Hooking into a septic line

lappir

When I parked this year the home owner told me of an existing sewer line from the "Guest House" to the Septic tank. Remarked on how it should be easy to tap into that line and allow me to dump my tanks on my schedule and not the schedule of a company coming out to pump them out.

I offered to do the manual labor and supply the materials (for the decrease in cost to me paying someone to come out.)

I am trying to decide if I go with a full 4 inch dump or put just enough access to hook up a macerator. My thought is a macerator should be better for the septic system and more easily secured. The run from the guest house is quite long and I am on the later 1/3 of the run and possibly the last 1/4. Back flow shouldn't be a problem with the macerator but I'm not sure about it if I (or someone) would fully open the drain valves on a full or near full tank. I looked at the Home Depot for some type of back-flow preventer in the 3 and 4 inch pcv area but didn't find anything. No "helpers" were available either (on a Saturday).

I know there are those who have installed a hook up on their property and hopefully they will offer some assistance.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would put the full 4" sweep in ( makes sure it's pointing in the right direction ) even if someone flushed in the guest house while you were dumping it would not effect the drain as long as the drain was installed with the proper amount of fall. Plus it would be a great cleanout should the drain plug up some day and if in doubt you could still bushing it down for the macerator

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Rod,

In order to tie into the existing system you need to know the type, size and depth of the pipe you will be tying into. Once you have that figured out, buy the correct material and tee to make the tap. As far as surface access, all that is needed is the standard 3" PVC pipe tied into the tap. If for example the sewer line is 4"PVC buy a 4" tee with a 3" sweep toward the surface. Cut a piece of 3" PVC to get you to the surface and Install a threaded cap and cover to just above the ground surface.

Brad

Just install a 4"running tee in the sewer line with the sweep going to the septic tank, then install a 4"riser with a threaded cap. When you dump be sure to a good job flushing to help all the wast move on down the line.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Just install a 4"running tee in the sewer line with the sweep going to the septic tank, then install a 4"riser with a threaded cap. When you dump be sure to a good job flushing to help all the wast move on down the line.

Agree. You need to keep the plumbing codes in that area in mind and the connection should be such that it is standard in case it may be desired for use in some future situation that is different from yours. And do not put in any trap in a main sewer line.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Exactly what Jim said above. If the drop is correct on the line then you should have no issues. You will not get backflow - don't worry about it. Use the proper parts and go a full 4" (assuming it is a 4" line you are joining into - otherwise use the same line size). Put a "long sweep" in if you can, otherwise a regular one. I assume you are dropping directly into the line - not running another line to your location.

If you are running another line you have to put the proper drop in or you will potentially have issues. Use a max of 1/4" drop per foot. In most places code allows as little as 1/8", but I don't recommend that. Make sure there are no "bellies" in the pipe.

If you want to see how I built a fitting to go into 4" line take a look at the article HERE. It shows how I set up the macerator on my coach, and also how I built fittings to go into threaded 4" and 3" lines for the transition from the macerator 1" line.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'd go with the full sized pipe. Make sure your pipe has the correct slope and no low or high spots.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Another possible solution = Sewer Solution.

I keep one of these for use when I am parked at the stix & brix or any other time it is convenient.

Much cheaper than a macerator. I've had mine for 7 years.

Can be bought for $100 + or - if you search.

Video link explains operation.

http://rv101.tv/2013/09/05/rv-sewer-solution-by-valterra-products/

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. It has brought something else to mind and I may be able to resolve two issues with one fix. I have two outlets on this new trailer and really only want one. The outlets are not placed where I would have placed them and there have been issues with them. I believe I can add a macerator to the bathroom grey and sewer black tank to pump to my kitchen grey outlet. I can then choose to use either a conventional dump or potentially use the Terra Product to push everything to a more distant site. I could then get rid of the forward outlet and it's exit from the trailer directly in the middle.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I understand what you want to do and why. I'd do the same thing. But I would ensure that the "old" outlet was still usable for the situation of a dead macerator, etc. I'd plumb it to be usable both ways. If possible.

