Motorhome must haves and nice to haves

BarbDan17

I find about 96% of Rv ers that say you don't need this or that is because they don't have one in thiers. Hard to judge something you have never tried or owned

I have owned plenty of dishwashers and they were great when we were raising four kids; we just don't see the need for one now. We've added many things to our MH but that simply isn't something we feel the need for.

You espouse the concept of "to each his own" and then you imply that other people would like what you recommend if they would only try it. It doesn't matter to me whether people have dishwasher, combos or none of the above. Some people say they enjoy sitting around laundromats talking to people. It has no appeal to me but if that's what floats your boat why should I say that if they only tried having a washer/dryer they would love it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I always caution people who are in the gasser or DP mode with prospects at about the same costs (yes the DP will often be older) that they not test drive the DP as it will spoil them for the great ride. There is just no way a gasser can compare with the ride of the DP with air bags, etc., not to mention the convenience of the exhaust brake coming down a mountain pass.

Jimalberta,

Do you manually shift down to 4th (or 3rd or 2nd if really steep) before descending? I think you will find that if you do you will seldom need to touch your service brakes. And it is ok to use them to slow, then let them cool while the exhaust brake does the work.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Having owned both a DP and several gassers, I think one thing folks need to think about when deciding is how much time will you spend driving it versus living in it. For us, "liveability" is a higher priority than "driveability", even though we do move about fairly often.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Ticat900: Here's another who full-timed for 16 years without the things you consider critical. Eight years was in a 33' 5th wheel with one slide. We loved it but took a big liking to Jeeping so we bought a new Jeep and 40' motorhome. In choosing the motorhome, for us, the 40' handled much better than a 36 or 38' because of its wheelbase. That was the only reason we chose the 40'. We always thought it was too big for us.

We boondock or dry camp a lot and much is done in wooded areas. We purposely chose the floorplan with only two slides so we could fit between trees better.

Since we boondock our heat source was an excellent propane catalytic heater - very efficient.

We definitely didn't want a washer/dryer because we like to do it all every two weeks and have it done in 1-1/2 hours. Also, it doesn't fit well with boondocking.

A big T.V.? We never watch t.v. We're always outside or read ingor listening to music.

A freezer in the basement? Stores are always closeby. Again, we boondock.

These are just some of your 'needed' items that we purposely didn't order because they weren't needed by us.

As it turned out, we sold our motorhome this past week - within a month - to a couple who have full-timed for five years. I guess they didn't 'need' all those extras either.

Going to an extreme - we know a couple who happily full-time in their converted van.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Guest ticat900

Ticat900: Here's another who full-timed for 16 years without the things you consider critical. Eight years was in a 33' 5th wheel with one slide. We loved it but took a big liking to Jeeping so we bought a new Jeep and 40' motorhome. In choosing the motorhome, for us, the 40' handled much better than a 36 or 38' because of its wheelbase. That was the only reason we chose the 40'. We always thought it was too big for us.

We boondock or dry camp a lot and much is done in wooded areas. We purposely chose the floorplan with only two slides so we could fit between trees better.

Since we boondock our heat source was an excellent propane catalytic heater - very efficient.

We definitely didn't want a washer/dryer because we like to do it all every two weeks and have it done in 1-1/2 hours. Also, it doesn't fit well with boondocking.

A big T.V.? We never watch t.v. We're always outside or read ingor listening to music.

A freezer in the basement? Stores are always closeby. Again, we boondock.

These are just some of your 'needed' items that we purposely didn't order because they weren't needed by us.

As it turned out, we sold our motorhome this past week - within a month - to a couple who have full-timed for five years. I guess they didn't 'need' all those extras either.

Going to an extreme - we know a couple who happily full-time in their converted van.

sorry I don't understand your post

These people asked for ideas about what to look for in a Motorhome.I simply suggested the things that we enjoy. You don't watch TV? so what maybe these people do and I sure do

You boondock most of the time? most people don't so of course a washer/dryer is useless to you.We happen to wash clothes an average of a hour per day

How could stores be close by if you boondock? I like the freezer for buying bargains at stores and not having to run to the store every few hours so the freezer is great for me.I have saved the cost of the freezer buying specials the last 7 years

Again I say these were suggestions that I feel will make them more comfortable. people kill me that have never had any of the stuff I suggest and then tell me how wrong I am to suggest others may also want or need theses things.

I never ever said any of this stuff is "CRITICAL" just makes long term living in a MH More enjoyable

Guest ticat900

I have owned plenty of dishwashers and they were great when we were raising four kids; we just don't see the need for one now. We've added many things to our MH but that simply isn't something we feel the need for.

You espouse the concept of "to each his own" and then you imply that other people would like what you recommend if they would only try it. It doesn't matter to me whether people have dishwasher, combos or none of the above. Some people say they enjoy sitting around laundromats talking to people. It has no appeal to me but if that's what floats your boat why should I say that if they only tried having a washer/dryer they would love it.

Iam not implying anything. this guy asked what others thought was nice to have when buying a motor home.I made several suggestions and one is the dishwasher.Its real nice,.easy and convenient. you don't have or want one so be it.It has noting to do with the Op and what he asked.They can decide.

No one said it should matter to you what other people have.Its got nothing to do with what you like or dislike about what I suggested as nice options when buying a MH

you make your suggestions and I shall make mine. I have no idea what lifestyle these people want to live while MHing??

your style or mine. If yours then perhaps they don't need any of the stuff that makes my MHing winters wonderfull and maybe they will like the no frills boonstick style MHing life you so enjoy?

To each their own

If yours then perhaps they don't need any of the stuff that makes my MHing winters wonderfull and maybe they will like the no frills boonstick style MHing life you so enjoy?

To each their own

Not to belabor this, but anyone who knows us would laugh if you said we were the kind of RVers who enjoyed the no-frills MH lifestyle. We're absolutely the last people you would find boondocking. You continue to totally misinterpret my comments. You provided a list of MH amenities which were important to you. You seem to find it difficult to understand that other people who want an equally luxurious lifestyle would not want those same things.

My wife and I have an extremely well-appointed MH with lots of fancy "stuff" that we wanted. We never boondock and don't at all think of ourselves as roughing it. Our collection of kitchen appliances, cookware and dinnerware would be judged to be excessive by many.

You and us don't have differences in RV "lifestyle" we simply have differences in what we think is necessary to achieve an elegant one. Accept the fact that yours is not the only path to that lifestyle.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

This post makes my point very well. Assuming that he is correct, if you can't afford to buy and maintain a diesel pusher, then you should just forget about ever being a fulltime RVer! :angry:

There is no such thing as a DP snob. LOL. I said earlier guess I've been doing it all wrong for the last 3 + years. Hope people don't read threads like this and think if they can't afford a DP they can't go fulltime. You fulltime in what you want to spend. It could be a tent or anything else including a DP. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a zillion amenities. I'm sure some of those things would be nice to have but somehow we are making it without.

Jeff :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Guest ticat900

Not to belabor this, but anyone who knows us would laugh if you said we were the kind of RVers who enjoyed the no-frills MH lifestyle. We're absolutely the last people you would find boondocking. You continue to totally misinterpret my comments. You provided a list of MH amenities which were important to you. You seem to find it difficult to understand that other people who want an equally luxurious lifestyle would not want those same things.

My wife and I have an extremely well-appointed MH with lots of fancy "stuff" that we wanted. We never boondock and don't at all think of ourselves as roughing it. Our collection of kitchen appliances, cookware and dinnerware would be judged to be excessive by many.

You and us don't have differences in RV "lifestyle" we simply have differences in what we think is necessary to achieve an elegant one. Accept the fact that yours is not the only path to that lifestyle.

your right you are beleagering this deal.I mixed up u and another about boondocking and I apologize for that. you sir also continue to misrepresent my comments also?

Iam not into elegance at all.I just think if you want a fairly warm, cozy and well anointed DP MH one needs things like a Big TV,dishwasher, tile and hardwood floors,built in vac systems,basement freezer,KING bed, electric flush toilit, storage slide outs, tiled entrance, computer/office space,aquahot etc etc of which I could care less if another person likes it or not.AGAIN the OP asked for SUGGESTIONS and these are some of my must haves.I never suggested everyone has to have or needs any of this stuff to get by like you and others

I have all this stuff at home and simply enjoy having my MH set up the same way.you only live once

Guest ticat900

There is no such thing as a DP snob. LOL. I said earlier guess I've been doing it all wrong for the last 3 + years. Hope people don't read threads like this and think if they can't afford a DP they can't go fulltime. You fulltime in what you want to spend. It could be a tent or anything else including a DP. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a zillion amenities. I'm sure some of those things would be nice to have but somehow we are making it without.

actually my best friend has a 37XL Georgetown and I really like it.Its what he can afford. I was in it a few days ago and I installed a 46 inch Smart TV for him.I thought he was crazy but it actually fit a lot better than I thought it would. All you people forget what the OP asked here.The OP asked what others thought would be a great MH for them to join in the Living in a MH world . I suggested and stand by my choice that a DPMH is the way to go. NO its not the only way but its my opinion that its the best way to go.

You have a gasser and enjoy it and your happy so be it.Iam happy for you but tell the Op don't tell me

If yours then perhaps they don't need any of the stuff that makes my MHing winters wonderfull and maybe they will like the no frills boonstick style MHing life you so enjoy?

To each their own

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Guest ticat900

Accept the fact that yours is not the only path to that lifestyle.

I have to also suggest this same remark back to you and I never ever said or suggested mine was the only path. The OP asked for suggestions and I gave him/her a list of my must haves now its up to them to decide what they want or don't or what they can not afford or not you or me

But I always caution people who are in the gasser or DP mode with prospects at about the same costs (yes the DP will often be older) that they not test drive the DP as it will spoil them for the great ride. There is just no way a gasser can compare with the ride of the DP with air bags, etc., not to mention the convenience of the exhaust brake coming down a mountain pass.

Jimalberta,

Do you manually shift down to 4th (or 3rd or 2nd if really steep) before descending? I think you will find that if you do you will seldom need to touch your service brakes. And it is ok to use them to slow, then let them cool while the exhaust brake does the work.

Barb

Barb I must confess that as I have only owned this MH for a few months that I generally let the exhaust brake take over and it pulls the tranny down to fourth at least that is what is displayed. I havent manually put it down lower than that very much. I was thinking of possibly having the transmission reset so that it looks for second or third instead of fourth but can do it manually as well. I think my problem is that I expect to be able to descend as fast as everyone else but feel out of control half the time unless I'm using the service brakes.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Jim:

First thing to determine is whether you have an exhaust brake or a compression brake. With your Eagle I might expect a compression brake.

With exhaust brakes it's pretty common for them to be set to pull the transmission down to 2nd, but with compression brakes I believe the more common setting is 4th as you say yours is currently set to. My compression brake takes my transmission to 4th and I have 2-stage control over how much power is applied to stopping. As Barbara says, with appropriate management of the compression brake and manually downshifting the transmission on steep grades, I barely have to apply my service brakes.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

actually my best friend has a 37XL Georgetown and I really like it.Its what he can afford. I was in it a few days ago and I installed a 46 inch Smart TV for him.I thought he was crazy but it actually fit a lot better than I thought it would. All you people forget what the OP asked here.The OP asked what others thought would be a great MH for them to join in the Living in a MH world . I suggested and stand by my choice that a DPMH is the way to go. NO its not the only way but its my opinion that its the best way to go.

You have a gasser and enjoy it and your happy so be it.Iam happy for you but tell the Op don't tell me

My previous comment wasn't pointed directly at you. If I could afford a DP I still would not own one. I'd have something like this.

http://renegaderv.com/

I just don't want to be a bus driver. My choice.

Funny I have a friend that has a Georgetown XL also. First time his wife drove it she cut a corner too close and put a crease down the whole right side. She had driven their 29' class A many times. Oops.

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Guest ticat900

My previous comment wasn't pointed directly at you. If I could afford a DP I still would not own one. I'd have something like this.

http://renegaderv.com/

I just don't want to be a bus driver. My choice.

Funny I have a friend that has a Georgetown XL also. First time his wife drove it she cut a corner too close and put a crease down the whole right side. She had driven their 29' class A many times. Oops.

I admit those super C units are very nice indeed.I actually laugh at the HOA association in the resort I live in as as they don't allow them here. A class only

theses super C units are as nice or nicer than lots of A units in here

The only thing I'm not sure about is the ability of a gas engine to hold back a MH on a mountain descent. I have never driven one so have been curious about this one issue on gassers. My exhaust brake works ok but I am still into the service brakes on long grades so IMHO a 2 stage jake is a very nice feature on a 40 ft or more diesel pusher.

Your point is a valid one but not a significant problem.. I have driven a 36' gas motorhome over most of the roads that RVs commonly travel and while the driving technique is different, it is very easy to manage. The compression brake of the diesel was invented because without that the diesel lacks the engine compression to hold back a heavy load as the gas engine can. Having driven both, I do believe that the better compression brakes do have a small advantage over using engine compression via downshifting the transmission, but both work and can be done safely. Also remember that gasoline powered RVs do not come in the lengths or weights which the 40' pushers have. I don't know of any gas chassis with a GVWR of more than 26K.

There used to be a company that built an aftermarket, dynamic braking system for a gasoline rig that put an armature on the drive line and a field around it which could be supplied power to provide drag to the load. They were expensive but also very effective. I never drove a rig with one of them but did meet an owner who loved his.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Barb I must confess that as I have only owned this MH for a few months that I generally let the exhaust brake take over and it pulls the tranny down to fourth at least that is what is displayed. I havent manually put it down lower than that very much. I was thinking of possibly having the transmission reset so that it looks for second or third instead of fourth but can do it manually as well. I think my problem is that I expect to be able to descend as fast as everyone else but feel out of control half the time unless I'm using the service brakes.

Don't worry about everyone else whizzing past you. You go at the speed that you feel comfortable with - it doesn't matter who makes it to the bottom first, no one is down there handing out prizes. We normally go down in 4th on Interstates (~ 40-45 mph) if the grade is around 6%. A little steeper and we will downshift to third (and speed down to ~ 35 mph). And it is ok to use the service brakes at times, especially if the road is curvy, or some idiot had to get around you and then decides they are going to fast and slams on their brake - you will be happy that you are going slow. :lol: Just make sure you service brakes have time to cool between uses. Remember that big engine & transmissions are your friends.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Don't worry about everyone else whizzing past you. You go at the speed that you feel comfortable with - it doesn't matter who makes it to the bottom first, no one is down there handing out prizes. We normally go down in 4th on Interstates (~ 40-45 mph) if the grade is around 6%. A little steeper and we will downshift to third (and speed down to ~ 35 mph). And it is ok to use the service brakes at times, especially if the road is curvy, or some idiot had to get around you and then decides they are going to fast and slams on their brake - you will be happy that you are going slow. :lol: Just make sure you service brakes have time to cool between uses. Remember that big engine & transmissions are your friends.

Barb

The retired trucker who taught my CDL course used to like this old trucker's maxim:

"I can go down a hill too slowly many times, but I can only go down it too fast once!"

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Hi All

I believe coaches with either the compression brake or the exhaust brake can have their transmission set to either 4th or 2nd gear upon activation.

I have had both (compression now) and they would all drop to 2nd gear which I like.

I also agree with Barb an others about 40-45 MPH on the downgrade. I seldom use my service brakes, even on 6%ers at these speeds.

Dave O

Joel, its an exhaust brake. The compression brake was an option on the ISL in 2001 but mine does not have it. I wish.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The "exhaust brake preselect" on an Allison 3000 series transmission can be turned off or set to any gear. What then happens is that when you have the exhaust brake activated (dash switch on) and then remove your foot from the throttle (throttle switch activated) the exhaust valve closes and the transmission attempts to shift to the gear you have programmed into the preselect. If that would result in too high an engine speed the lowest safe gear is selected initially and as your speed/RPM drop the transmission will continue downshifting until your preselect gear is reached.

The preselect is really nice to have for an unskilled driver as it provides the maximum possible amount of exhaust braking possible with minimal driver interaction. As you become more skilled and acclimated to your vehicle you may well find the preselect is a big pain in the neck.

A pain, why? A skilled driver will approach a hill in a safe gear but as they descend the hill they will want to control the vehicle speed with the throttle (on flatter sections) and by coasting or using the exhaust brake (on steeper sections) while keeping the transmission in a gear that keeps the RPM at a safe level and provides the needed braking when the exhaust brake valve is closed. With the preselect the transmission will downshift to or towards the preselected every time your speed drops to a point that the shift won't exceed the safe RPM limit of your engine. That can result in a LOT of gear changing and is hard on the transmission, enough of it can even get the Allison fluid and your coolant temp to start climbing to unsafe levels. It also makes it very difficult to control your speed as the braking level changes a lot as the gear changes. Without the preselect the driver is in control of the selected gear so they can approach the hill in 4th and on the throttle, back off until they are coasting or lift their foot completelt to activate the exhaust brake. Feathering the exhaust brake on and off to control the speed - with no automatic downshifting. You can descend the hill with only the single shift at the top and again at the bottom of the hill, if you need third or even second you must use the shift panel to make the change.

The preselect needs the Allison programmer to change it so it usually costs 1/2 shop hour. Best to research all your optional Allison settings and get them changed in a single batch. Also ask for a configuration printout if the programmer has one available so you'll know what they are set to.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the ability of a gas engine to hold back a MH on a mountain descent. I have never driven one so have been curious about this one issue on gassers. My exhaust brake works ok but I am still into the service brakes on long grades so IMHO a 2 stage jake is a very nice feature on a 40 ft or more diesel pusher.

I'm not certain when Tow/Haul was introduced on the F-53 gas chassis but I do know it was on both my 2011 and 2014. I have found that even on descents in the Rockies, Tow/Haul virtually eliminates the need for use of the service brakes and manually downshifting.

I'm not certain when Tow/Haul was introduced on the F-53 gas chassis but I do know it was on both my 2011 and 2014. I have found that even on descents in the Rockies, Tow/Haul virtually eliminates the need for use of the service brakes and manually downshifting.

We didn't have it on our 99 chassis, the first of the V-10 series F-53's. As nice as tow/haul is, it really only requires a little bit of practice and good judgment to manage without it. Like so many improvements over the years, we didn't know we needed them until we owned one, then the item becomes a requirement!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived