XANTEC RM 1012 AL INVERTER CHARGER - NEED SOME HELP

Refuzn-To-Grow-Up

The inverter, in my Volvo, has never worked. While I was doing some work in the area, where the inverter was located, I pulled it out (the battery and mega fuse connections had some serious corrosion on them). It is now sitting on my work bench.

The Volvo has a functioning APU (with a 7500 watt generator), so I really do not need the inverter, but I would like to get it working.

Does anyone have any schematics, instruction manual or a service manual they could scan and post to this thread? To bench test it, I will need know the pin out functions for the cables.

Also, I noticed that the "inverter" on/off switch, on the overhead console, above the drivers head, did not light up or supply 12 volts to the inverter, when I flipped it. So some help here would also be appreciated.

From what I have learned is that this inverter was specially made for Volvo trucks.

Thanks.

Jim

I know Xantrex was bought out by ProMariner, they might have support at their website?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Jim: I have one comment about inverters. If the basics (12V power and ground to the inverter, switch) are all working, but nothing is coming out...just replace. As an electrical engineer, I've spent countless hours trying to fix various inverters. Some of the big inverters are so costly, I figured it was worth replacing components. NOT: so far I'm at me 1, inverter gremlins 9.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The inverter is actually a "sealed" unit (not repairable). If I could get the pin out information, I could bench test it. Then, if does not come to life, I will trash it. I agree with you, it is not worth the effort to repair.

The Volvo inverter on/off switch is NOT delivering 12 volts to the inverter. I suspect that there is a large relay somewhere in the circuit and a fuse. I will need to search through the literature that came with the truck to see if I can get more info on this circuit.

I have too many projects and not enough time - sigh!

Jim - not much info, I have the book that came with the truck, that is the same that I posted. Mine inverts, but does not switch to shore power. The truck shore power plug is corroded, it is passing 120 v power, but I don't know if the neutral is connecting. (Non contact power sniffer). The complete 120v circuit, or the relay, anyway, no 120 shore power. I do know that I have seen the connections, Mark's schmetic or in the Impacc software, and do remember that it is there. Now to find it.

Thanks for looking.

• 4 months later...

Free to a good home.

I have no use for this inverter (my HDT has an APU) and I do not have the time to figure out why it does not work. One of the forum members sent me an instruction manual. I printed it out. So, you can have the manual too. This is very heavy and I would prefer that it be picked up in the Anaheim, CA area.

But if you want to have it shipped to you, I know a company that can build the box and ship to you, at your expense. I suspect that it will not be worth the expense.

Jim

95 volts, that might mean it is a MSW inverter and your meter doesn't have true RMS AC voltage circuitry. A meter without true RMS will measure the peak voltage and use that to calculate what it is going to display, with a MSW inverter the peak is much lower than with a sine inverter , generator or shore power.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Actually closer to modified square waves but the advertising folks hated that name and I guess if you modify a sine wave enough it would look like what the inverters do.

It looks like the Fluke 27 doesn't offer the True RMS function for AC voltage, something like the Fluke 179 does:

Fluke 27 -- http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-27.htm?PID=56055#

Fluke 179 -- http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-170.htm?PID=56027

Hard to find a true RMS reading meter for a decent price since they are rarely needed for a vast majority of meter users, they sell them but only tofolks willing to pay for the added complexity and cost.

Now I'm drooling over the new Fluke meters that I don't need but sound like so much fun to play with. Santa are you following this topic? Only 11 months til Christmas!

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Advanced-Multimeters/Fluke-289.htm?PID=56061

Archived