West Coast Rally - Who is Interested?

Chad Heiser

Jim, I didn't grow up here. My mother and siblings moved here in 1966, right after I graduated, but I've only been here for 25 years. No matter my distaste for the State of California (and I'm in Northern California ... and I don't mean Sacramento or SF), let's talk about having a rally, or a get together, or a meet-up, whatever we decide to call it, and let's bring some cheer into the poor deluded lives of the Californians rather than rehash all the bad things about the state?

I agree. Sorry for the rant. We old fartz can do that some times. :rolleyes:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be interested in attending. Having lived in California for 55 years a note about the weather.

If you are considering January or February (as mentioned above), some parts of "coastal" California have "acceptable" weather but nowhere will have good weather. Close to the ocean will mostly be overcast, foggy and damp. Nowhere along the coast will really be that great. In addition, it could be a real challenge to get a park with big enough spaces which is close to the ocean.

For ease of driving, I would think one would be limited to north of the Los Angeles basin and excluding the area around San Francisco and the east bay. The desert areas will have good weather in January and February but they are on the south end of the state so that makes for longer travel for everyone up north.

Walkerl

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

I was born and raised in Scal and left when I was 18 in 1964 and swore would never return to live and it was way better then!!! Now I used to visit when my parents was alive and I still have one high school friend I like to see when I can but not using the HDT. For the most part I avoid California even though it is a gorgeous State there is no doubt. I will attend if the timing is right but would be happier in say Nevada. Bottom I will do my best to attend no matter the West location. Heck now Arizona is not good because of fuel taxes but still better than California.

Thanks for trying to get this going!!! :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

I agree. Sorry for the rant. We old fartz can do that some times. :rolleyes:

Don't worry. I've been known to enter into a rant more than is comfortable for myself or for those who have to listen.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Maybe up in central Washington to make it easy on the folks from the far north to join in? I recall a nice fairgrounds in Linden, WA (just north of Bellingham) that had a lot of nice RV hookups.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Northwest+Washington+Fair/@48.937182,-122.476991,714m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x5485b7732a5aebe1:0xfab32573921b9d7e

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Guest Lostinaz

Wenatchee...Confluence State Park at the end of September.

Make the date allowing enough time for those that want to go to Hutchinson to be able to have a leisurely trip down there after the first get together. You would have more participation that way.

Maybe up in central Washington to make it easy on the folks from the far north to join in? I recall a nice fairgrounds in Linden, WA (just north of Bellingham) that had a lot of nice RV hookups.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Northwest+Washington+Fair/@48.937182,-122.476991,714m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x5485b7732a5aebe1:0xfab32573921b9d7e

Now I might even be interested. But it does get pretty cold in january up there. Things usually start to green up a bit in march or so, and the days are long enough by that time to enjoy some outdoor activities. The Spokane area is huge and has pretty much every store of any kind that anyone would need for repairs or supplies. Linden is not too far from Spokane. Not sure of the elevation, but some paces can get up to about 4,000' above sea level. They plant corn the first week in april around Moses Lake, so late march or so should keep any icy roads or frozen piping issues away. IMO. It would be a direct route for those from Canada.

I dunno. I'd like to go to a rally or fun weekend get together some day.

I'm a work'n on it.

Howdy All,

As one who lives about 50 miles northeast of seattle ( kalifornia mindset with rain) I would love to attend a western rally. I would be up for going to California if the rally were held as far away from the southern California big cities as possible, last time I was down there the local meth heads broke into my ruck and ripped me off big time, then a couple of misguided childern drove a car into the back of my truck, so sorry folks but I am not to thrilled about the so called civilized parts of California.

For many years I have been spending a couple of weeks during the winter in the Death Valley area just to escape the gloom of the Nor-Wet once the rains kick in which they are now starting to do. One of the members mentioned holding a rally here in Washington, that would be OK to do on the west side of the Cascades during our 90 day period of dependable dry weather, late June to early September, the west side of the Cascades is hotter then heck in the summer and colder then heck in the winter so weather wise time frame would be a real important consideration if the rally were held anywhere here in the Nor-Wet.

I agree there is a lot of wonderful places to go and things to see in California, just to bad its turned into such a pit politically and in many ways socially. Sorry for the rant but it bothers me what is happening to California in particular and much of the southwestern part of our country, don't even get me started about not being able to use much of Pipe Organ National Park because its closed off due to gun and drug running which our government seems not to care about. :angry:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

There is the NW Washington Fair in Lynden Wash, late August, 19th is, I think. A hoot for all. Kinda like the movie State Fair in the last millennium. Pat boon, Shirley Jones etc. KOA is close by, plus others I imagine. Also a truck repair facility in the area if needed.

Abbotsford Air show end 1st week August in Abbotsford, just north of Lynden. On site boondocking there plus Rv campsites in the area.

I'm in Victoria for now and it can get just as cold here as the panhandle of Florida. The temps aren't the problem, it's the humidity. Water sucks heat from the body 25X faster than dry air.

There are or were sandcastle building contests and kite flying festivals in the area...that was some time ago.

Guest Lostinaz

Howdy, Dave-

I guess we have the same opinion of California.

That's what happens when it gets so crowded.

Like rats in a cage.

Anyway, I just saw where you said you live 50 miles north east of Seattle.

I was in Wenatchee for 10 days last month.

I guess I was just over Stevens Pass from you.

Howdy, Dave-

I guess we have the same opinion of California.

That's what happens when it gets so crowded.

Like rats in a cage.

Anyway, I just saw where you said you live 50 miles north east of Seattle.

I was in Wenatchee for 10 days last month.

I guess I was just over Stevens Pass from you.

Howdy Lostinaz,

I hate to sound like a wet blanket but some things just get to me, gettin old I guess.

Yes you were about 120 miles from my home, give a holler next time your in the area, I live a couple miles from a little old logging town called Granite Falls.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Yes Roger, WE are getting old and it was Pat Boone, Bobby Darin and Ann-Margret, not Shirley Jones. Shirley Jones was too much of a goody two-shoes.. Pamela Tiffin was also in it. If I don't make these little corrections as they come up, my mind will gradually become someone else's and then I won't be any good at all at Jeopardy.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Howdy Lostinaz,

I hate to sound like a wet blanket but some things just get to me, gettin old I guess.

Yes you were about 120 miles from my home, give a holler next time your in the area, I live a couple miles from a little old logging town called Granite Falls.

Dave

Thought that freightliner looked familiar. We are located in Monroe. MrSea bought our 780

2005 Charleston 400TS Diesel Pusher
RV there yet?

Glad to see we are getting some interest. I spent a long weekend at the coast and had no internet connection, so I wasn't able to monitor while I was gone. Now that I am home and back to work (I really wish retirement would get here sooner ;) ) , I can stay more up to date. We are really in the very early planning stages at this point (nothing has been done other than float the idea :D ). Realistically, if I am going to host this it will have to be somewhat near where I live (since I am still working) so that I can put some effort into making it an event worth attending. I have some ideas, but I am no expert when it comes to hosting a rally. Scott (MrSeas) and Carl (SuiteSuccess) will definitely be getting bugged by me in the near future (after the National rally) for some help in pointing me in the right direction.

At a minimum I would like to scout a location ahead of time to make sure it will be accommodating to our type of set up and to a rally/get together in general (large sites, gathering/meeting areas, easy access, reasonable cost, etc). I'd also like it to be in an area that isn't isolated too much so there are things to do that may attract a broader crowd (if DW ain't happy then nobody's going to be happy :P ). It should also be somewhat centrally located for the West Coast. I think it should be good for HDT'ers and HDT wannabees. It may start small, but there are enough of us in the West now that we should be able to get something going and let it grow as the other rallies have.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Once the national rally is over, I will talk to MrSeas in earnest about getting this going. We will let everyone know what we come up with.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Never going to find a destination that will suit everyone, but if it is in Nevada in August, I can say for sure that we WON'T make it :(

I would vote for Quartzsite in January, however I realize a lot of people don't like Quartzsite.

Do your best Chad

Good luck!

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Archived