Anyone else sell their furniture before you list the house?

Bentspoke

Since we are putting the house on the market in March, we will be selling some of the furniture now, but not all. This will help de-clutter and make the house look nicer. Also, in the San Francisco area, using a staging company can get a bit expensive. We know this because we used a staging co. when my siblings and I sold our parents home last year.

Enjoy the ride.

Scott

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Howdy!

We cleaned out the house gave the keys to the realtor and drove away. House sold in less than sixty days.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

House sold in one day, best part about it, new owners bought everything(as a side deal for personal property) we didn't want to keep. We only moved a bedroom set, secretaries desk, and a small round table, couple of end tables. I was really glad we did not have to move everything else.

2015 Montana Mountaineer 356TBF, 2013 3500 SRW Chevy Silverado, LWB, 4x4. We do it because we love it, not because we have to.

http://johnandjanicervadventures.blogspot.com/

I was torn but decided to keep the furniture because it 'stages' the house. I want the house to look lived in. After researching, houses sell better when people have an idea of how things fit in the house. We are selling every single thing we can beforehand, except most of the furniture.

Another thought I had was to wait til the house sells.....right before everything closes and a couple weeks before we turn over the keys, put the furniture up for sale and tell the people what's going on. Say you can have the furniture on a certain date. I also told the realtor when she's showing the house, tell the people everything they see is for sale. With luck, when they buy the house, they may want to buy the furniture.

Good luck!! May we all have fast easy sales!!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

We met with our realtor on Saturday. He said that he prefers houses to be empty so that rooms seem larger. Our rooms are large to begin with, so he said most people will have no problems visualizing how their furniture will fit. He also said that with the energy improvements we have made, our house should sell quickly. He also told us that our area is the hottest market in Charleston County, so we would should be able to get our asking price or very close to it.

We are putting it up on March 1. Keeping our fingers crossed that it sell and close by the time we head to Florida at the beginning of May to pick up our new home.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

As a RE Agent with 20+ year experience I like furniture to be in a home if the furniture is tasteful and compliments the house. You do need to clean, simplify and get the house ready to show. An empty home can look a little on the cold side. There is an old saying that decorating sells a house which is why Builder models have furniture.

Then there are people with worn out stuff and the house will show better vacant.

Our house goes on the market tomorrow with our first Open House this weekend. We've sold a lot of stuff just to de-clutter. I think a house needs to be 'staged'. Put the knick knacks away. Take almost everything off the counters. Dust. Clean. Turn on all the lights. I plan on lighting a candle. They say the smell of homemade cookies is a sure winner!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a single man, age 69, in good health, 3 grown sons and 7 grandkids. Live in a middle middle class subdivision in Grand Prairie, Tx Homes selling very quickly for near asking price. Nice Fox and Jacobs House built in '78, I bought from original owner in '09. My sons would be adamant about me not leaving, as is ST. Evagrius Ponticus..."Don't easily leave your home". I have lots of books and miscell stuff of family interest. But, the sons and ST don't have to live my boring life. My plan is to get a U-Haul rental stall, put family stuff in there, books, in plastic bins, give away most furniture, etc etc. Have lots of shelving I can put in the stall (btw it will be air-conditioned) to hold the stuff, in an organized fashion. The UHAUL place is 4 miles away, easy to do little by little until my Roll-Out on 5-1-15. I have 2 smaller cars I'll also store in a non a/c'd Stall in same complex. Set them up for long term storage with gas additive, slick 50 for oil, and rat posion underneath them to keep them out and not eating on wires, etc.

My rig is an '03 Ford F350, dually, deisel, crew cab, 128,000 miles, 8' bed with Lance cap. The rear area has been divided into upper and lower 8' halves. Lower for my carry stuff, upper for my 6 DOGS! YES! They love the carpeted rear and walk thru the windows into the cab. Foot area in rear covered over level with seat, so they have more room to stretch out, some come up front and help me drive! I store water bottles under that extended area. The walk thru from front seat to rear end is easy for them, they use the rear seat arm rest to hop up and down into the area. I've made the rear cap lifting-sliding windows crash resistant so they won't get easily tossed out in a wreck with heavy plastic coated chicken wire. I feed them individually, 1 at a time, from a bowl, as they don't share food well. They do share water holes easily, and I have 3 that are tied down and won't easily spill with traffic movements. They love travel and I've done this for 15 years! I keep their shot records in glove compartment. My Travel trailer is a '14 Microlite, 25' with small slide out and murphy bed. It's easy to handle in in all respects. The Kids love it too. I never leave them unattended except to go into a Wal Mart. I don't leave them back in the TT while I run out for whatever. I love reading and writing my books. I have 3 cell phones, on different networks, to be able to find something if anything is out there!

I'll leave my home empty and make it micro-cleaned! I know about staging but I don't want to mess with the stuff later when it sells. My plan is to live in Federal Parks, Corps of Engineers parks, and a few State Parks. I have a US Govt "Passport" Card that gives me free access to fed parks and 1/2 off nightly rentals.

I've done my medicals, blood profiles, etc to know if I'm sturdy enough. I'm making contact with Humane Societies nationwide to have their help in case I need it. As well as other SKP'rs. I'll stay in a park until we wear out our welcome, or a difficult neighbor wears mine out! I'm gonna put a Satellitie System on it when I get to Quartzite, Az, as well as solar panels and batteries in the bottom rear area of the pu. I've upgraded the 35gal tank to a 60 gal one. Costed about $1100. But well worth the peace of mind! Word of caution on this: make sure the installer does the new "venting of tank" right. Otherwise, the last 10 gallons will take 20 minutes to go in! I'M THE TYPE TO MICRO WORRY AND PLAN FOR MOST CONTINGENCIES, BUT THIS PAST PERSONAL TECHNIQUE HAS BECOME TOO BURDENSOME LATELY. Although at 69 and single, one would consider me foolish for heading out like this, I've ALWAYS HAD HELP WHEN I NEEDED IT! SO, I'M GONNA CONTINUE TO RELY ON WHAT I'VE SOWED OVER MY YEARS. Plus, the SKP network is always there!

Considering I had a 4 digit patient # at MD Anderson in 1950 for my age 4 lower cancerous spine, left breast removed at age 34, massive skin cancers due to sun as a kid, bladder/prostate/urethra removal age 46 back at MD Anderson (which got me retired), and that docs look at me as medical miracle with never needding chemo or radiation, I'M GOOD WITH CONTINUED RELIANCE ON WHAT ALL, WHO/WHOM AND WHATEVER HAS BRUNG ME THIS FAR; along with my supply of plastic bags from Liberty Medical! BTW, never smoked, drank, did drugs! DUH??

I admit I have some worries about this life plan, but reading the SKP Lady Founders' posts in each magazine, and trusting I deserve a few more helps as needed, I'm proceeding with my search for the one small plot of land that's out there somewhere, with water cachement/filtration, and a few good neighbors, and a Wal-Mart within 35 miles!

I have a few more diems to carpe and so do my 6 kids!

Welcome and good luck. Sounds like you've got a plan!

We sold the house in 30 minutes which shoved us into fast forward. I'm SO sick of selling stuff. I'm thinking a good thrift store, an itemized list and a receipt for taxes and heck with it!

I hope our sells quickly, but not too quickly, as there is no place for us to move into. Hub has called around - an extended stay motel would cost almost $2000 for one month, which is all we will need. My wish is that it sell quickly, but that the buyer will delay closing or let us rent it back for one month.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it has taken 14 months since the inception of the full time idea, for us to be getting close to listing the house. I had a lot of stuff to get rid of. A local collector bought a lot of my guns, and that made that easier. Been ebaying other things almost daily. I think we're 1-2 months out now from listing the house. The shop tools and machinery are all gone. We plan to camp nearby until the house sells, unless it takes a long time, then we may just live for the summer in the southern cascades. Or we may just stay in the house until it sells. And if I run across someone who needs a free watchman in exchange for a spot here in the area, we could just move the rest of the way out, and still be close by. Then my wife could still work until we know what's going on.

This is an interesting discussion and I guess there is no one answer. The rage is to stage houses. That's for sure. However our realtor that has sold our past houses and rentals thinks it's a fad and that it doesn't really matter. She favors empty houses and she has been one of top sales people in our town for many, many years. We've been leasing our house for around six years now and plan to put it on the market this summer. I hope the renters will stay so we can continue to get the mortgage covered and we will offer them a reduced rental rate if they will stay with the uncertainty. Otherwise the house will be empty. So we'll see....

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

• 2 weeks later...

We sold a few things, gave most of it to friends and local charities. We had 2700 books when we decided to sell the house, I gave one friend 1,500 books, another five or six hundred more. Sold a few duplicates of what were keeping, mostly books written by people we know, Greg Benford, Larry Niven, CJ Cherryh, Joe Clifford just to list a few. We kept all of our first editions, and first American Editions we have two 20 gallon Tupperware totes filled with books. As soon as the new floor is in I start on some bookshelves...

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

Archived