We are off the road for a spell....

TXiceman

Well, we are residents of Knoxville, TN and our trip is on indefinite hold.

After clearing Knoxville this morning, the truck had something in the engine let go. Started ticking first and before I could get it shut down on the shoulder it was running rough and rattling. GS ERs got us towed in a timely manner to an RV park and the truck to a Ford shop.

They listened to it briefly and said it did not sound good would have to pull the pan and see what failed. Pretty sure this is a result of the damage from the 5 gallon bucket hitting the filter last week. The Progressive adjuster does want to listen to the engine himself, before the oil pan is dropped.

So now we wait to see what happens next and hope it does not wind up in a pissing contest with the insurance company wanting the cheapest way out rather than a proper fix.

Ford said a new crate engine was $13K to $14K when they can get one.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We have been in Walland, TN on the quiet side of the Smokys for the past week. I guess with the rental car we will head on over to Cherokee, NC and check more out in that area.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Well, the engine is history....threw a rod. After some fussing/negotiating, we are getting a new crate drop-in engine from Ford. So we get to do another couple of weeks here sightseeing.

Ken

Well, the engine is history....threw a rod. After some fussing/negotiating, we are getting a new crate drop-in engine from Ford. So we get to do another couple of weeks here sightseeing.

Ken

Sorry to hear that...finding the time or place to ride your recumbents?

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

I hope we can find a place here flat enough for us flat-landers here in Knoxville area. The RV campsite we are in is certainly not a 4 star place and really hilly.

Ken

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully, you will be able to get back to your lifestyle soon. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Ken,

Glad you didn't have a hard time getting the warranty/insurance done! I like the idea of a new engine too. And lucky you weren't in a remote part of the Yukon or desert when it broke the rod.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Sounds like you have good coverage on your truck. Was that insurance or an ext. warranty service. Enjoy your stay.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

We just got approval from Progressive for the complete new engine. The Progressive insurance was from the fellow driving the truck that dropped the bucket that caused all of this.

I think one thing that helped was the Ford shop is a partner and claim inspection station with Progressive.

Ken

Might be but a manufacturer's warranty usually doesn't cover damage caused by running over a bucket.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Original incident here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=113292

On I-285 at Norcross, GA, a pickup had a 5 gallon plasticbucket (full of a soap) come off the tailgate and land on the road. It was one lane to our left and as we slowed down and started to pass it, it roll in front of us. Wham it hit under the truck and the oil pressure alarm went off....beep...beep and the idiot light came on.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The bucket was full of a disinfectant soap. The driver that dropped the bucket stopped just ahead of where I got pulled off. The bucket hit the oil filter and bent it enough that it lost the seal and blew oil everywhere an immediately lost oil pressure. So his insurance is paying for the repairs. He was a lane to my left and the traffic was dodging it and I had slowed down but could not change lanes. In any case it rolled over infront of me as I got close and the only thing to do was to take the hit. I was hoping it was empty, but it was not

I got the truck to a Ford dealer to be checked and it had thrown a rod and trashed the turbo. Ford said to maintain the balance of the factory warranty it had to be a Ford approved repair. It would also continue the extended warranty. Ford does not have any remanufactured 6.7L engines and I would not accept one anyway. The truck only had 23,000 miles.

Glad you're getting a new engine. You deserve it, because Ford is stupid for putting the oil filter anyplace it could get hit by road debris (the filter on my Dodge Ram, for instance, is high on the engine block up by the firewall and brake master cylinder). Really, Ford should be paying for the new engine, not the insurance company. :o

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

I have to agree on the placement of the oil filter. They should have provided a skid plate as a minimum.

Ken

All is well that ends well, but of course you are still out the lost time as no insurance can refund that or the effects of the stress from it all. But it is good to hear that the insurance companies have done as they promised. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

We have over 1500 miles on the new engine and it is running fine. Lance Cunningham Ford in Knoxville, TN did a great job and kept me appraised of progress. Looks like it came from the factory.

So far it seems to be getting better fuel economy than the original engine. The original engine had 23,000 miles on it and it was starting to run better and fuel economy was moving up slightly. So far, I am doing better with the new engine and hope to see improvement.

Ken

Archived