2015 National HDT Rally

sdixon747

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carl, sounds like a good time to be out of your area. Don't use your ear, but put your foot in it and get gone! :)

I agree....beat feet early....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well gang.

Got the truck back and made it to Ohio. Going to rock and roll HOF and the football HOF. Then to forks on Monday. Kinda have a long list of small things that need to be done. The most time consuming thing is paint up dates. I had a a couple "new driver " moments. That front end gets lost when backing up..!!

So not sure I'm going to make this major rally. Really was hoping to make it. You all will have a good time with or without us I'm sure.

Weather turned cold and wet. Time to get south ASAP.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

South won't help. Head west!

Take a look at what you're walking on at the football HOF--there's some waterjet cutting on display.

And if you do still make the rally, I'll have to show you my camera on the hood mirror, along with some backup sensors I've tested but haven't gotten around to installing on the front bumper.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Looks like the creeks might rise in the Southeast. Heavy rains and possible flooding for the weekend. Playing it by ear for our departure.

We might have to put off leaving for a day, our daughter had some major surgery this week and will not be leaving the hospital until Monday or so... Maybe the creeks will come back down. If not, I will add pontoons to the sides and rig a mount for the receiver hitch to add an outboard motor....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Howdy All,

Making good progress on getting ready for the rally, my plan is to leave from home on October 5 or maybe the 6th get to the rally on the 9 or the 10th.

A couple of the folks I'll be visiting with on the way home ride Harley's so I loaded the Road King Classic, on the rear deck, tied down the ramps, ran a chain and heavy lock through everything to slow the light fingered folks down a bit, now all I have to do is load the Smart Car and the Ural into the toy hauler and I am ready to "east bound and down".

According to my measurements I should still be able to jack knife the trailer 90 degrees to the truck and have about 2-3 inches of clearance between the side of the trailer and the handlebars on the bike, I will visually check this BEFORE I leave.

DSCF3140-L.jpg

DSCF3143-L.jpg

DSCF3142-L.jpg

DSCF3144-L.jpg

Its lightly raining here today, riding the bike up the wet ramps and on the wet deck of the truck was kinda butt puckering but all went well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Like others I'm also getting the truck "ready". We are more than ready to hit the road after a summer of "campgrounding". Will make the "big circle" this winter (KS, VA, AL, FL, AL, TX, AZ, UT, and back to CO).

Everything looks good so far. Just gotta do a few things like blow out the campground water lines and we are ready to boogie. Leave here Wed. afternoon....Hutch on Thursday.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

JC,

What was your fix for your truck/transmission issue?

Well the clutch was worn out. No broken or bent parts, just something would get hot and malfunction. Worked fine for or 4 hour trip to Ohio.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

What were the symptoms? Any odd noises? What mileage do they go depending on what is being hauled?

Thanks

When I would drive a long distance and heat up the clutch it would not shift properly when we arrived at a campground or tollbooth. The last time it happened, I let the truck and myself cool down and when I started it back up I heard a loud thump and she worked fine. Had replaced a cabel from the trans to the computer. That fixed the communications error. I had a vibration that I feel in the steering wheel, it happens while driving and when it goes either to nuterial or 12th with no RPMs or load. That seems to be less. Not sure it's related or not. Those were the only symptoms and my mileage is 560k. Hope this is done. Only thing left is the entire tranny. Not cheap.

2015 Continental Coach

Sheehan's had to replace the clutch and flywheel in my Ishift at about 550K miles. Sounds like much the same problems.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Geo, you made it thru the day.. that's 2.

The reason I'm asking is when I was out with the CDL instructor in my rig he mentioned the noise in the trans when shifting down at low speed. Kind of a "clack" noise. He referenced a special lubricant put on the forks of the shifter on a manual trans. This was only for his other Volvo. The noise has me wondering if it is a symptom of something more sinister. Mine is around the 550 k mark as well.

One of the things I think would be useful to people like me who are not that mechanically inclined is to make a list or folder with pics with arrows pointing to the problem area, what the symptoms are, what the symptom looks like, what the fix is at the symptom stage and what the fix is if left to the problem stage. Also possibly whether this would constitute a "fail" requiring it to be repaired right away.

Three Cases in point, after I finished my CDL, I did a Pretrip inspection on the trailer. One of the items checked was the Moreryde suspension blocks as well as the shocks. All the blocks were torn somewhat, not enough to be a problem according to the Moreryde rep I spoke to. The shocks were stained but I didn't notice where the stains leaked from. I do know the one taken off was defective so I had all of them replaced. Total cost was about $4200. Had this not been discovered or postponed, I'm wondering what the consequences could have been if there had been a catastrophic failure.

The second was to change the injector harness. On one of my pretrips I noticed oil at the front left, bottom of the engine. Took pics and sent to Coast Heavy Truck Group in Kamloops. Initially Ken thought it could be a seal but when I got there, initially to have the shifter changed out, it turned out to be the harness. He said we caught it in time. Had the oil penetrated further, it would have ruined some electronics...ECM? I'm not sure. Sure it cost about $3600 but would have cost lots more had I procrastinated.

Crank case spinner filter, I found that and had that fixed. $300 ish

The main thing is the issues were found on Pretrip inspections and repaired as soon as parts became available. The second trip was cut short so the truck could be available earlier in the week in case something went south, they would have enough time to have parts flown in from the US.

There seems to be a lot of Lurkers out there with rigs like ours. I think providing them as well as others with information like this would be helpful on several levels.

Still up Geo?

R

Roger,

Had my injector harness changed two years ago. Interesting, my Volvo Dealer said they all leak after a while and not to replace until the leak got bad which it did. Apparently they silicone around it for a minor leak. So it seems your dealer felt it needed replacing with any leak and mine felt only with a more substantial leak. Hard to know what to believe from the dealer "experts."

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The cost to replace mine was just under $1500 parts and same in labor. Oil was running down the front left corner of the engine from top to bottom. It really didn't look good. Even I figured there was something wrong.

I'd rather not have something defective and drive with it, who knows when it could completely fail, with my luck it would be 3k miles from home in Florida later in the year.

I don't know how bad the leak on your unit was. It would be interesting to compare but both are repaired.

Telling me it would cost a lot more if the oil got into the electronics was good enough for me.

Now it's the turbo gauge.

Well gang.

Got the truck back and made it to Ohio. Going to rock and roll HOF and the football HOF. Then to forks on Monday. Kinda have a long list of small things that need to be done. The most time consuming thing is paint up dates. I had a a couple "new driver " moments. That front end gets lost when backing up..!!

So not sure I'm going to make this major rally. Really was hoping to make it. You all will have a good time with or without us I'm sure.

JC

JC,

What day are you planning on being at the Football Hall of Fame ? I live in Canton, Ohio. Could do a meet up if your schedule works out for it.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Dave / MrCob, who did your bed / drom. Really nice clean look.

Howdy Stekay,

I honestly have no idea who built the truck bed, all I know is it was someone in North Dakota, that's where the truck came from and it was already setup with the bed and drom box when I bought it.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well, the Pre Rally Rally has begun. We are here with Bob and Sue Guthrie (Hither and Yon) and Gene Shanahan (Skydriver). Everybody come on in, the park is wide open.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Last leg today from Salisaw, OK. Should be there mid afternoon. Save me a cold Dr. Pepper.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

SDixon- Did ya'll get our PM?

Hi Jim,

I have sent you an e-mail. I have some questions. Thanks, Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived