Hmm, bad day in Paradise

phoenix2013

You never like to see anything like that.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

First, I hope no one was hurt. Secondly, I've always been concerned when I've seen some of these toy haulers after owners come back from a day of riding. Hot machines being stored in a tinderbox with auxiliary gas tanks strapped underneath. I know, there are few examples of this kind of carnage and I'm sure that 99.9% of the folks are extremely careful. But for those who are not, it appears to be an accident waiting to happen... IMHO.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Fires happen in residences all the time, for all the usual reasons, frequently entirely preventable, as any experienced fire fighter can tell you.

My question is purely one of #'s.

I wonder what the per capita number of fires in sticks and bricks locations vs per capita of rv's? A crispy RV is always going to garner much attention.

I think the injury rate in the RV's is much lower, but have absolutely no evidence.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Majority of the damage in the kitchen area,

Fridge fire?

Hope nobody or any pets were injured.

That would be my best guess as well.....towing possibly? Imagine looking in the mirror and wondering where all that smoke is coming from and then that "Oh No" sick feeling. Followed by the fastest disconnect in history. I have thought of this a few times after seeing brake fires and fridge fires. Going through the plan on what to do. Unlock hitch, pull the brake cable and haul ass! Unless the fire is too far forward near the Propane Cyl then get away!

I too hope it was not while parked with pets inside and of course no people. Glad we ditched the RV Fridge.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Followed by the fastest disconnect in history. I have thought of this a few times after seeing brake fires and fridge fires. Going through the plan on what to do. Unlock hitch, pull the brake cable and haul ass!

Interesting, and timely discussion. I was unhooking Sunday, and Little Brother commented on a bow in the rear of the bed. I said I was going to straighten and strengthen it to provide a "catch" for if/when the hitch might have an "unscheduled release."

Now I'm thinking perhaps that would not be a good idea.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Makes you wonder whats the greater risk some jerk releasing your pin at a stop or getting unhitched quickly. Since the emergency brake was activated at a truck stop, have locked the pin release lever in place. It is hard to get the lock off without a fire, hate to think of doing it with a fire. Looks like the slide was out and the bike(s) were inside. Makes one think breakfast was a little well done.

http://community.webshots.com/user/leeclay

Volvo 770, 391k Sunnybrook, HD Roadking his, HD Dyna Glide Hers.

Few years back I was lucky to catch things before my fifth looked just like the picture above. We pulled into a rest area, my wife went back to the rig, opened the door and smoke poured out from the inside.

The cheap ass Chinese shackle let go,

019.jpg

the axle on that side went up and the tire came in contact floorboard in the wheel well. After the smoke cleared we went inside moved one of the loungers and found glowing embers in the floor.

020.jpg

We were pulling with a pickup then meaning most of our stuff was back there.

wow phoenix2013, that would be scary

one 4th of July I had a 5er cranking away keeping itself cool for grandma (she was staying in it for the weekend). she comes walking back from the 5er saying that it smells funny (I of course look sheepish and walk up to check it out). sure enough the 5er is getting full of smoke. luck would have it we had several fireman and fire inspector at the lake with us

kill the power and start looking; here the neutral was loose and it overheated and started a small fire in the circuit box

here I come to find that neutrals getting loose on the shoreline and causing issues is pretty common

2 years later my father gets a different camper; pull the panel and check the neutrals; sure enough they are loose with some evidence of overheating (melt-age)

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Here is a LINK to the Fire Safety presentation from the 2014 HDT Rally. The one I did not do because I could not be there. It is a modified presentation from my previous ones - if you have seen them. It covers a number of the items being discussed here.

Fire is a scarey thing in an RV. They go up FAST. I've had a fire in mine....which is what prompted me to start the Fire Safety presentation. I urge you to take a quick look at it and think things over.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For what it is worth, this is what I A L W A Y S do:

1. I pump fuel out of the Yamaha Rhino, back into the toy hauler gas tank, before I drive it into the garage. There is enough fuel in the lines to drive it up the ramp and back it out, at the next stopping point.

2. I open the vents to the garage. While we are moving, the top vent, facing forward, forces air into the garage and, the bottom vent, facing backwards, draws air out.

3. I shut off the propane tanks before I start towing the trailer. I do not run the fridge while I am driving. I keep a bag of ice in the freezer while on the road. I turn on the fridge, after we stop for the day. The ice and the closed fridge preserve the food just fine during the day. I have a thermometer in the freezer and the fridge compartments.

4. I use a tire pressure (which also monitors temperature because they are related) monitor. Best investment, in safety, that I ever made. While driving, I cycle through all 12 tires to check the pressures. I do the pressure check about every hour.

