I need some experience

RV_

OK I have my new to me truck. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but it seems long beds, like my last two diesels were, are scarce as hen's teeth used. Compound that with the fact that I only wanted the 2005-2007 Dodge with the new to me quiet diesel. They went to the 6.7 mid 2007 so both the 5.9 and 6.7 were made in 2007.

We aren't fulltiming again but my accountant, who makes me sleep on the couch if I don't get her permission first, has approved both my truck to replace the very nice daily driver 2009 Ford Ranger I had, that wasn't capable of handling any serious loads, and another trailer! If I were fulltiming I'd only get a long bed. But I thought to get a TT this time just for weekends and my upcoming stays near the Oklahoma City Laser Spinal Institute.

But I'm wondering if a slider hitch is worth the price from a bang for the buck perspective. Are they hard to operate and use? Much maintenance? I have a gooseneck hitch in the truck, but I won't use a gooseneck adapter at all for anything other than a gooseneck intended and gusseted from the factory trailer.

I'm fine with a TT, my Dodge 2500 and the right control hitch would be fine. But I like to know all my options.

Do any of you tow a fiver with a short bed and sliding hitch? Should I go that way if I find the right smallish fiver? Or is it too much hassle?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Slider needs depend on the trailer. Newer trailers, with the rounded corners are fine without. Older, squared front units MAY require a slider. Our Mega-Cab was fine with the semi-round Quantum most of the time, but I could turn the truck hard enough going forward to contact the cab. Reverse, the ratio flipped, and backing into a spot was occasionally possible, but often easier with the hitch moved. If you find the perfect trailer floor plan, check the front of the trailer before buying a hitch. If you find a screaming deal on a slider hitch, buy it, and never worry about needing it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We supposedly could get away with not having a slider hitch, because we have the newer rounded front on our 5er, but I'm just not comfortable with the risk. We had an older Reese manual slider which was a major hassle, and finally upgraded to a Pullrite Superglide hitch. They are pretty easy to maintain, just a little spray of WD40 prior to hitching up is all that is needed, and maybe once a year a little grease on a couple places.

I would go with the Pullrite Autoslide no work at all, nothing to do when backing or turning. No oh no I know I should have released the hitch, now I do not have a rear window. It is a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion, yes with the new curved front you may not need the slider hitch unless you are backing into an spot that is not level with the road. There is a new hitch made by Anderson to use if you have a goose neck hitch in the truck that I will use in my next truck if it has one and costs less than any other hitch I have found.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3225--ultimate-5th-wheel-connectiongooseneck-version.aspx

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Thanks guys!

There is one for locally for $600.00 for sale in Craigslist. Guess I need to go find out which one it is. It sounds like I may need to go that route. I had thought I could make do with a smaller TT, but I also thought I could do with a small Ford Ranger too. Now I know it will have to be the pullrite.

I'm a diesel head, and a fiver driver. I'd rather have too much truck and not need it, than need it and not have it. Now I need to do my homework.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived