Zoning Violations

Watercolorist

Dear drifting,

Excellent ideas. Thanks.

I might do all that if I don't sell the lot, but I'm really hoping to just get rid of it, so I probably won't.

I have some influential friends in the county who are looking into this situation further. I'll post whatever I find out on this forum.

In the meantime, none of this really affects me until April (when I normally would go back to the lot), because I always leave for the winter anyway. I'm in Quartzsite enjoying the nice weather while my nasty neighbors are freezing their rearends off!

I don't know about iowa, but some state constitutions allow for a local "Zoning Board of Appeals" that is empowered to grant exceptions to zoning regulations. Typically, it is a personal presentation and appeal. Not uncommon to have to pay a processing fee of about $300 or so. Decisions are immediate.

You might check that out.

Good Luck

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

This may be a way to address your problem: First, if it is for rent, then you can deduct expenses like taxes from your income. The fact that you have no tenant is irrelevant, only that it is advertised & legitimately for rent.

(Understand, I'm not advocating the following-)

A person in such a situation could go to a local farmer, like the one who owns the grain field and offer to rent it to him for say $500/yr. He gives you a check, which is a write off for him. You then give him $500 cash. Presto, the land is rented, and the costs are deductible to you like taxes. Farmer either plants it or doesn't, either way the maintenance is his. He could decide to let it lie fallow, and not even mow it. You stay in Texas. That sound like a plan?

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

We used to rent most of our farm to a local farmer who would graze his cattle there for the winter. $100 per head. He could put 150 head of cattle out there and in early spring a bunch of the cows would have calves. We didn't have to do anything... just listen to 'em moo.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys,

I thought those of you who were gracious to respond might like to know how this story ended. Well, it's a very happy ending! (For me, the new owners, and my new realtor, but NOT for my nasty neighbors - read below) :) I sold the lot in September for very near the price I was asking.

Here's how it went: I went back to the lot in May, and checked in with the Tama county bureaucrat (he requested that I do so if or when I returned) that I was dealing with all along, and told him that I was back on the lot and there to maintain it and sell it. He said I could stay for thirty days, but then I would have to be gone, sold or not. So, I did as requested when the time expired and moved my rig to a friend's acreage just down the road. In the meantime, I switched to another realtor, and she sold it within three weeks to a couple in the small town near the lot, people I already knew. They love the lot and have already put up a garage/workshop, and will build a large house next year. I told them exactly what happened with the neighbors, so they know all about it. They don't seem to care, in fact, they said they might even build a high fence along the common border.

Regarding the nasty neighbors who had me thrown off the land, my realtor said that they were texting back and forth during those three weeks, I assume intending to buy it, and then the land sold out from under them. I have no idea what they were offering and don't care. But I do know that they have since tried to buy the large, empty, one acre lot between them and another neighbor who happen to be very sweet people and are friends of mine. Of course, they know what happened, too, and refuse to sell it to them. They even quoted a very high price to put them off. They told me that there's no way they are going to sell them that land for what they did to me.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

Lee

I'd suggest working calmly with the zoning dept. and clarifying if you have to keep the grass cut and maintained. You state there's a grain field nearby and since the lots are large, are they all kept mowed during the summer? Is it a requirement? If it is a requirement, perhaps you can contract with someone who has a big mower who can whip it out in no time perhaps 2-3 times a summer. The cost might offset your fuel up there each summer.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived