Walmart

kathyg

Don't remember which ones, but we stayed in a couple WalMarts in Nova Scotia this summer. We sought permission and were heartily welcomed. The lady we spoke with was delightful, wanted to know where we were from, wished us a safe trip and was very concerned that we were enjoying our visit to her home. It was our first experience at Camp Wally...a very positive one.

"In Nova Scotia it is illegal for a private property owner who does not have a campground license issued
by the Provincial Government to provide an RVing member of the traveling public a place to stay overnight."

"Our government and the campground industry consider camping in locations such as Walmart [sic] parking
lots illegal. The Tourist Accommodations Act and Regulations requires all land owners who plan to offer this
type of "camping" to have a license to do so.” 13

Please find in the following link, a study of the effects of this law.... and the law is stated. It is interesting where I found this study :)

www.escapees.com/parking/Docs/rv-report.pdf

It looks like more are not allowing parking..

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.htm

Ian.

Quoted from a 2011 post on the Fiberglass RV Forum:

Good news!
I contacted the Nova Scotia Tourism Department and received the following reply.
It looks as though logic has prevailed and overnight parking IS permitted.

"Good Morning,

The Tourist Accommodations Act remains the law of the land in Nova Scotia, however, officials of the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage have stated that RV owners, as well as landowners are not committing an offence by simply parking or allowing parking overnight of an RV in a parking lot (i.e. shopping mall parking lots and other private property). According to the earlier interpretation of a provision in the Tourist Accommodations Act, a private landowner who did not have a campground license was subject to prosecution if he/she allowed RVers who were members of the traveling public to park overnight on his/her property. Although the Tourist Accommodations Act is still in place, it has been determined that RV owners are not committing an offence by simply parking overnight in a parking lot. Therefore, we are please to advise you and other RV travelers that there is no ban or law restricting RV parking in Nova Scotia.

We continue, however, to promote and encourage the use of our private, provincial and federal campgrounds for the safety and comfort of our visitors.

Travel Counselors are available 7 days a week to assist you with reservations for accommodations, car rentals, and adventure tours.

Our brochures and services are always free!

Sincerely,
Candace
Customer Service
Check In Nova Scotia
1-800-565-0000 or 902-425-5781
checkin@blueocean.ca
www.novascotia.com"

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I posed the question about Nova Scotia o/n parking on a great Yahoo Group dedicated to o/n parking at Walmart and got the same info posted above from the owner of the group. Quote below.

I hope this helps to put to rest the misinformation about the law banning o/n parking at places like Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc.

Re: O/N parking at WM in Nova Scotia, any new info?
Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:24 pm (PST) . Posted by: whalberstadt
In 2011 a member of another discussion group pursued this question with the Nova Scotia Tourism Department and received the following reply:

--------
Good Morning,

The Tourist Accommodations Act remains the law of the land in Nova Scotia, however, officials of the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage have stated that RV owners, as well as landowners are not committing an offence by simply parking or allowing parking overnight of an RV in a parking lot (i.e. shopping mall parking lots and other private property). According to the earlier interpretation of a provision in the Tourist Accommodations Act, a private landowner who did not have a campground license was subject to prosecution if he/she allowed RVers who were members of the traveling public to park overnight on his/her property. Although the Tourist Accommodations Act is still in place, it has been determined that RV owners are not committing an offence by simply parking overnight in a parking lot. Therefore, we are please to advise you and other RV travelers that there is no ban or law restricting RV parking in Nova Scotia.

We continue, however, to promote and encourage the use of our private, provincial and federal campgrounds for the safety and comfort of our visitors.

Travel Counselors are available 7 days a week to assist you with reservations for accommodations, car rentals, and adventure tours.

Our brochures and services are always free!

Sincerely,
Candace
Customer Service
Check In Nova Scotia
1-800-565-0000 or 902-425-5781
http://www.novascotia.com http://www.novascotia.com -------------

It is fairly "weasely", but not much has come up since then to suggest any enforcement of a blanket ban on overnight RV parking in Nova Scotia. I would say it is no longer an issue.

Bill Halberstadt

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have bought them for years and still own one, but I don't recall it saying when camping is prohibited in that directory. Looking at our present copy I didn't see any indication at all of camping allowed or not. It isn't a camping directory, just a store directory.

I sure thought the atlas gave that info but I checked and it doesn't. This is what I was thinking about WalmartAtlas

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Archived