What is your "typical" fuel efficiency or MPG

yourpcgeek49

Flapper quote - That is were we basically as HDTs out shine any pick-up on long trips.

I can fill up at the cheapest fuel stop in any state..or province. Drive 2 to 3000 Kilometres to the next cheapest fuel station( planed way ahead of time). Now with a F350 or whatever you have to stop every 3 to 500 kilometres and pay whatever outrageous price that fuel station has. So over the 3000 kilometre trip I get 1-2 mpg less than a pick-up but pay less at the pump. In the end I pay less.

Isn't that what is more important?

So basically a pickup with a 100 gallon aux tank is the best solution if fuel cost is the biggest concern. :)

The dually has a 11k rear axle which is only loaded about 50% when you figure the truck wt, camper wt and 100 gal of extra fuel. I routinely run with a loaded fuel tank, 800 lbs plus and there is no difference in the dually handling either way. The truck has 300k miles and still has original rear shocks. I used to haul 20k lbs steel coils with this truck on a gooseneck trailer, I know what heavy weight feels like.

Greg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closer to 800 lbs with the weight of the tank itself, pluse all storage in the bed of the truck is now used up.

Yea, but I still find room to haul the extra $30/$50 cash I saved by filling up when cheap fuel is available.

I filled up in Fargo for $2.23/gal with enough fuel to make it to destination in mid Kansas. I've driven past alot of stations with $2.59 fuel the last 2 days.

Greg

Archived