I also like using a macerator all the time.....it is way better than sewer hoses. You can read my logic on the link I referenced in the post above.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks Jack,

I did read your link and it's what got me thinking. I will take a closer look at the current and see what I could do to ensure a second option is available.

Rod.

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 4 weeks later...

My tanks are getting full and I had a nice weekend to start the project. Found the pipe the home owner found when he put the concrete pad in for "his" trailer but it's only a 2 inch pipe. Got me wondering if it's really a sprinkler line. Tried accessing the sprinkler and the pump and manifold near the house doesn't seem to be working. Another pump near the barn kicks on and pumps the water to the sprinkler system to the best of my knowledge. Will ask the home owner before proceeding.

Did a little bit more walking around the property and find two "clean outs". One near the front door and under maybe a bathroom window. Very close to the house. It's maybe 75 feet from where my trailer is parked and about 2' higher. The other clean out is over by the Guest house and I found a surprise there too, it appears there is a lift pump from that location to the septic tank. I wondered what the 2 inch pipe riser was and not too far from there I see this black lid apparently covering the holding area for the lift pump. While I had the clean out open I noticed water running through the line and then heard it dripping into the tank. Flash light proved to find toilet tissue floating in the tank. Could be a perfect place to dump but it's over 100 foot away, around a corner and up hill. The two inch line I found might in fact be the line to the septic tank. Again not sure if the home owner will know the answer but I might ask him to trigger the pump while I place my stethoscope over the line and see if there is any tell tale noises. Will have to get a maceration pump to feed into a 2 inch line. Will most likely build my own out of a sink garbage disposer.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

No luck locating the line to septic tank. found multiple sprinkler lines. Sure wouldn't be fun if someone would accidentally tie into one of those. Haven't seen the home owner in a few days. Has two jobs and is gone most weekends, when I have the time to work on it. Ground is very sandy so it's heavy but easy to dig. Need to get a long handle shovel to pair with the short one. Maybe a longer probe. Using one that's just shy of 24 inches, not that I want to hand dig much deeper than that.

Has anyone just ran a line to the clean out. Storing and transporting a few 10 foot lengths of 3 inch pvc pipe may be easier than a roll of 3/4 flexible tubing. Would glue screw on connectors to each end. Will price it out sometime this week.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Another possible solution = Sewer Solution.

I keep one of these for use when I am parked at the stix & brix or any other time it is convenient.

Much cheaper than a macerator. I've had mine for 7 years.

Can be bought for $100 + or - if you search.

X2 Really great option and also give you positive flow pressure.

You can run right to the cleanout and pump into it. I do it all the time. No issues, as long as the pipe size can keep up with the volume. You can do a permanent (or semi permanent ) connection there, as desired.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I ran a 120 foot 1 inch PVC line to my clean out for a macerator. I put male hose fittings on both ends and used a valve box with a green cover for them. I connect the one closest to the clean out with a short piece of 3/4 inch black hose.

I put part of it inside a two inch pipe because that part was in an area that could be run over by heavy vehicles (like a pump truck for my neighbor on a septic tank).

I had intended to run a 4 inch line that tied directly to the clean out pipe but ran into problems with the proper drop and some right angles needed. The PVC pipe could be bent in a wide curve and eliminated all but one right angle. By connecting a short hose from the end of the PVC line and dropping the open end into the clean out when dumping I could dump and have no right angles.

I don't care for the macerator much because of the multiple fills and dumps necessary (according to the macerator manufacturer) to get the tanks clean since there is no flow to wash crud out.

It did solve my problem though and the two sites I put in (one for me and one for visiting friends) can use a macerator and avoid having to go to a local RV park to dump.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

No luck locating the line to septic tank. found multiple sprinkler lines. Sure wouldn't be fun if someone would accidentally tie into one of those.

