travel trailer questions

ganto

Hybrid fravel trailers are a hardsided travel trailer with a tent slide out extension like those of a popup that usually has a bed in it. There are a number of makes and models simillar to these by Forest River,

I do not know for sure if any have the option for a generator. In general not many travel trailers have that option. At least at one time, Northwood did offer a generator option in some models of Arctic Fox and Nash travel trailers.

The term hybrid comes from the fact that they are a hybrid of a travel trailer and a popup. As stated, they are a hard wall travel trailer, usually fairly small and of light weight, but with no sleeping areas inside but that do have one or more sections in the side wall which hinge downward to become a bed that is enclosed in canvas type sides and roof. Most models have anywhere from one to three such beds, which greatly expands the living area. With the travel trailer type of construction they usually have a bathroom & shower, and some are even usable when closed up. Some of them do come with a slide (which popups do also nowadays) but they are not well suited to extreme temperatures but do attract much of the marked for young families. Our youngest son has one for his family that they use a great deal.

I have never seen any hybrid that had an on-board generator set and doubt that I will. With the type of design there is minimal storage space since no cabinets can be placed on sides with beds and they are usually designed to be of light weight. Most of them do have waste tanks, water heaters and refrigerators and generally have capacities similar to the travel trailers of similar size, which also are not usually offered with a generator.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

thanks guys and I was thinking that hybrid was some kind of genset or solar powered system with batteries LOL :rolleyes: . i'm still looking :). I don't like the pop up trailers. for now i'm thinking of just getting something that I can unload after a year

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone...Just a couple of TT questions. Is there much difference in slides that use a cable setup versus the track type

and do most of the new weight distribution hitches allow you to back up without disconnecting them?

Thank you,

Bill & Amy

Bill & Amy 2011 Flagstaff Classic RLWS

2013 Ram HD2500

Reese Hitch

Hi Everyone...Just a couple of TT questions. Is there much difference in slides that use a cable setup versus the track type

and do most of the new weight distribution hitches allow you to back up without disconnecting them?

First let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We do our best to help here and so I'll give it my best shot. If you don't get many responses, you might want to start a new thread since some folks do not read older ones.

On the slide issue, there are several ways to work them and for the larger, heavier ones I would only go with the hydraulic operated ones. With the smaller and lighter weight travel trailers the use of cables is pretty common and I suspect that is due to the lower weight of the equipment, lower cost of it, and because a lighter slide doesn't take as much to operate it. Our son has a hybrid trailer that uses a cable system for the slide and has never given any problems, but that slide is quite shallow and only contains the couch, moving out just the width of that couch. For that type slide I'd not be concerned about use of a cable system. For a slide that was larger, wider, and heavier I would not get a cable system.

On the weight distributing type of hitch, there is no problem at all in backing up while you are hitched to one. If you do need to make an extremely tight turn with the two vehicles approaching 90°, then you should unhook the weight distributing arms but that would be very seldom needed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you,

Bill & Amy

There are some well-known manufacturers (Like Keystone/Montana) using cable operated slides on some pretty large slides, while others will opt for either hydraulic or electric slide mechanisms.

I've not had a trailer with a cable operated slide, but I've owned a trailer with electric rack-and-pinion type slides and now one with two hydraulic slides and an electric rack-and-pinion slide. I haven't had an issue with either type of slide mechanism in the 15+ years that we've used them.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Our current rig uses cable drive systems for the two smaller bedroom slides and electric ram systems for the large living room and kitchen slide. Our previous Teton had all hydraulic ram slides. We have had no problems with any of the various types of mechanisms. The only observation is that the hydraulic systems are faster. The only slide mechanism problems we have encountered were with the Lippert electric ram systems on our Montana. The current draw was so high that it repeatedly kicked the auto reset circuit breaker which made operating the slides frustrating. The "cure" was installing a different circuit breaker configuration, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

The new high-tech accu-slide system by BAL is state of the art. It's simple, durable and, lightweight. It is more robust that one would think as it uses 4 cables capable of supporting 2,000 lbs each, so it can handle even the heaviest slides up to 60" deep. Actually the cables don't support the weight of the slide - that is done by rollers on a load supporting bar. The cables just control the movement and keep everything lined up straight. What more could you ask for?

The reason most TTs do not have built-in generators (other than some toy haulers) like motorized RVs is that you can't ride in a towable RV while it is moving down the road, so there's no need to power say an air conditioner while in transit as you might want to do in a Class C or A. After you stop just connect to a portable, quiet generator and you're good to go.

Chip

Archived