Hitch camera recommendation needed

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for recommendation for a hitch camera. I have no helper with me lining up the truck to the trailer so I have need for a camera. For the folks that have a hitch camera would you use the same system or would you go with some different equipment ? I am looking for value for my dollar also. What camera should I look at ? Does anyone have any links ? Does anyone use just one monitor and 2 or 3 cameras together ? I am talking about having a hitch camera and a rear camera. If I am going to be putting cameras on the truck should a look at more than one camera ?

Open for ideas about camera placement,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for recommendation for a hitch camera. I have no helper with me lining up the truck to the trailer so I have need for a camera. For the folks that have a hitch camera would you use the same system or would you go with some different equipment ? I am looking for value for my dollar also. What camera should I look at ? Does anyone have any links ? Does anyone use just one monitor and 2 or 3 cameras together ? I am talking about having a hitch camera and a rear camera. If I am going to be putting cameras on the truck should a look at more than one camera ?

Open for ideas about camera placement,

Al

X2 on this question?

If I can afford it after fixing my pinion angle problems.

GCTaaehl.jpg

What is your budget?

If you are on a budget, check craigslist for used home security systems (recorder, camera and monitor).

My camera (and GPS) system is a work in progress. I will be using a home security recorder with cameras. The cameras and DVR are 12vdc powered, the monitor is USB powered.

My system will have 16 camera inputs (I know, overkill), two audio inputs and will be able to record. It uses a computer monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

The GPS will hav a SSD computer, which is another story.

Jim

Agriculture use a LOT of camera systems on the modern big equipment--and treat them ROUGH!

I have a cabcam: http://www.amazon.com/CC7M2CQ-Weatherproof-Trailer-Livestock-Tractor/dp/B00N33HWIY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1416244465&sr=8-8&keywords=cabcam

This is one of the cheaper units--but it has worked very well for me. I think they also market the same units to consumers under different brands. Your local CNH dealer sells a similar but somewhat more durable unit called Tough cam--right now a 2 camera unit is <$400. http://issuu.com/katrina-stoller/docs/2014_fall_catalog_1-36_exported/0 I would stay away from the AGCAM...seen too many problems.

If you want to put any camera at the back of the trailer, you will need to purchase an extra extension harness for the truck. Let me tell you its worth the hastle!

As far as the hitch camera...mount it in front of and near the hitch. I have mine mounted on the rear wall of the truck, and the white trailer face confuses the irising, so that the hitch area turns black in all but direct sunlight. Its great for rear view while bobtail though!

Finally, don't use wireless...they won't reach reliably from the back of a 40' trailer.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

What is your budget?

If you are on a budget, check craigslist for used home security systems (recorder, camera and monitor).

My camera (and GPS) system is a work in progress. I will be using a home security recorder with cameras. The cameras and DVR are 12vdc powered, the monitor is USB powered.

My system will have 16 camera inputs (I know, overkill), two audio inputs and will be able to record. It uses a computer monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

The GPS will hav a SSD computer, which is another story.

Jim

Jim, this is where I get confused. Trying to piece a system together. I have not put together a budget yet. I do not want to over pay.I have no idea what the cost would be for the different parts that I need. When I come to electronics I am lost. What name brands should someone look at ? What is a reasonable cost for a system ? Is there a good box system out there ? I mean one stop shopping.

Thanks Jeff for the info and links.

Please keep the info coming,

Al

Guest Lostinaz

I have two cameras. One is permanently mounted on the top of my headache rack looking at the deck.

The other is on a strong magnet I bought at Tractor Supply.

I position it to look at the hitch when hitching up. It works great.

I have a bumper pull toy hauler. Freaks people out when I back right up to hitch it up in one try.

Once I am hitched up I move it to watch my air hitch and underneath the trailer at the tires.

You can point it anywhere you want, under the tractor, out the side to look at ladies going by, whatever.

You can stick it upside down and change(or reverse) the image on the monitor.

I got the cameras as a Christmas gift, they were a pain to install, but I wouldn't be without them now.

Rear View Safety Systems, they even work in the dark, and they are tough for industrial use.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=My%2BCompany

image_zps61dfdc6d.jpg

image_zpse91a3988.jpg

Jim, this is where I get confused. Trying to piece a system together. I have not put together a budget yet. You are in the right place. I am sure many people will chime in to help you with systems.

I do not want to over pay.I have no idea what the cost would be for the different parts that I need. When I come to electronics I am lost. I should have asked about your skill level. It sounds like the best system for you would be a "plug and play" system. Maybe something that gets its power from a cigarette lighter socket (as long as you do not exceed its power rating) would work best for you.

What name brands should someone look at ? What is a reasonable cost for a system ? Is there a good box system out there ? I mean one stop shopping. If you have a Camping World store near you, go into one and look at their camera systems. If no store is available, go to their online store and "look" around.

Thanks Jeff for the info and links.

Please keep the info coming,

Al

Watching this ,I don't have one.

I have been hooking up by myself for 3 years and getting tired of it ,but that said its not that difficult.

Truck and trailer are the same width ,line them up and click click .....

X2 I find the Volvo much easier to line up and hitch than years ago with a pick up. I line my fairings up with the sides of the fiver and back in until I am close; get out & check alignment and height; look at distance from pin to hitch - usually about 2 feet; back in cab I pick a mark on the ground versus the lower step and back up that 2 feet until I hear the hitch click shut. No muss, no fuss. Occasionally I have to get out twice.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I met David Mattson (goes by Toyhauler) at the 2013 Rally and, he has one of the cleverest systems I have ever seen, for solo hook up. He has a camera to watch the hitch and, in addition to the camera, he uses a Warner winch remote control system to lower and raise his trailer. He just sits in his truck, backs it up and then remotely lowers or raises his trailer.

HOW COOL IS THAT!

I have been looking at purchasing one of these to assist with hooking up my gooseneck. GN's seem to be a lot more difficult to line up (at least for me), so something cheap and simple as these would work fine.

http://www.peakauto.com/products/electronics/back-up-cameras/

We use camera's similar to these on all our fire trucks, both on-road, and off-road. Very clear picture. But quite a bit more money.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems.html?gclid=CPC96e6dgsICFQqPfgod6SIAdw

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Out of the units Maveric linked to above...http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems/rvs-770614-213-rear-view-camera-system-trailer-kit-fifth-wheel-5th-wheel.html Already set up as a 2 camera system with extra harness and interconnect cable for the 5th wheel and everything. Very similar to the CabCam I use...probably same basic parts. Fair price--If I was still looking I'd be getting that.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

To me Rear View Safety was the system of choice. Inexpensive, easy and cheaper to up grade, pick and choose system or replacement parts. Very easy to work with!

I wanted a hard wire sytem (less expensive, no interference). Others might like wireless like the Voyager, expensive but a good system.

Another option to think about.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

The ones from Leviathan Holdings I've been using in various applications for many years. They are reliable and relatively cheap. The Rear View Safety ones above are also good. I'd look for a monitor that handles at least 4 input, personally. Or set it up with a switch from inception. I run 3 camera on the trailer and three on the truck.

My hitch camera is on a magnet - use at least 80 lbs. That way I can turn it around and watch the smart in it after hooking up. Do not use wireless....I've not found one that is reasonably priced yet that works reliably.

I'm using a 9' monitor and REALLY like the large size. Especially if using multiple cameras on the screen at once.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have a direction to go. I like the idea of buying a complete system that all the parts work together. I have a question. The Rear View Safety Systems cameras and monitors, are they Leviathan brand ? The two systems like very familiar ?

Jack can you make a comment about the two systems. Thank you for your input.

RickS , I have saved the link that you have posted.

Al

I had the same need (wanted a hitch camera); but I also wanted to upgrade the audio/video in the Volvo.

I ended up putting in a double din radio/dvd player in the dash and attached a backup camera to that. (the radio is the screen)

For the backup camera I didn't know where I wanted to mount it so I put it on a magnetic cb antenna. So it lives in the little side door until I need to hitch up then I put it on the deck facing the hitch.

My master plan was to have 1 camera permanently affixed to the headache rack and a 2nd right in front of the hitch; just haven't gotten that far since the portable camera is working so great.

I went with the pioneer 1500 but here is a link to a similar one: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVHX1600DVD-Mixtrax-Touchscreen-6-1-Inch/dp/B00GN5K88U/ref=sr_1_1/185-9188084-9190404?ie=UTF8&qid=1416327946&sr=8-1&keywords=double+din+pioneer&pebp=1416327950808

I believe this is the camera I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/Solidtrust-High-definition-Rear-view-Universal-Waterproof/dp/B009NVXGAI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416327894&sr=8-5&keywords=backup+camera&pebp=1416327899609

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Al,

I think both are good systems. As mentioned above I went with the Leviathan because the monitor was able to connect up to four camera's which is what I'm going to be using. The addition of an external video switch like is used by RVSS makes that system handle more camera's but I think it has only two video inputs on the monitor only. I was able to integrate my Voyager camera that came from the factory on the rear of my fifth wheel with an adapter plug. I use the rear trailer camera the most when traveling and switch to the rear truck camera's when backing up and hitching. I used 3M Dual Lock to mount my monitor over the right side switches in the Volvo.

RV%2520cam.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have a direction to go. I like the idea of buying a complete system that all the parts work together. I have a question. The Rear View Safety Systems cameras and monitors, are they Leviathan brand ? The two systems like very familiar ?

Jack can you make a comment about the two systems. Thank you for your input.

RickS , I have saved the link that you have posted.

Al

Lostinaz & RickS

Do you guys think the system sold by Rear View Safety Systems is made by Leviathan ? Both systems look very similar to me.

Al

Guest Lostinaz

I don't really know.

The way things are today, maybe they are all made overseas, and different companies put their name on them.

I got them as a Christmas gift, and thought oh no, more work, but I sure like them after I installed them.

im running the Voyager system , 3 cameras hooked up to mine and works well. Yes its pricey but i got mine for dirt cheap . now the downside

to the Voyager system, its hard to hook up NON-voyager cameras to it without the adapter cable and those are expensive too.

been very happy with mine so far and would never be without it after getting one.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I will check out the Voyager system. I will see how it compares to the Rear View system and the Leviathan system. Now I need to talk to Santa because I was a good boy this year. lol.

Al

Lou, You are right because of the proprietary plugs ends it is a little harder to integrate Voyager equipment into these systems but it can be done. Since my Voyager System basically went with my last truck when it was sold I had to get adapters to make the wire harness work that was pre wired into the trailer (Voyager). Here is some of the accessories for that. I saved a little money here for the accessories which worked out fine for the install of the new system in the Volvo.

Archived