural life they will do whatever is required for survival. I would be much more concerned about coyotes in urban areas where they are known to be around than I would in remote areas.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In most areas and under most circumstances Coyotes are not excessively aggressive. But they will take a smaller dog tied outside. For sure in many areas. Not a good idea to tie a dog out, even during the day. Will it happen to YOU? Perhaps not, but it is fairly common.

They generally are not of any danger to humans, but if you are walking with a dog in the desert alone a large pack may seem threatening. In my experience the more of them - the more they are aggressive.

Generally it is not an issue. But in some areas I'd probably walk with pepper spray, at a minimum. But I often have pepper spray on me for other dogs....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Generally it is not an issue. But in some areas I'd probably walk with pepper spray, at a minimum. But I often have pepper spray on me for other dogs....

The last time Renee got bit (right on her round bottom).... :o I explained it to her.... Walk softly and carry a big stick .... Once she started carrying a sturdy walking stick she never had a problem again.

If your dog is on a short leash that is all that is needed unless you run into the very RARE rabid critter.

Dave

The last time Renee got bit (right on her round bottom).... :o I explained it to her.... Walk softly and carry a big stick .... Once she started carrying a sturdy walking stick she never had a problem again.

If your dog is on a short leash that is all that is needed unless you run into the very RARE rabid critter.

Dave

Good thing she does not carry that stick when around me....or I'd be bruised, I suspect. I'd sure as heck be "kinder" to her !! :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Good thing she does not carry that stick when around me....or I'd be bruised, I suspect. I'd sure as heck be "kinder" to her !! :)

Hmmmm...how best to reply. So many possibilities. I certainly could have used the stick when you told me you had to leave the room to get anything done because Danielle & I were talking too much & distracting you. I could be super-tacky & say as long as you didn't try to "bite" me, you're safe. Or I could just take the high road & ship my stick to Danielle for safekeeping... ;)

Renee

And then you have the idiots like the guy we watched in one RV park who had a bone in one hand, a camera in the other, and was trying to sneak up on a couple of coyotes...as though they weren't perfectly aware that there was a stupid person in their midst!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

And then you have the idiots like the guy we watched in one RV park who had a bone in one hand, a camera in the other, and was trying to sneak up on a couple of coyotes...as though they weren't perfectly aware that there was a stupid person in their midst!

Not surprised at all.....

Leads me to quote a good country song by Syd Masters.....

"The more people I meet.... The more I like my dog..." B)

Dave

Just last summer some coyotes killed a Canada woman while hiking. She was miles from the nearest road according to the CA news report.

Very near our house, a friend heard a commotion outside, when he opened the door he saw his dog run past, followed by 3 coyotes in hot pursuit. By the time he grabbed his shotgun and got back outside the coyotes were gone, his dog was safe but shivering with fright. BTW, coyotes like cats too. The feral cat situation in this county is nil now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived