Newmar Mountain Aire. Says it's insulated. How well?

Deezl Smoke

There are NO RV's that are insulated as well as a SB house. There are some that are labeled as cold weather use. Just think how thick the walls, floor and ceiling are. How much insulation will fit in that small space. I would not look to live in cold weather in this 5er, or anything that was not custom designed and built, which this is not.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I am prejudiced (see sig), but this is a really nice fiver. The Newmar Mountain Aires were one step down from the Kountry Aires. When we were shopping a Newmar dealer told me that the Kountry Aires are heavier and more for folks who don't travel much, the Mountain Aires are a bit lighter and more for RV'ers who want to travel. The GVWR on our Mountain Aire is 20k, so they are not light by most definitions.

Ours has some kind of cold weather package: dual pane windows, 1 AC and 2 furnaces, two 40 Lb. LP tanks. According to Newmar all of the Mountain Aires have "perforations" in the heat ducts to send heat into the tank areas.

I have not kept up with prices, but this looks like a pretty nice rig for a reasonable price, definitely built to stand up to full time living. We use ours five to six months of the year and have done so for six years, one year we went ten months straight, with no real wear and tear issues.

Ours is very well insulated and we survived some seriously cold weather in Denver a few weeks ago:

Low High
Mon 12 above 65
Tues 10 above 14
Wed 14 below 3 above
Thurs 8 below 9 above
Fri 1 below 33
Sat 7 above 29
Sun 3 below 29

Kept both furnaces running at 65 degrees, did not use any electric heat as I wanted furnaces running. Ran off fresh tank all week, Cherry Creek State Park has a loop with heated water spigots so we were able to refill.

Only problems were condensation and frost around window frames and using four 40 Lb. propane tanks in 10 days. We were perfectly comfortable, in fact warmer than we like at night, and nothing in the water system or dump valves froze.

That said, I would not want to do that or recommend it long term. If nothing else the cost of propane and potential issues from the condensation would issues.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Oh, forgot to add: Newmar has a brochure archive were you can find info on this unit.

Dennis & Nancy

Our Travel Blog

Our 1st Fifth wheel was a 40' 1995 Newmar Kountry Aire with the rear kitchen like the one for sale. We full timed in that 5ver until 2005 when we bought a new 39' triple slide Newmar Kountry Aire. In the 11 years that we full timed we stayed in some pretty cold spots and never had a problem. The first 5ver did not have dual pain windows the 2nd one did which made a big difference. Newmar built a very fine 5ver up through the 2005 models and then they started going down hill. That is when they brought in the management team from Fleetwood. That 5ver should serve you well if it has been taken care of. Get the Vin and call Newmar and they may be able to give you some history on it. I don't think they came out with the dual tandem axels until the 1998 model. There were 2 models ahead of the Mt Aire and they were the Kountry Aire and the London Aire. The London Aire was at the top and if you were ever in one you could see why. The Kountry Aire was like the Cadillac while the London Aier was more like the Lexus LS 460L series.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have a KA, and one of the things I specifically wanted was duals. I have already singled up a couple of times and kept rolling. 8 vs 6, but the quality tires available at a reasonable price offsets it. They are the same size as dually pickups. 2nd reason- axle tolls here in the NE US.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

So it sounds like I may need to call on it. Nadaguide is not very accurate on it for some reason. They say 3 axles, but in the pictures, it sure looks like 2. Of course, then I'd have to sell my Hitch Hiker.

But wow Dennis, that is some cold weather to be in an rv during. Glad you came out ok.

I'm a work'n on it.

Does this one have dualls also. If so, the only draw back is that. It moves the chassis in farther and cuts down on floor space. They are very well built units.

The duals do make the frame narrower, but have no effect at all on floor space. It primarily means that our BigFoot jacks are closer together than optimal, but no big deal. The eight tires on two axles and towing stability more than offset offset any negatives, just as Sibernut said.

Dennis & Nancy

Our Travel Blog

We love ours. You should find that an MA (back then) has a full 14" steel frame, made in house. I also like welded aluminum. (IMHO, if sticks were so great they'd still make airplanes that way). If you go check it out, pay attention to the 2 rear corners of the floor. We saw several used units with rot in the same spot.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

They must bring the floor above the chassis then. Was not aware of this.

Yup, you got it. Also gives us three low outside compartments plus the generator compartment outside the frame rails.

Dennis & Nancy

Our Travel Blog

I decided to not call on it. I already have a nice trailer and am building a semi van to be what I want. So I figured why put myself thru the selling game twice. But thanks for the information. I love to learn as much as I can about things I am interested in and rvs are definitely high on my interest list.

I'm a work'n on it.

Archived