Where is Apple headed?

Ron

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hear we go again. Bash all tablets but Ipad day.

Barb was not bashing....she was teasing me....

And she is correct....I love it when Apple innovates a new market. They have made some great markets....I just don't think many of their products are best in class. Just my personal opinion.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I found this article to provide some interesting insight into the importance and the implications of some of the new software announced at the WWDC. Especially interesting to me was the game performance developers are able to achieve on an iPad. Just one more thing that IMO will continue to drive a larger percentage of consumers to the Apple "ecosystem" (I hate that word but it seems to have become a part of our language).

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

I didn't keep links but Apple has a new glass plant near Mesa, AZ that apparently is turning out some amazing glass at a much higher rate than had been expected. Better glass, less scratches and less likely to shatter is going to be a big selling point.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 4 weeks later...

Today's news that Apple and IBM will be teaming up to compete for the next generation of Corporate IT technology came as a big surprise to nearly everyone. IMHO this is by far the BIGGEST news regarding where Apple is headed and will have a huge impact on their future growth and stock price. If you are invested in Apple this is very good news, and if you are already a user of apple products this is good news. It seems to me this is one of those rare corporate "marriages made in heaven". The synergy of these two high reputable companies will be of huge benefit to both. This is also further proof that Apple without Steve Jobs will be just fine in the hands of Tim Cook. I don't often pay much attention to Jim Cramer's investment advice but I'm in full agreement with his take on this partnership. Another article from Seeking Alpha has a good take on this news along with some good follow-up comments from readers.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

Ron, it seems that one must sign up for the newsletter in order to read the links to "Seeking Alpha." Do you know of any work around?

Kirk, I didn't think one needed to be a registered user of the Seeking Alpha to just view articles. I just logged out of Seeking Alpha, then clicked on the link in my post, and it took me to the article even though I was not signed-in. I'm curious if any other folks are having this same problem. In any case it's easy to register as a user on their site and this will allow you to get real-time updates on stocks you are interested in, post comments to articles, and access to several other features. IMHO this is one of the most valuable and useful sites for active investors.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

I HATE ITUNES !

Now, between SHE and I we have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Windows 8.1 convertibles, and 2 Windows XP fall backs. I bought a MacBook and shortly after gave it to my Granddaughter because I wanted some control over what it was doing. Unlike Jack, I do like the Apple hardware (as in iphones & iPads, the MacBook felt cheap). But I am trying to get away from AAPL for the same reason I dumped the MacBook...Loss of any control. They have made it now so iOS "updates" are preformed whether you want them, or not. Apple is also now, it seems, routing all internet activity on the pads and phones thru their servers. I want OUT of AAPL, but I find the Windows system on a tablet lacking speed and sensitivity of the iOS, and Android is to "Wild West" for me.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Dave, I like Apple hardware just fine, with the exception of iPads. I just think it is grossly overpriced, and extremely restrictive. I have an iPod which I like fine - except for iTunes, which is likely one of the poorest written pieces of software that has been widely distributed. The user interface on it is the culmination of all the poor user interfaces Apple has ever written. It is a textbook example of how to confuse people.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I HATE ITUNES !

Now, between SHE and I we have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Windows 8.1 convertibles, and 2 Windows XP fall backs. I bought a MacBook and shortly after gave it to my Granddaughter because I wanted some control over what it was doing. Unlike Jack, I do like the Apple hardware (as in iphones & iPads, the MacBook felt cheap). But I am trying to get away from AAPL for the same reason I dumped the MacBook...Loss of any control. They have made it now so iOS "updates" are preformed whether you want them, or not. Apple is also now, it seems, routing all internet activity on the pads and phones thru their servers. I want OUT of AAPL, but I find the Windows system on a tablet lacking speed and sensitivity of the iOS, and Android is to "Wild West" for me.

I am curious what you mean by "I wanted some control over what it was doing"? My MacBook Air only does what I tell it to do and since I don't play games, it also does everything I need it to do.

I also have total control of when iOS updates occur on my iPhone. What evidence do you have about the internet routing issue? Anything related to iCloud definitely goes through Apple servers.

I will grant that iTunes is a challenge to understand. I have not seen the Windows version, so it might be even worse.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

I will grant that iTunes is a challenge to understand. I have not seen the Windows version, so it might be even worse.

The Windows version is terrible...but so is the Apple hardware version that I have seen. They seem not to care, since they only make it worse over time. I have no idea what group is working on it, but they ought to be fired. I'm moving off of the iPod so I will be "free" of the iTunes mess. There are far better solutions these days what with phones being computers....

www.jackdanmayer.com

I've never really understood the problem everyone has with iTunes. We use it all of the time for music and books and never have a problem. What is it that you are trying to do that you can't do?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

IF you KNOW how to stop iOS system updates ( know the difference in App & system updates) please post it. Google iOS WISPir connection, you will gain a little knowledge, but I'm sure there is more to it than you will find.

Want a discussion on iTunes....just post how much you love it on any computer forum.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Well, actually I'm talking about downloading the update....unrequested on my Millenicom account. If you don't install the update that Apple has determined you need, it will re-download the update.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Dave W is correct. If the device is on WIFI AND on AC power, under some circumstances an IOS update will download automatically. This affected a lot of people when IOS7 first came out.

I have no way to prove this, but it might have to do with backup options. My wife's iPad is always on WIFI and it does not behave this way. It is set up to backup to iTunes on the computer, not to iCloud. When she starts iTunes and connects the iPad after an update is available, iTunes will prompt to download / update, but it can be dismissed.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

My IPhone and IPad will not synch or backup on my Windows 7 desktop. The desktop is an HP All-in-One with an Intel Core i7-2600s processor @ 2.8GHz, 8 gb of ram, 64bit OS and touch screen.

Itunes recognizes the IPone and IPad, but goes of into neverland when the backup starts. Never finishes, and I have left it for hours with the "backup" running.

To make things more interesting, I have a little Dell netbook running W7 entry, or whatever you call it, with a little Atom processor and 1 GB of memory, I think. I can synch and backup both Apple devices on it without issue.

Anyone see anything like that?

OBTW, I'm a retired IBM guy, and am not computer illiterate!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Well, actually I'm talking about downloading the update....unrequested on my Millenicom account. If you don't install the update that Apple has determined you need, it will re-download the update.

To avoid this, turn off WiFi before you plug in to charge the phone.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

...Loss of any control. They have made it now so iOS "updates" are preformed whether you want them, or not. Apple is also now, it seems, routing all internet activity on the pads and phones thru their servers.

At this time I only use an Iphone and a Ipod along with Itunes on the MS laptop. In all of mine they always ask me about any updates. MS dose updates automatically without asking also if you set it up in the recommended way. Pam has a Mac and I think hers also asks first.

I agree with Jack that Apple seems over priced to me and they also keep rigid control of all hardware, but as our son points out correctly, their stuff works with far less difficulties or crashes than is the case with the Microsoft OS equipment and the add on items for Apple products are truly "plug & play" while I find that more and more the Microsoft OS equipment add-on system should be called "plug & pray!" Mac's are expensive but they are also far better constructed than most of the competing MS powered laptops and they rarely ever crash, while using MS a lot will soon make you a crash recovery expert!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Mac's are expensive but they are also far better constructed than most of the competing MS powered laptops and they rarely ever crash, while using MS a lot will soon make you a crash recovery expert!

Kirk,

Mind explaining your source and rationale for stating how they are "far better constructed?"

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Kirk,

Mind explaining your source and rationale for stating how they are "far better constructed?"

I'm not Kirk but after many years of using HPs and Dells at work and using Apples at home I agree with Kirk's assertion. You might disagree since "better" can be measured in many ways and it might depend on one's priorities. PC Mag seems to agree with Kirk and me but there are other surveys and measures that probably disagree.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

I'm not Kirk but after many years of using HPs and Dells at work and using Apples at home I agree with Kirk's assertion.

I like your answer, along with a few personal observations such as the Mac's metal case and other such things which can be easily observed. Apple products are not cheap but they really do what they say that they will, which isn't always the case with many other manufacturers. I was a Dell supporter for years but after having to use their "on site" repair services 6 times in four years for my last one, I moved away from them.

I am not a computer "expert" but I was in electronic & electrical service & repair work for 40 years(32 years in 3M field service), was certified to provide warranty service on both IBM & Compaq equipment(way back in the 90's) and believe that experience has made me competent to judge quality of construction and reliability as well as most people and perhaps better than many. In addition have have two sons who are computer professionals and a daughter who used to be. My programer son was a certified hardware tech for Dell, HP, and IBM computer equipment and for LAN systems and servers for about 10 years(working for EDS) prior to shifting to writing software about 5 years ago(working now for Jack Henry). Our family regularly discusses computers, computer experiences, and we share articles on the subject and those also influence my views. I hope that will answer any challenge to my qualifications and background.

The forums are supposed to be open to various opinions and this happens to be mine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there are times that some of us just do not agree. I suppose that may be part of the reason that more than one manufacturer and operating system continue to exist.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived