wisconsin summer ?

strawberry joe

Hi all,

I live on the gulf coast in alabama....looking for a place to hide from heat and humidity for the summer months. Like may-sept.

I spent last summer in upstate N.y. and it was wonderful. Problem being...tough ride getting there and need to do something different.

so question is...will the northern parts of Wisconsin do the job for me, weather wise ?

Seems like it should do..but what are summers like there ?

thanks

For about the same distance and very different from Alabama how about Santa Fe or Taos New Mexico?

hmmm...i'd love it...just never thought about the south west in summer...haaa too close to yuma i suppose, was the thinking

joe

Santa Fe would be warmer than Taos. Eagle Nest, Angel Fire, Red River, Ruidoso or Cloudcroft (which are above 8,000' in elevation so may be a medical consideration for some) would all likely be cooler than either Santa Fe or Taos in July and August. Ruidoso is about 1150 miles from Mobile.

Edited to clarify the statement about elevation.

Lived here my entire life. Can't wait to be able to leave behind the winters. It's a great place to be in the Spring, summer & fall. Well cared for State & County Parks. Many summertime attractions including golf, fishing, camping, waterparks, kayak/canoe & biking along with top notch entertainment. www.Travelwisconsin.com will get you started.

Todd

Excuse the hijack but something does not add up. JM posted:

The elevation in Taos is 6967 and Santa Fe is 7260

The elevation cited for Taos is correct, but the elevation of Santa Fe does not make sense. It is exactly 7,000 feet at the plaza in the downtown area. I worked for the City Different for several years. My office was in City Hall which is a couple blocks north of the Plaza on Lincoln. Everyone who lives there knows the elevation at the plaza.

I see where JM got the elevation on Wikipedia. I wonder where they got it? The city does cover a fairly large area and I have no doubt that some of the areas up the canyons are at a higher elevation, but the main downtown area of the city is not. Most of the city is below the downtown area. The airport is quite a bit lower at 6,344. It's out near the waste treatment plant which is located where everything runs downhill to. (Make your own joke here.)

I checked Google Earth and it shows the elevation correctly at the plaza - 7000 feet exactly. I checked a couple topo maps and they show the same thing. As I said; interesting.

Of course you have to pick somewhere to list an elevation for a city. Albuquerque for example is 4950 at the river near the downtown area but over 6,000 along Tramway Blvd near the Sandias. Wikipedia list the elevation as 5,312, close to the airport elevation of 5,355. The elevation they list for Santa Fe makes no sense.

I'm from Wi. & a snowbird. We are usually in WI. from April - Oct. The north 1/2 of the state is where I would recommend for summers. It is cooler and there are more national forests etc. The weather changes like everywhere but we've experienced low temps. up north. Once we even had snow flurries in June. Also we've had 90 degrees but not so much. I would say that many days you would want a jacket. Also too much to list for great camping & sight seeing. Good luck, Dave.

Not knowing anything of Wisc., Minn. or Mich., are their RV parks that have a wide range of amenities in a beautiful area?. If I'm going to stay for a month or more I'd like a few creature comforts. One thing that's a must for me is a fitness center, and open enough for satellite, etc.

Maybe these will answer your question :

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=wisconsin

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=minnesota

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=michigan

Be aware that there are many more parks in each of these states that are not listed . Some are true dumps , a lot are nicely kept . ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Some must see things: Duluth to see the ore/coal carrriers coming and going, Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish, Sault Ste Marie for the locks, Mackinac Island and the bridge, Door Peninsula in WI. Just a few to get you thinking. What about taking the Great River Road north? I can forsee a great 2015 trip for you.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Loved the weather around Wisconsin in August. We attended the week-long Oshkosh Air Show, meandered to the Eau Claire area to visit relatives and actually stayed in small municipal parks along a river - quiet and pleasant and empty. Worth visiting the small river towns of WI and MN; then up into the northern parts of WI and camped along the western border of Lake Superior. Be prepared for quite an amount of bear activity. Sadly, seems to be no education about humans not interacting with bears for the bears' and human's safety. Campgrounds had regular trash cans around where the bears delightfully invaded around 5 pm each evening with the campers sitting on their picnic tables as the critters ransacked the trash barrels and the staff cleaned up in the a.m.; even open trash barrels at the children's playground. Also sad to see bears killed in traffic crossing the roadways to visit campgrounds; was told "yea, usually this time of year it can be 1-2 a day, State will come pick them up if we call." Water was warm enough to swim in Lake Superior, and took some nice cruises around Apostle Islands.

We did experience one of the worst thunder and lightening storms of our lives which rocked our camper for a good 5 hrs, and the first time our one German Shepherd slept between us. Woke up in the a.m. to a sunny day and chain saws whirring from the staff removing tree branches around trailers with no real damage and no one hurt. Other than that, we hit a good, long stretch of just perfectly sunny, comfy days and nights. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe these will answer your question :

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=wisconsin

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=minnesota

http://rvparkhunter.com/state.asp?state=michigan

Be aware that there are many more parks in each of these states that are not listed . Some are true dumps , a lot are nicely kept . ;)

What I noticed at many of the places on these web sites is the use of the word "resort", when it really doesn't apply. They're no more than just a campground.

Archived