If anyone has any other safety tips, I would like to know about them.

Someone enlightened me!

Why would you run the refrigerator on propane while towing?

Why not 12v?

It is best to cool the refrigerator and it's contents down prior to travel.

That way most modern rv refrigerators will keep their contents to safe temperature at least 4 to 8 hours, with out power.

So I don't understand the refrigerator being the cause of the fire?

I never travel with open propane or 120v sources.

Unless it was a tire or suspension or brake issue or motorized toy in the garage?

What caused the fire????

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Not many fridges run on 12 volts these days and a 12 volt fridge if you can find one will need big batteries or the addition of heavier wire from the truck alternator to the fiver's batteries. On a motorhome you'd likely have to leave the hous and chassis batteries connected.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley;

Marine does it all the time! 12 volt.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Curt, we are RV's, not boats :D

And my refrigerator stays on all the time, 110v or propane. Read the owners manual for any Dometic refrigerator. Dometic fully expects that refrigerator to be used on propane while driving down the road since they don't tell you to turn it off while driving, only when refueling or parking near fuel pumps. They also plainly state that while a vehicle is in motion that leveling the refrigerator isn't required due to the vehicles movement. They are designed to be used on propane while a vehicle is in motion.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Stanley;

Marine does it all the time! 12 volt.

Curt

So do the truck cab ones, but they are more expensive. RV industry would never consider anything that would cost even two bucks more and is available for two bucks less.

We've always RVed (42 years) with the fridge on. Just like to have this cold cream available for coffee when we stop. That is not to dismiss the fact that it did represent another potential for fire.

I checked Jack's seminar material on RV fires, reminded me of the fact (early dementia) that I had another RV fire. A bearing let go in one of my axles and overheated things on that wheel. I've got to dig up some pictures of that, impressive. My wife still talks about the fact that she never saw me move so fast with the fire extinguisher.

Another bit of Lord's providence, few miles down the road and it would have been too late.

Few years back I was lucky to catch things before my fifth looked just like the picture above. We pulled into a rest area, my wife went back to the rig, opened the door and smoke poured out from the inside.

The cheap ass Chinese shackle let go,

019.jpg

the axle on that side went up and the tire came in contact floorboard in the wheel well. After the smoke cleared we went inside moved one of the loungers and found glowing embers in the floor.

020.jpg

We were pulling with a pickup then meaning most of our stuff was back there.

Crud !!!! Good thing you stopped when you did.

Fires are like any other "accident". Many are preventable, but not all. Stick houses have electrical issues just like any rv. Stick houses burn during cold season or Christmas because of extra heaters and dry trees etc. Cats and dogs can bump things over. Mice can chew wires. As long as when these stories come about, they end with "no loss of life" that's all that matters really.

I'm a work'n on it.

We tried running with our frig on 12v and it only lasted about 4 hours before it drained the trailer battery. Ever since than we travel with it in propane as we do not have a 12v feed from the HDT to the trailer for accessories (yet).

I really think that trailer fire was caused by that warm sun beating in through the skylight and started something inside on fire. Up here the snow on the roof an angle of the sun prevents that from happening! Of course we are trying to make a joke out of someone else's bad luck. Sorry to see someone lost their trailer and belongings.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Not to start a firefight (sorry, the devil made me say that :rolleyes: ), but the fridge is not the only problem with "propane on" while driving. How about all of those pressurized propane lines bouncing around inside the trailer? If you have a "production" trailer (as opposed to a $200K custom built trailer), the workmanship leaves much to be desired.

The possibility of a propane (or fuel leak), in an enclosed trailer scares the bee-jevers out of me. I would not make a good suicide bomber. LOL!

BTW - I also shut down the propane (and power), when we leave the trailer and, take the Rhino out for an all day excursion in the desert. The food in the fridge is fine.

But, each to his own!

Norcold fridge here. 8k miles each summer for the last 6 summers. Fridge is always on propane running down the road. Only switch to 120v when plugged in somewhere. Could it catch on fire some day? Sure. I still live in a house. Could a toilet tank crack and start flooding the house while I'm out piling up the miles on the coach? Sure. But I don't bother going down the basement everytime I leave to shut the water valve off. I do shut the water pump off in the coach whenever going down the road because I wouldn't be able to hear the pump running if a pipe sprung a leak. Also always turn it off when we're out. I'd bet more damage is caused to rv's from leaking pipes than fridge fires.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Guess the units I have had and looked at are 12/120v or 12/120/propane.

New to me!

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Archived