Rock guard for towed

Question for you who tow a vehicle. My "new" towed is over 30 years old. Needless to say the windshield would be a might hard to come by. Do you use some sort of rock guard? My old jeep was a piece of crap that already had a cracked windshield, so I didn't care. I did get a stone chip while towing, but can't honestly say it came from me. I've read varying reports of good and bad on the various guards and contraptions that people use. I honestly can't see how a rock could get to the windshield from my own tires. I have 9 feet of overhang and there are mud flaps behind the wheels anyway. The mudflaps aren't quite as wide as the tires on the outside, but that is much wider than a little 'ole VW truck.To get to the windshield a rock would have to travel somewhat low for 9 feet then abruptly rise to even get to the windshield. What are your thoughts?

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

I've seen rocks bounce like a rubber ball between the bottom of a vehicle and the road. Then once they get to the rear they bounce as high as a windshield. Murphy's Law ! Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We use a Protect-A-Tow for our toad and haven't had so much as a paint chip since we began towing with it in 2008. When the toad is unhooked, we roll the PAT up under the rear bumper and secure it with two small bungee cords. It only takes a minute to hook it up for travel.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have seen numerous products used with varying degrees of success. There are two which I believe actually work well. Kargard-Deflector.jpg.thumb_popupprod_in1451.jpg

The first is a rock shield from Blue Ox which mounts on the automobile side of the tow bar, just in front of the grill. We used one for several years with great protection. It folds in half for storage.

The second is an under-skirt that attaches to the top of the tow-bar and blocks things from bouncing up between the rear of the motorhome and the front of the towed car. I have seen those used also with great success.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One of the Protect-A-Tow features that we like is that it mounts completely under the tow bar, protecting the bar itself and the associated cables and wiring, as well as the toad.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

These are good but won't stop a rock bouncing from an oncoming vehicle.

A Star Wars Imperial Star Destroyer, but they are a bit large to carry.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Is there something that does? Nothing that I know of.....

Not that I know of and didn't say there was. Just trying to make the OP aware that whatever protection he applied it was unlikely to protect his precious historic windshield against one of the common rock hits. I use one of the type products you recomended, but I know it's limits.

Just trying to make the OP aware that whatever protection he applied it was unlikely to protect his precious historic windshield against one of the common rock hits.

You make a good point. It might be that he should consider some type of windshield cover for added protection. I think that most of us look more at rock chips in our paint than on the windshield. Before we got our rock guard, I don't remember having chips in the windshield but sure did in the paint on the front of our CR-V. I tired one of those mustache/brush type of things that go under the rear of the coach and as far as I was able to tell, the only thing that did was to lighten my wallet!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually a custom bra that covers the windshield will protect your car from most usual road hazards. When we were traveling in Alaska I used a doubled up blue tarp to prevent further damage, it worked just fine.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

Our experience: We don't have a rock guard but do have mud flaps behind the wheels. On our last Alaskan trip we saw folks actually removing the rock guards because they claimed they were throwing rocks. We did see vehicles with rocks laying at the base of the windshield. We had no damage to our Jeep the whole trip and no damage traveling for years in the lower 48.

After Alaska we encountered an all day heavy rain while driving around Salt Lake City. Just for something to do I did a little survey and watched RVs going in the opposite direction on the interstate. Those with rock guards had water being thrown up high on their hood. Those without rock guards had a much lower splash of water at the tire/grill area.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 6 months later...

What about the in wheel well mud flaps for rock protection .Seems to me if the ones that came with the motorhome which are 22 inches wide and 28 inches long were longer like 33 inches long they would knock down the rocks kicked up would not? Trouble is I do not know where to find single purchase of such custom size mud flaps.

I am considering towing with a two wheel tow dolly because the car we have at present can not be towed four wheels down. If the rocks are not being stopped at the wheels is there not the possibility of damage to the Motor Home underside?

The only thing that is going to protect your toad 100% is an enclosed trailer.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

When we went to Alaska in 2010, we bought piece of vinyl from Joan-Ann fabrics and closed he door on the ends. The fabric had a little padding to help with the impact of rocks. After the trip I used it to lay on when I had to go under the coach which was hardly ever. Jus to change the genny oil.

As posted earlier, I removed my long mud flap due to the reasons stated.

We now used a Kar guard by BO.

Don't have the full width mud flap, just the ones behind the wheels. My Saturn Vue has a two piece bra, an upper for a portion of the hood, lower for the lower front of the car. Have only used the bottom portion in our 5yrs. of fulltiming, even doing Alaska, and nary a ding, or chip on the car. Luck....maybe. But I knew about the full width flaps causing problems long before we went fulltime.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Like I stated earlier, we didn't have the full width mud flap, just the factory-installed ones behind the wheels. We didn't receive any damage to the MH underside or the towed. We did have a side radiator.

We have heard that when using the bra dust/grit can get behind it and scratch the paint. We don't have any experience with this. I would think it would be hard taking off the bra enroute to clean it and the car.

Many folks tow a car so it can be done. I think more tow 4-down than on a dolly. All I can say is to drive SLOW and not try to rush the trip. This will keep the road construction area gravel from doing damage. Also, when you see opposing vehicles coming at you, especially semi trucks, move over to the right at far as you can. We even stopped until they passed when traffic allowed us to do so. The construction areas are just like in the lower 48 - no different except that they could be much longer. It's not like you'll be driving over large rocks, just small-size gravel/dirt areas.

You WILL get dirty on the trip. We didn't even worry about trying to keep the motorhome clean. It got a good wash in Canada at an RV park when we were about finished. Bring your boots for this muddy job! You will, however, be washing your windows daily - dirt and BUGS. We carried windshield washer fluid for this purpose and it worked well by putting some in a bucket.

I surely wouldn't let any of this caution keep you from the awesome trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have heard that when using the bra dust/grit can get behind it and scratch the paint. We don't have any experience with this. I would think it would be hard taking off the bra enroute to clean it and the car.

You're right about the dust and grit. But the bra on our Saturn is really easy to take off. I always keep a good wax job on the front of the car, and take the bra off whenever we stay somewhere for any length of time. I use a small hand held Dirt Devil to keep the backside of the bra clean.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

If the flaps are too close to the ground, they will themselves kick up rocks in some conditions.

Yes I understand you need 6 inches from the ground for the mud flaps. The ones on our Thor Challenger are 24 inches long and if they were 33 inches there would still be the said 6 inches from the ground. I have read in other blogs that some Motor homes have had their mud flaps burn away from flying up against the tires? I have read some Motor homes with the full width rear rock guards have not been helpful?

There does not seem to be any good feed back on the need or effectiveness.

Fortunately for us we have a 2002 KIA with full body hail damage so will make the road trip with nothing added to the Motorhome or two wheel dolly and see how it goes.

My major concern now is the question about the mounted 105 lb propane tank right behind the rear wheels. Is there no concern for any rocks being kicked up to damage it? I have to assume if they are made this way there must not be. I have no information what it might take to puncture a tank, does anyone else? the propane tank is in a totally open space with no protection or guard to shield it from anything kicked up

Archived