Outdoor Enclosures for Cats

s106300

Many years ago, I saw a unique set up for 'camping cats'. One of the windows on the side of the RV was either removed or opened without the screen and a system of levels was attached to it so that the cats could come and go in and out to the grass below or go back inside without the owner having to do it for them. The owner had 2 cats and they really seemed to enjoy their little bit of indpendence. The sytem looked like strong mesh or a serious of metal crates linked together. I am sure that a lttle imagination could create somthing similar.

Carol

We used to have them made and resell them. They were called "RV Kitty Kondo's" The manufacturer sold his business but stayed on to run it. We went to buy more and they raised the wholesale price by about 50%, plus they wanted an order of at least $5,000 and we just couldn't see tying our money up that way. Still have a couple we use ourselves and the cats do enjoy them. Need to figure out how to mount them on the Magna we just bought.

You know, since we were the sellers of these Kondo's you'd think we have a lot of pictures of them, but we don't! I even disconnect the business phone number we had listed on the cage tag.

Here's a picture of our three Japanese Bobtails that travel with us. We have six cats now, the three JBT's and three rescues.

On edit: The cat on the left loves to walk on a leash. He's very friendly and has two different colored eyes (called "odd eye").

post-51489-0-72336200-1427572789_thumb.jpg

2009 45' Country Coach Magna 630 Cummins ISX 650/1950

Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA f47302s, SKP 118205
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle

California Dreamers:

I can't let this topic pass by without comment. As my name suggests, I am most definitely from the "dog community."

Whenever I see a cat being walked on a leash, instead of running free, I think to myself: "Now there is a good pet owner that cares abut their pet." If I do not have a dog with me I will stop and chat, and with permission, pet the cat.

Thank you being such a fine example of pet ownership.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Thanks, "Dog Folk." If I had a dog, I'd do the same. My feeling is once you take a pet on, it is up to you to keep them safe - just like you would do your kids. I doubt anyone would seriously think about letting their 2-year old run loose in the woods!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

• 3 weeks later...

We've been in our SnB since the end of January and our kitty is back home and happy. But we liked that kitty "window house" idea so we decided to build one. It took $20 of schedule 40 PVC, a bunch of ells and tees and one long pipe (all 1"). It took the DW and I about an hour working together in the shop to fabricate up a kitty house that hangs on the window.

He loved it! Right from the first moment. In fact now, when the window is closed, he tries to get us to open it (we leave it closed up on cold days). But he will spend hours out there watching for danger like the cougar he' like to be (and probably thinks he is).

We'll build another one for the RV. Our motor home doesn't have slideouts but does have large sliding windows. We'll set up hooks on the fiberglass exterior using 3M VHB tape, build another window-house for $20, and set it up in the bedroom where he can jump safely from the bed to the kitty-house.

We'll only glue the bits that have to be glued to safely hold the cat while he's in his house but leave enough unglued so we can disassemble it and store it easily when we're moving around.

Thanks for the ideas! Far better than shelling out $100 because it can be built custom for your window (and kitty).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

BigZ

The Cat Condo hanging off the side of the MH is a great idea. It looks like your using the awning for the mount. Are you just using the slot in the awning to hang it from?

Great Idea!

Dave

After looking a little closer I now see that it is hanging from the cover for the awning. Haven't got one of them right now but I just may have as I am now looking for a new fiver! We use a mesh tent and the cat loves it. She just sits out there and watches at everything that happens around us and she is perfectly content. So I am sure she will enjoy this when I get it built for her.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 4 months later...

Here's a picture of the RV Kitty Kondo tm that we used to have made and sell. The owner sold the business and then they doubled the price and wanted us to buy 50 at a time. Didn't want to tie up that much money at one time. I got a sheet of Lexan, cut it to fit the window, then put a cat door in it. The Kondo folds down to less than 2" thick.

We have one cat the loves to walk on a leash and I'm working wirh one of the others to do it too. We take all 6 cats with us and soon we'll have a 7th, another Japanese Bobtail

post-51489-0-04090500-1440221255_thumb.jpg

2009 45' Country Coach Magna 630 Cummins ISX 650/1950

Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA f47302s, SKP 118205
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle

• 7 months later...

We are full time and travel with 3 cats and a dog. Our cats use to be outdoor/indoor cats that freely roamed on our 5 acres in the mountains. Now that they live in the M.H. they go out on a leash and completely hate it even though they know it's the only way they get to go out now. I have been wanting to build a "catio" for them that would hang off the side of the slider window on the driver side of the bus. I LOVE the pics y'all have provided and really like the ideas. Question: How does it break down for travel. We would like to build something that the bugs won't get inside and breaks down to put in the basement for traveling. Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Eny

• 6 months later...

Here's a Cat House my neighbor has, (and builds) on their rig!

CatHouse1_zps4c66236a.jpg

CatHouse2_zps4982c5a8.jpg

And will be building one for a 5th wheel next week!

I'm afraid my 5 escape artists would be out of it with one swipe. I'm going with 1" chicken wire as my mesh. Been learning from the many designs I've seen in forums and from google images I'm starting with the playpens on the ground with connecting tunnels (1 X 8 cedar boards with a sturdy metal <self supporting>mesh tunnel stapled to the sides). Then work the same type of tunnels as ramps up to the small enclosure/platform entrance/exit at the right rear bedroom window. I'm making these 'boxes' with hinges and in collapsible sections so they can be easily managed. Each box's panels will be successively smaller than the next one so they can be fitted into the next size up for ease of storing in the bays. One of them also double as a small safety foyer for when on the road. I'm also fitting each window with rabbit wire in addition to the screens to keep my fuzzies from lunging thru screens.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe just go back to the basics?

Cat-Stuck-in-Jar.jpg

or from Amazon: Kaytee Run-About Mega 13-Inch Exercise Ball

71XAAwX4yRL._SL1500_.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

An RV'er at the campground has a setup similar to this but with a twist. He cut a hole in the floor of his RV to allow his cat to have free access to be inside or outside. Litter box must be inside since I didn't see one in the crate.

http://www.amazon.co...D0WF0MPFTAM6XFV

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are planning on putting up a cat enclosure on one of are small windows so our kitties can go out anytime they want. I am installing a small kitty door so we can run the AC without it going out the window. I'll post pictures soon.

We also made a Kitty Catwalk for inside our RV and our kitties love it. post-56560-0-84050500-1487438699_thumb.jpg

http://www.rvkittycatwalk.com

Archived