portable generator enclosures

ganto

does anyone know where I can get an enclosure for my Honda EU7000i ? after doing a number of searches I came up with nothing unless it was stationary for like a house. it would be nice to run the gen set all night if I need to run the AC in a warm climate without worry about burning my house down or getting shocked :ph34r: .

How will a housing on the generator prevent the house from burning or you getting shocked. Also, you do not want to run the generator if it is enclosed in some sort of housing.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

TXiceman, on 18 Nov 2014 - 9:25 PM, said:

How will a housing on the generator prevent the house from burning or you getting shocked. Also, you do not want to run the generator if it is enclosed in some sort of housing.

Ken

I was thinking of covering up the outlets from getting wet is what I am saying.

Roger Dickinson, on 18 Nov 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:

You'd need air in and out for both combustion and cooling. A fan in the box to pull in and push air out. You could make a box and line it with sound deadening foam or lead shield. Used that on tugs years ago to deaden the thump of the diesels.

You would still have the exhaust noise.

that's what i was thinking of doing. i'm basicly trying to cover the oulets from getting wet if it starts pouring out all of a sudden. maybe ill just keep it under the awning and use a gen tent i read of people doing that also without having no problems.

Mount one of these on the bumper/hitch (Has heavy steel frame on which it mounts that slides into std 2" receiver.) Then, for ventilation, cut large squares out of the back & bottom and replace with heavy expanded metal mesh. Then put one of these on the exhaust of your generator.

Put a separator inside to isolate the generator, line with insulation to deaden sound, and you get the added advantage of a huge trunk for storage while securing and hiding your generator even while running.

drafterontheroad, on 19 Nov 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:drafterontheroad, on 19 Nov 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

Do you mean a Honda EU2000i? I could not find a EU7000i. If so maybe this would be what you are looking for

http://honda.hapcoinc.com/store/generator-box-eu2000?gclid=CK30st2ehsICFVGCMgodHX0ALA

Hope this helps

Ken

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/honda-eu7000is-generator-with-electronic-fuel-injection/74999

this is the gen set I use. I will see if I can get a bigger box for it. and I will be putting a fan in there to for ventilation. another posted and exhaust house for it to I will be buying one of those as well.

DuffMan, on 19 Nov 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Mount one of these on the bumper/hitch (Has heavy steel frame on which it mounts that slides into std 2" receiver.) Then, for ventilation, cut large squares out of the back & bottom and replace with heavy expanded metal mesh. Then put one of these on the exhaust of your generator.

Put a separator inside to isolate the generator, line with insulation to deaden sound, and you get the added advantage of a huge trunk for storage while securing and hiding your generator even while running.

that's what I was thinking!! and your idea with the exhaust hose I bought one of those already. it's just a matter of finding something that will fit my unit!! I can't see spending 8500 for an an onan gen set :blink:

Ganto,

You don't need to spend that much on an Onan. Contact Onan, they have a "used generator department". There were some good deals a couple of years ago. They told me there was a 1 or 2 year period of manufacture that had stator issues, above the norm in their view. The date code is in the serial #. Dates may be around '01.

There is also an outfit in the Eastern US that parts out RV's. The name may have started with a "B". A 7kw Onan was going for about $4500.

This info disappeared with my last computer.

from the wowrk I have done on sound attenuation, it is not simply a matter of building a boc around the generator and shoving some air through the box. You have sound that can travel back through the air inlet and also out the air outley. These paths have to be properly baffled with the proper sound deadening materials and not restrict ait flow.

As for rain protection, simply place a cover over the top of the generator and leave the side open.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Security is key - these high priced and desirable portable inverter generators are highly sought after by the bad guys. Don't make it easy for them. That's why a metal exclosure is desirable - out of sight especially when not running and parked somewhere.

If it's just the weather your worried about, Raise the handles and have a small tent sewn to cover the entire top with side curtains and a velcro loop straps to the existing bars both the power side and gas tank side. Water proof, won't hinder cooling and EZ on and off. Might even find lawn chair covers one could modify.

LEN

Security is key - these high priced and desirable portable inverter generators are highly sought after by the bad guys. Don't make it easy for them. That's why a metal exclosure is desirable - out of sight especially when not running and parked somewhere.

I also agree with what you said about the security of the higher priced gen sets and I agree with you on that since I have read stories about friendly neighbors taking peoples propane tanks and using them with out asking let alone pay for what they used!!! I want to make it as difficult as possible to swipe the genset as well!!

If it's just the weather your worried about, Raise the handles and have a small tent sewn to cover the entire top with side curtains and a velcro loop straps to the existing bars both the power side and gas tank side. Water proof, won't hinder cooling and EZ on and off. Might even find lawn chair covers one could modify.

LEN

I am worried about theft as well. and I want to make it difficult as possible for someone to swipe the genset. I like your idea with the lawn chair but someone could come along with a good pair of wire cutters and cut the chain!!

My husband built a frame in the pickup and had it skinned with aluminum. He put padlocks hidden from view to keep it as secure as possible. Works great with a small fan plugged into it for air circulation. The picture has wood on it till we got the aluminum skin put on. There is room for the external tank and the open bottom lets air in

2013-01-18_16-53-23_395.jpg

2013-01-27_17-07-10_489.jpg

tibbar, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

My husband built a frame in the pickup and had it skinned with aluminum. He put padlocks hidden from view to keep it as secure as possible. Works great with a small fan plugged into it for air circulation. The picture has wood on it till we got the aluminum skin put on. There is room for the external tank and the open bottom lets air in

2013-01-18_16-53-23_395.jpg

2013-01-27_17-07-10_489.jpg

does the genset sit on the bed of the truck or is there a wooden floor on your enclosure??

just curious how much would it cost to have a fill station installed for an onan gen set. i tried camping world and they said they would not do it because of DOT regs. if i;m going with a diesel genset then all they would have to do is plumb it into the rv's diesel tank. i am thinking the dealer might be able to do something like this?

• 2 months later...

My friend and I came up with a secure, easy way to haul our eu2000's around. We made a three box system, one for each of the generators and one for the extended run fuel tank. The boxes stack and lock to each other and to the 4" bumper on the back of our travel trailers. In the cooler months, when it's not necessary to run the a/c, we only take two boxes. (One for the generator, and the other for the extended run fuel tank.) When we are ready to start the generators, we just pop a couple hatch doors off and pull the start cord. We've been testing this system for about a year now, and really love it!

post-50965-0-41601300-1423360074_thumb.jpg

post-50965-0-28183400-1423360089_thumb.jpg

Getting back to the OP's question.. if you are just looking to protect the outlets from rain, you might take a look at the GenTent covers. Looks like for your genset it runs around $199 from the manufacturer, but it's a universal 10k gen cover.. so you can probably find one less expensive.

We have a Honda 2000 and are thinking about buying a kiddie tent for it. We don't use it often but always worry if it rains while we are using it Looked into 1 man tents but seemed like any overkill than stumbled across a kiddie tent. Seems like a good solution..

Archived