If you accidentally tie into the sprinkler line, just tell the owner you installed an automatic fertilizer system for the lawn while you were at it. ;)

1999 Newmar Mountain Aire, 640 watts solar

Toyota Tacoma 4x4

In order to avoid a LOT of digging to route piping to the septic tank I dug next to the below grade crawl-space of the house and tied into the system at that point. Worked perfectly. Just maintain proper slope.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Picked up the "Insinkerator" today. will work on getting it set up to hook up with the typical sewer hose for the inlet and am still trying to decide on what type of outlet and where I will go. The closest "clean out" is just a few feet from the actual septic tank according to the home owner. It's only his guess, since he was out of country when there was an issue and it had to be pumped out. I recently saw my 100 foot tape measure, but can I find it today. NO... While at the Home Depot I looked at prices and physical sizes of pvc. It seems that 11/4 inch would be the best. Ten 10 ft lengths would be $54.50 while a single is a little over $6. connections vary but looking through a 1 1/2 screw connector I find the ID is right at 1 inch so with every connection there would be a pressure change and a bit of a jet effect. Don't know if that would be an issue. Could not locate a cap for the clean out with a reduced inlet. Will probably just hook up a bit of sewer hose to the screw in adapter.

I do wonder if this all will be worth it. Last year I probably had 5 times the service came and pumped out the tank. At this year rates that will be $250. I have $100 in the macerator so far and haven't bought anything to get the stuff actually to the septic system. I will set up the macerator, but still thinking about the hook up.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. It has brought something else to mind and I may be able to resolve two issues with one fix. I have two outlets on this new trailer and really only want one. The outlets are not placed where I would have placed them and there have been issues with them. I believe I can add a macerator to the bathroom grey and sewer black tank to pump to my kitchen grey outlet. I can then choose to use either a conventional dump or potentially use the Terra Product to push everything to a more distant site. I could then get rid of the forward outlet and it's exit from the trailer directly in the middle.

Rod

I now have a Keystone Hideout with the separate gray outlets. I asked about this on the Keystone Forum and got good advice. No need for the macerator, I ran a sewer line from the kitchen tank to the bathroom gray tank. That way all that flows is gray water. No need to deal with the black. This will work if you can just use the main valve in the middle of the trailer. I still have the kitchen valve so it can be used if needed but the kitchen water drains just fine back to the middle of the trailer. An added benefit is gray water will flow both ways so I don't have to worry about filling up one tank before the other when dry camping.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Almost ready. Bit the bullet on some 1 1/2 inch "Spa" hose. Very flexible, reinforced so it won't kink and quite light weight. Also fits very nicely over the outlet to the Disposal.

One problem now is my outlets are a mere 4 inches above the ground at my current spot. Plan to use a bit of drain hose to go around the corner and hopefully down enough to keep things flowing to the disposal. Wondering if I can lay the unit on it's side and feed into it that way. Would keep the outlet between 3 and 6 o'clock. It really shouldn't make any difference. centrifical force is what will drive the effluent out as far as I can tell. Will try it out with the grey tank from the shower tomorrow. The rise is about 8 inches, but I will make it a full 12 by dumping into my sewer hose over an elbow and then connected to the clean out just outside the house.

Hope it all works.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 months later...

Waiting on the service to come today to pump out my tank and one of the other trailers on the property today. Actually used my macerator (garbage disposal) to pump from the latest arrival into my 275 gallon tank. It worked very well and allowed the person who had just purchased his used trailer the opprotunity to flush his black tank. He is new to the RV game and is planning to leave the trailer where it is for at least the entire year. Had not heard of the Pyramid effect and the need to occasionally flush and back flush his black tank. We put 150 gallons through the 40 gallon tank (according to the label on my 275 gallon tank.) Hopefully the pump out guy won't charge by the gallon. Will get to use my long line for the first time Hope it works without problem. I am full to the brim right now so I hope they don't wait all day to get here. My days off and their days in the area did not meet until today. Wanted a pump out a week ago but price would have been almost double. Let's hope this guy can be counted on to do the job right even if I am not able to be present. 20150201_143603.jpg

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived