$1000 fine for fueling at the wrong pump

10ponies

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't like paying more than my fair share. Treat RVers like commercial truckers when they do not put on as many miles or as much road damage? Not right.

We we should pay more...how about something like 2 cents more, not 8 cents more. And why not hit the gasoline RVers as well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I cannot help it i have been known to knock down wasp nest with sticks too!!! :rolleyes: I read a link just today that reviewed all States fuel taxes. What they did isi strip out the Fed tax so only the State tax remained though there is still probably county or city taxes left on them. So here I hit the wasp nest, Texas tax was 20 cents and Arizona's was 19 cents!!!! :blink: I just could not resist l really couldn't :DB)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Guest Lostinaz

Yeah, but for a "use fuel" vehicle in Arizona, i.e. a commercial vehicle> 26,000 lbs., you have to add an extra 8 cents.

What blows bad is California's and New York's rates-so much higher than other states. Wow.

No one has said they cannot afford the fuel, but your pomposity is noted...

Okay, I deserved that. I made my post when I was tired. Worked close to 100 hours in the past week.

But, this thread is now on the sixth page, discussing something that won't cost many of us much in the grand scheme of things.

I suggest we look at something to talk about which might actually save us some real dollars. Like perhaps finding an insurance company who understands our rigs, and like to see a mass exodus to them.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So here I hit the wasp nest, Texas tax was 20 cents and Arizona's was 19 cents!!!! :blink: I just could not resist l really couldn't :DB)

Bob, once again, I couldn't care less what the tax rate is. I will pay whatever it is. My issue is being charged EXTRA, ie: more than EVERYONE ELSE that is driving a personal (not commercial) vehicle simply because I have a large RV.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I agree with Big5er and others on this but I also don't like the fact that I can't just buy fuel. In some of the small towns and other places I have stayed finding a high tax station is just one more problem. I will only purchase AZ fuel when I absolutely need to from now on. I generally carry enough to get back out of the state. This whole diesel fuel thing and a special group to enforce it.... Well I will just stop complaining now.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

You are not being charged extra based on being an RV you are being charge extra because (or not being given a discount) because a 26,000# vehicle does more damage to the road bed than a 10,000# pickup truck. Someone had to draw a line somewhere to reward those who selected a diesel engine option to save fuel and arguably reduced air pollution. By your standard, a diesel powered 4 door Mercedes should pay the same as an 18-wheeler and in most cities they do. In AZ there was a tax reduction (or addition if you like) put in place to reward users and encourage diesel use as a fuel in smaller vehicles. It may or may not have been a good idea and it may or may not have worked but it's a reality and if you want the law changed (yes, it's the law) you should move to AZ and vote the legislators out. Why is no one offended by the much higher taxes in other states or the 0.30 gallon added tax on all non-commercial diesel users in OR!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

You are not being charged extra based on being an RV you are being charge extra because (or not being given a discount) because a 26,000# vehicle does more damage to the road bed than a 10,000# pickup truck. Someone had to draw a line somewhere to reward those who selected a diesel engine option to save fuel and arguably reduced air pollution. By your standard, a diesel powered 4 door Mercedes should pay the same as an 18-wheeler and in most cities they do. In AZ there was a tax reduction (or addition if you like) put in place to reward users and encourage diesel use as a fuel in smaller vehicles. It may or may not have been a good idea and it may or may not have worked but it's a reality and if you want the law changed (yes, it's the law) you should move to AZ and vote the legislators out. Why is no one offended by the much higher taxes in other states or the 0.30 gallon added tax on all non-commercial diesel users in OR!

Bill,

Having driven Commercial rigs in Oregon I can tell you that the lower Rte AT THE PUMP for Commercial is not the whole story. ALL Commercial rigs are required to BUY A PERMIT for traveling through Oregon. The permit includes the fuel tax for the route through the state that they will be traveling. So a Commercial rig can drive through the state without buying any fuel and will still have payed the Fuel Tax for the number of gallons the State has figured it would burn to make the trip. No free ride there.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Bill, you and I have already argued the discrepancies in your road damage theory. I won't bother to repeat them, since all you do is repeat the same old rhetoric. And, no, by my standard any PERSONAL vehicle (ie your 4 door Mercedes) should pay the same as every other PERSONAL vehicle, not the same as a COMMERCIAL vehicle that puts 10 times the number of miles on the road as any PERSONAL vehicle. (That is the issue that you can;t seem to grasp). Also, my PERSONAL vehicle does not weigh 26,001 lbs. It has a GVWR of more than that, but it does not weigh that, so how is that fair? How does that figure into your road damage argument?

As I have also mentioned, I have no need to change Arizona's law. I am more than capable of by-passing every fuel station in their entire state. You seem to forget previous statements that don't fit your way of thinking. Why is that?

2014 smart Fortwo

As many of us have said they can have a lot of nothing. I will buy my fuel somewhere else. The theory most states use is a heavy vehicle uses more fuel per mile and already pays more. AZ has decided to make a confusing law and even hire a special group to enforce it. A year ago when I called the number to report violations to ask about this even the enforcement officer couldn't figure it out.

Randy

Bill, you and I have already argued the discrepancies in your road damage theory. I won't bother to repeat them, since all you do is repeat the same old rhetoric. And, no, by my standard any PERSONAL vehicle (ie your 4 door Mercedes) should pay the same as every other PERSONAL vehicle, not the same as a COMMERCIAL vehicle that puts 10 times the number of miles on the road as any PERSONAL vehicle. (That is the issue that you can;t seem to grasp). Also, my PERSONAL vehicle does not weigh 26,001 lbs. It has a GVWR of more than that, but it does not weigh that, so how is that fair? How does that figure into your road damage argument?

As I have also mentioned, I have no need to change Arizona's law. I am more than capable of by-passing every fuel station in their entire state. You seem to forget previous statements that don't fit your way of thinking. Why is that?

Just wanted to point out that the miles you drive doesn't matter. A commercial vehicle will buy more fuel and pay more taxes for those additional miles. Under your reasoning, a 27,000 pound box van will weigh less than you so he shouldn't have to pay the higher tax either, correct?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I

Under your reasoning, a 27,000 pound box van will weigh less than you so he shouldn't have to pay the higher tax either, correct?

What is it about what I say that you people do not get? Am I writing in a foreign language? I have said it many times. Is your box van example a PERSONAL VEHICLE? If so, then yes, I am saying he shouldn't have to pay the higher tax either. If it is a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE then no, that is not what I am saying. See the difference now? Red vs Blue?

Color me done with this thread. Wow, this is just amazing to me.

2014 smart Fortwo

I pull a home built flatbed 3 axle trailer behind a PU. When it is loaded it could be over 26,000 pounds. Empty less than 26,000. The GVW is not declared. When the trailer is on which fuel do I use? Empty or loaded. A year ago even the enforcement officials were not sure. In any case I am not taking chances. I will buy my fuel in another state. There is a special group just to enforce this law and a 24 hour number to report fuel purchased illegally. ADOT even advertises the number.

Randy

I

What is it about what I say that you people do not get? Am I writing in a foreign language? I have said it many times. Is your box van example a PERSONAL VEHICLE? If so, then yes, I am saying he shouldn't have to pay the higher tax either. If it is a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE then no, that is not what I am saying. See the difference now? Red vs Blue?

Color me done with this thread. Wow, this is just amazing to me.

So how exactly does a 30,000# commerical vehicle do more damage to the road bed than a 30,000# personal vehicle relieving the personal vehicle from paying the tax?

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

All this over a single incident?? Over a tax of .08?? $80 over 1k gallons really??

122 posts with boycott AZ, insults and the flexing of mighty keyboard muscles and all over .08?

If you like it don't buy fuel there or, move to AZ where you have a vote.

If you think AZ will miss your $$ I'd lay odds they won't notice it.

I have to say being a native AZ desert rat, I've seen what heat and all the weight of trucks do to the roads. If you drive a HDT or a bus sized RV you impact the roads period. A little logic would say that the tax is directly proportional to the miles driven. You drive from Phx to Flag and back it's 300 miles. The heavy vehicles impact the road the same for that 300 miles regardless of what they are.

All this ire over eight cents amazing

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

The eight cents seems to have taken over the original thousand dollar fine aspect of this topic. I'm not really concerned one way or the other about a few cents but that fine would put a real dent in my toy budget.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Bob, once again, I couldn't care less what the tax rate is. I will pay whatever it is. My issue is being charged EXTRA, ie: more than EVERYONE ELSE that is driving a personal (not commercial) vehicle simply because I have a large RV.

See I poked the nest and got stung like that never happened!!! B) AHHH in red and large print too, I was successful. :ph34r::D

I kind of agree lets what and see if the citation results in a fine and how much! <_<

Not to rob this thread but ion Arizona I need a full CDL including physical certificate. I started a week before it expired on 10/4/14 and I found out after my 3 artery heart bypass last December I needed and a medical release including echo cardiogram which i finally got scheduled for 10/17/14. I the mean time my COMMERCIAL license has been suspended and will be revoked by 10/27/14 unless I get this clearance from the cardiologist. No matter what will have to get it re-instated which has some minor fees to do. :angry:

Now that is a problem!!!! :( Don't respond to this, I don't want to even get started, it is merely an example of far more important stuff to ponder. :blink:

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Randy,

If the DOT guys think you are over 26,000 GCVW(pick up or not) truck and trailer. They walk up and ask you," what do you weigh". If you are over 26,000 pounds they are going to nail you for the fuel tax, no CDL, and possible over total gross for the truck. These guys worked the same truck stop for a least and hour and a half and they were still there when I left.

I have lived in AZ for 45 years and love the state. My purpose with this tread was to inform everyone what the law was and how it was getting enforced.

Looks like even with the extra tax Arizona is still a good place to fuel.

...If the DOT guys think you are over 26,000 GCVW(pick up or not) truck and trailer. They walk up and ask you," what do you weigh". If you are over 26,000 pounds they are going to nail you...

This section is not GCVW it is GVW. It says the tax applies to use fuel purchased when used for "propulsion of a use class MOTOR vehicle". It specifically defines a use class MOTOR vehicle as having a declared weight of over 26,000 or 3 or more axles. A pickup pulling a trailer of some type would never fall under this section unless the pickup was more than 2 axles or the pickup weighed over 26,000#. Every type vehicle referenced in the section is a MOTOR vehicle - no trailers and to be applicable that vehicle must be more than 2 axles or over 26,000#. In addition, a pickup pulling a trailer is not one vehicle - it is 2 vehicles.

" If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class MOTOR vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26¢ for each gallon. •A "use class motor vehicle" means a MOTOR vehicle that USES use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles."

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

Archived