Freightliner dash strobbing

chrisastream

I started my class A diesel pusher up on Saturday, lifted jacks, suspension activated, let run for approx. 30 minutes and then turned off, released suspension air, put jacks back down and leveled. Everything seemed fine. Tuesday the dash was strobing without the engine on.Tried to start engine and there is no power to start, strobe continues.

Called Freightliner, said computer needs to be reset. Tried to direct us to proper location and said pin connectors #10 and #24 to remove, wait and then reconnect to reset. Did not work, still strobing.

By the way, when I first turned key one notch the front jacks came up without me starting the engine. Back jacks stayed down until I turned the power for the jacks on and brought them up.

Christine SKP 87376

Lots of HUGS

Could be a stuck relay. The relays are often with the chassis fuses. I had a similar issue a few years back and changed the positions of the 3 identical relays to fix it.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Does it seem to be getting a good voltage from the batteries. The last time my coach gave problems starting I had really bad connections on my battery terminals. Cleaning them up properly fixed the problem temporarily. Replacing some terminals and cleaning completely solved the problem on a permanent basis.

On another comment, I have been told that starting my coach in the manner you did then stopping it 1/2 hour later is quite bad for the engine. The experts tell me the coach should be run a few miles to ensure the engine is up to operating temps and the oil has circulated well before stopping it. Just letting you know what I have been told. I am by no means one of those experts.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

The usual recommendation for running any vehicle is to run it long enough that it gets up to operating temperature. It is really better to do that by driving around as that exercises more than just the motor. Starting and stopping before the engine is fully warm can lead to cylinder wear due to fuel washing off the oil on the walls.

If you can't get the computer to reset by jumping pins and it is getting the proper voltages you might try disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes and see if that clears up anything.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have had my dash strobe on a few occasions and all I did was turn the key to the on position and back off again. I did not try to start the engine. So far I have not had any problems starting the engine, CAT 3126E in a Freightliner. I would love to know what causes it.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Archived