Greasing the wheel bearings

GR "Scott" Cundiff

It's been a year and over 6K miles since the wheel bearings on my 5ver have been greased and I want it done again over the winter before we start another longer loop. It's beyond the scope of this post but I'm going to need to have it done this year. Does anyone have any tips on getting this done? What would be a reasonable price?

If it matters we're just east of Houston - but I'm looking for more general information here.

Thanks.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

If you have a Coachnet or Good Sam Roadside Assistance Plan, they may be able to give you a list of potential mobile services in your area that you can then check through RVservicereviews.com and the Better Business Bureau. We have had it done on site. Some charge a fixed fee per wheel/axle, some charge by the hour. There may be an on site service charge of a fixed amount or a charge at the hourly rate for the travel time to get to your location.

Thanks folks - there's no listing from the service review website for this vicinity. However, the Coachnet suggestion is a good one. I'm going to be here a couple of months. Last year we saw a couple of mobile repair vans here so I'll keep my eye out for one and then check them out with Coachnet.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

I would give you he link but don't know how.

The easiest way is simply to copy and paste the URL. On Internet Explorer, I get a box that pops up when I "paste" that asks me if I want to allow it to access my clipboard.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Last time I had the tandem axles on my 40' 5er repacked I paid $160+tax and parts(always use new grease seals).

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Make sure that your shackles are inspected as well.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

If you have wet bolts, be sure to have them greased, and brakes checked at the same time. Labor is going to vary around the country. Around here its going for about $40 a wheel, including seals. The brakes are a whole different ball game, depending on if you need pads, pads, drums (or turned) and magnets. I do my own. But to do it right it will take a couple of hours to inspect and do the work, if hand packed.

2015 Montana Mountaineer 356TBF, 2013 3500 SRW Chevy Silverado, LWB, 4x4. We do it because we love it, not because we have to.

http://johnandjanicervadventures.blogspot.com/

Guest ticat900

don't pay anyone to change the shoes if required when doing bearings.BUY complete NEW backing plate assembles as their only 60$ per wheel and takes less time than changing out the shoes.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still not sure what I will do, but it will be after the first of the year before I do anything. The only price I've gotten so far was from a nearby dealer. The mechanic said off hand that it would be $500-600 if I did it there - and I would have to bring it to them.

I'm going to ask at some of the nearby auto-repair shops that have big driveways - they may let me park it in front of their shop and do it. One thing for sure, if they did that I wouldn't have to worry about them doing a tear down and then leaving me high and dry till they got back to it.

We have had all this done by Goodyear, locked out brakes on the road, needed brakes and 2 new tires. Ouch. We decided to have everything done since we were going to be there most of the day. I never even thought to go to a dealer. Scheduled an appt., pulled in, mechanic on it right away. Then out the door. I would look for an independent rather than go to a dealer.

Guest ticat900

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still not sure what I will do, but it will be after the first of the year before I do anything. The only price I've gotten so far was from a nearby dealer. The mechanic said off hand that it would be $500-600 if I did it there - and I would have to bring it to them.

I'm going to ask at some of the nearby auto-repair shops that have big driveways - they may let me park it in front of their shop and do it. One thing for sure, if they did that I wouldn't have to worry about them doing a tear down and then leaving me high and dry till they got back to it.

That price is so ridiculous its funny.I have done this for a living for many years. It takes a guy about 2 hours to repack wheel bearings on a trailer

even in a shop at 110.pH that's only 250.00 including seals and grease

That price is so ridiculous its funny.I have done this for a living for many years. It takes a guy about 2 hours to repack wheel bearings on a trailer

even in a shop at 110.pH that's only 250.00 including seals and grease

What's your recommendation for the frequency of this work? Mine were last done a year and around 6500 miles ago.

Thanks.

Guest ticat900

What's your recommendation for the frequency of this work? Mine were last done a year and around 6500 miles ago.

Thanks.

what size are the wheels? Assuming they were done correctly and you never had any excessive braking(high heat) over that period you should be fine

The MOST I would do would to be have a knowlegable person check a couple of the outter ones as they go dryer 3 times as quick as the inners

If there fine all is well. Doing the 4 outers only should be under a hour

what size are the wheels? Assuming they were done correctly and you never had any excessive braking(high heat) over that period you should be fine

The MOST I would do would to be have a knowlegable person check a couple of the outter ones as they go dryer 3 times as quick as the inners

If there fine all is well. Doing the 4 outers only should be under a hour

I'd say they are 16" - does that sound about right?

Thanks.

I just replied to this question in the General information forum. Dexter Axle says 12 months/12,000 miles. Alko-Kober Axle says 6 months/ 6,000 miles. I provided a link there to the websites.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We grease our bearings ourselves each year, ravel about 12000 per year, no big deal. We have easylube bearings, you just need to be careful about not putting in too much grease. Our biggest problem is the grease gun always leaks, have tried various but they all leak.

Archived