What is your "typical" fuel efficiency or MPG

yourpcgeek49

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the newer trucks will get the same mileage within .2-.4 of a mile. There's only so much energy available in 6.7 liters of combustion space, with basically the same final gear ratio. Now if we start hot-rodding engines, all bets are off :rolleyes:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We average 11.4 at 65mph

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
2006 Fleetwood Wilderness Advantage AX6 40ft
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

I'm right 97% of the time.........and nobody cares about the other 4%

• 1 year later...

2016 F350 4x4 CC ... towing 15,180 5er ... 10 MPG @ 65 MPH on flat ground ... mountains change everything.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

Hey Glen, something was wrong with your truck being it had a lot of problems and poor fuel mileage. I would guess you had a true LEMON of a truck. Every vehicle line had it's share of lemons.

Greg

But I was towing just shy of 21k, high profile, flat front Teton. But everyone I know that has a 2012 cc lb Duramax gets 14 or so normally. Lie o meter shows more but math doesn't.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I get 9-11 towing and 14-15 not towing. My 09 Dodge with the same motor and rear end got 10% better mileage than my current 2014 Dodge. I was surprised at that. By the way, those figures are figured the old fashioned way. I find the on board computers to not be quite accurate.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Weight will lower mpg but also shape of front cap. But I prefer a flat cap for the extra space inside. Really don't have a dog in this though. The Freightliner gets better than Chevy towing.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Over the life of our 2007 Ram with the 5.9L Cummins engine (while we owned it), we averaged 12.5 MPG, with a low of 4 MPG (pulling a 15,000# fifth wheel into a strong headwind), up to a high of almost 24 MPG (running solo).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

06 Chevy Duramax gets 20 MPG solo, 11-12 MPG pulling fifth wheel w/swivel trailer, total gross wt. at 25k. This is with no head wind, I once got 8 MPG pulling into heavy head wind. I don't do that anymore, as a retiree I have the option to wait for a low wind day or early morning drive to avoid the wind.

Edit - Driving habits have a HUGE,HUGE impact on MPG. My son and I each have 2006 Chevy's and I get 2-4 mpg better no matter which truck I drive.

Greg

We as HDTers cannot really get into MPG comparisons/discussions/debates with pick-ups.

If you want to compare the 2 totaly different life styles you would have to go with CPM..cost per mile.

I would venture to say that HDT's spend way more time traveling the countries, campground to campground, wallmart to wallmart :) than Pick-ups

That is were we basically as HDTs out shine any pick-up on long trips.

I can fill up at the cheapest fuel stop in any state..or province. Drive 2 to 3000 Kilometres to the next cheapest fuel station( planed way ahead of time). Now with a F350 or whatever you have to stop every 3 to 500 kilometres and pay whatever outrageous price that fuel station has. So over the 3000 kilometre trip I get 1-2 mpg less than a pick-up but pay less at the pump. In the end I pay less.

Isn't that what is more important?

Now on weekend short distance camping trips I would say pickups would do better..stopping and starting really hurts my CPM.

So you HDTers out there need to stay out of those types topics when posted, unless someone asks specifically about HDT fuel milage.

Just my 2 cents,

HDT peeps are no better that Pick up peeps

We all love to camp and be social.

Now lets all sit around the fire and have a BEER

Kevin

Do you have a gasser? When not towing I get better than the 5.3 litre I had in the half ton I owned previously

Take a look at the avatar... Glenn's got a class 8 RV hauler.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

We're similar to most ... towing a 15K 5th wheel, we get 10-11 at 65 mph on flat ground. Our tow vehicle is a 2016 F350 DRW (3.73 gears) 6.7 diesel. Solo, about 15-17.

26,760 CGVW

We just finished a 11000 mile summer and with our 2015 Sportchassis with a ISL 9 Cummins towing a 21000 pound Mobile Suite we averaged 9 mpg. Our 2012 F350 got 11 so we are pleased with the Sportchassis because of its towing ability and safety

Basically I driving the same Equipment as you. But I must be little heavier on the foot as my averages are much less running close to 34,000 #

No one as mentioned the newer diesels and cold weather. I had a 2011 6.7 Diesel F350 that would regen about 10 miles in the summer with about a 20% drop in fuel mileage ( 2 minute average). In the winter, when the temperature where in the 20-30 degrees,I had HOURS of 2 minute averages below 9 MPG compared to 10-11 MPG at 50 degree and above.

I don't really care what a vehicle is suppose to achieve under a specific condition. I would like to see more charts as to what to expect in extremes.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived